Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-15, 08:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Well, it looks as though my fat fasting might need to be bi-weekly as I am back up a pound and a half. I am not even implying that that means a weight gain because I know that there are always normal fluctuations but I have had no more loss.

If, by Monday, I have still not had any more loss I will fat fast for 3 days again. I might try one a little less strict, such as following some of Dana Carpender's recipes. My sister said she'd do it with me. She would NEVER do the cream cheese and macadamia but will consider one with some flavor and variety.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-15, 10:52
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Y'know, Kathy, it takes a while to get into deep ketosis (my terminology). That's why if we break ranks and go on a carb fest it may take weeks to get back into ketosis.

Yesterday was a fast day for me which meant coffee with cream and water until dinner. Then I had salami and cream cheese for dinner. It wasn't planned but one of "those" days. I had to leave work early to go to the endocrinologist in town (25 miles) in my car without air-conditioning in high humidity and heat (Jim had to stay home waiting for the dishwasher installation), get blood work, stop at the store because we were out of everything, survive a torrential downpour and rush hour traffic to get home in time for Jim to dash off to teach his class, and wait for the dishwashers and installers (who came at 6:15 PM!). There was no way I was going to cook, cut up veg, or make a salad. Cream cheese and salami it was. Hmmph.

So give it time and go with it. Maybe your body is the kind that needs this. I've learned to go with what the body dictates. That was the harm of the oc, in my opinion. There were "facts" and skewed facts presented to everyone placing the onus on them if it didn't work. We can't do that. We're each different. All medicines don't work for everyone and exact eating doesn't either. Add to that the urban legends of message boards and it's a recipe for disaster. See what happens and work around it. I'm pulling for you. You've done wonders to get my head back in the game. You go, girl!

The endocrinologist's office just called. Blood work is perfect. My A1c is 5.5 (it was 5.4 last year), TSH is 1.36 which is really the focus since stopping the thyroid meds. He states I am not diabetic or prediabetic. That's a big deal in my book because my mom died of complications of Type II. It's one of the reasons I test my blood glucose daily. The other reasons are it helps me see what foods cause huge spikes in glucose and my intolerance to them, and I know when glucose is down, ketones are up. I also use keto strips because they work for me. I'm a ketone thrower like nobody's business WHEN I'm in ketosis. I'm working on getting back there again.

I have the Dana Carpender fat fast cookbook too. Lots of ideas.

I never considered the fat fast seriously but you've sure helped me with that. Thanks, Kath!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-15, 13:58
It's Only Food!

BF:

Interesting results from Cornell University

How Often Should You Weigh?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-15, 20:54

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I was actually up a bit this morning back at 160. But I have been at 159 or 160 for a week now. The interesting thing, I went to see my counselor today. A month ago I weighed 166 on his scale, the first time it had gone up...it was a pound above the month before. Today I weighed 161 on his scale. He was pretty surprised. I won't go back for 6 months now. He told me to stay below 165 and I said, I plan to stay below 160.

Blue, I loved your photos of your trip. A lot of them look like they could be right around here. When you mentioned learning about corn drying, it reminds me of some of the amazing things I have learned since I have lived in Iowa. One is all about the sex life of corn. The first summer I was here I got to see it all up close and personal. Who knew? I later learned the importance of corn drying. You leave the seed corn in the fields until it is almost dry. That saves a lot of time and money on the drying. In October people will ask each other about what percent they are. They mean percent moisture. I have always been fascinated about what they grow where ever I have lived. In East Texas, I had to learn about cotton ginning and in south Texas it was rice. But this is one of the most fascinating places I have lived for watching the corn from planting to harvest. One year I photographed a field in all seasons.

My son and family are visiting in Manassas right now. Guinevere's mother and step father live there. They have been on a great historical trek. Including where our ancestors landed in the US in the 17th century (Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina) and where my father's ancestors lived after they crossed Cumberland Gap into Kentucky. I recently learned why none of them stayed in Maryland. It seems that the Catholics ran the Protestants out of Maryland and into Virginia and North Carolina.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 07:09
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Susan, I'm just south of Manassas. They are just a stone's throw away.

Glad you enjoyed the pics. It's what we saw as we sped down the highway. It's a challenge to get good shots but I enjoy it.

Jim used to farm there and imparted his knowledge of beans and corn. Beans only need air dryers because they are pretty much dry when harvested, unlike corn that can retain moisture. Propane tanks pretty much indicate if a drying bin is for corn or beans since heat is necessary to dry the corn to acceptable percentages. They also have to tumble for proper ventilation. Bean dryers have drying floors with fans that just move the air. Then I learned about seed corn and how to recognize it in the field as opposed to hybrid corn. It's stuff I've seen my whole life but never understood what I was seeing. I thought those round metal bins were just cribs holding grain. Who knew? I love traveling because I learn lots and lots of stuff as you have found out. We also talked about hearing corn grow. You really can and even I have heard that myself. Corn grows fast and at night one can actually hear a faint squeaking sound as it grows and expands.

In July we're heading to the horse country of Kentucky and will stay at a B&B on a horse farm. It's also smack dab in the middle of the Bourbon Trail. I'll be painting for 3 days in a workshop while the guys play golf and probably go to distilleries. I hope to make a few of those myself!

I'm down .6 pounds this morning so I've lost the trip weight. I am SO happy about that. Now I'm working on getting back to the teens.

I thought that article was interesting about daily weighers versus other tracking. I've found it keeps me honest as well. So does logging food. I'm back to both again. I need structure. Others may not, but it really does help me and it gives me a bit of security knowing what's what and not guessing.

Today Jim is showing houses to people relocating from Arizona. I have to paint. I have a deadline that will be looming and with having to pack up the house for the flooring, spare time is at a premium.

So with that, I'll see you...

Later, 'gators!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-15, 08:33
It's Only Food!

BF:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmph.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-15, 09:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Really, Blue??????? Here's a hug

Just a quick hola a todas.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-15, 10:57
It's Only Food!

BF:

Aw Sherri, thanks for the hug. I just wanted to post "hmmph" but it wasn't long enough so I had to add more letters.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-21-15, 20:15

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I feel an ice cream attack coming on. Am deciding what goal I have to reach before I get it. Probably won't be a scale goal but maybe a stop procrastinating and do something goal.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dari-barn-grinnell

Oh how I would love to have a turtle sundae.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 07:53
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Getting into ketosis more and more. I upped my fat yesterday, dove into my low carb veg, had steak, lots of butter and I have begun drinking more water and iced tea. This morning my glucose was much lower and I'm down a half pound. There was a mini happy dance in the bathroom this morning.

My endocrinologist shakes his head at me when I tell him I test blood glucose daily. I'm not diabetic and he firmly states I'm not prediabetic so why bother.

1. Because I can.
2. When glucose is down, ketones are up and they are darned expensive to test.
3. I learn what foods cause a rise in glucose and hinder weight loss.

These past couple of weeks I've learned that almonds shoot my blood sugar to amazing levels and a piece of cherry pie doesn't. Surprised the heck out of me. (No, I'm not going to put pie on my eating list. It was a special event when we visited a dear friend back home. I enjoyed every bite of it too.)

The almonds gave a noticeable spike in glucose. I knew they really stalled weight loss but now I see indicators as to why. I'm not touching those rascals again until I'm at goal and well into maintenance. Nope. They are toxic to me. I wonder why...

Susan, I hear you about ice cream. <sigh>

I finally started painting. That hurdle has been met and passed. So far I'm happy with it. Let it last!

Have to scoot. Lots to do.

Later 'gators. Oh......and stink eye all around.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 09:26

Blue, love the new avatar! Very nice!

Sorry guys for the infrequent postings. I am still at mom's helping out since she broke her shoulder and we're finding great ways to stay busy and have fun.

So, my fat fast experiment resulted in a maintained (so far, at least) 4 pound weight loss. There was an initial loss of 5.5 and I expected some of that to bounce back up and it did. Now, I am exactly where I've been stalled for over a year. Blue, I don't think deep ketosis does a thing for me. I pretty much stay in ketosis based on my strict low carb habits. Whether it's "deep" or not, I am not going to find out. I just don't want to start walking that road where I test myself for ketosis. Maybe, one day...but not today.

The fat fast worked for me, at least to get me back to where I was and no longer over the 200 pound mark. I couldn't live with that. Since, all it achieved was an initial weight loss but did not trigger further weight loss, I plan on doing it again next M-W. Maybe this is how I can eventually get back to the 180s. And, hope beyond hope, the 170s! If that ever happens, then of course comes the challenge of maintaining.

Happy Tuesday everyone!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 12:43
It's Only Food!

BF:

Maybe higher fat is all you need. This is all a crap shoot for every one of us. I'm learning what I can and can't eat along the way. Sucks to be us sometimes but then again, we could have it worse.

How is your mom doing? Is she on the mend?
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 13:10

Oh yeah, she's doing great! Frustrated that she can't do more right now. Her follow up appt. is next Wednesday to get stitches out and further instructions. She's hoping he'll allow a little more freedom from the sling. We'll see.

See? I've done the "add more fat" thing. It's just another of the gazillion tweaks I've tried over the years. And the "reduce protein" tweak. It's like you said, "It's a crap shoot for all of us." I also believe it will be a constant in our lives. We are just the sort that will always have to struggle to lose and struggle to maintain. LOL It might suck to be us but you are oh so right..it could be worse. I believe, at the very least, that we are healthy even IF we aren't at the weight of our desires.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 13:12
It's Only Food!

BF:

Wow. Jimmy Moore put me on his facebook page. 15 minutes and all that.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 13:22
It's Only Food!

BF:

Good to hear about your mom. I know it's been hard on you taking care of everyone. Not easy being the caregiver. Being out of your environment is an added factor. Keep me posted!

Kathy, the other kicker is that our own bodies change as we go along so what may have worked once may need tweaking in the future. However I am still believing there is something out there that will be effective for you. I've seen your pics and you look great. It isn't about looks. It's about being healthy and happy. I am still working on getting below 200. It's important to me, but I won't loose citizenship on Earth if I don't make it. I'm blessed with really good testing numbers so in this moment in time I'm satisfied. I've had a rough couple of years but I'm improving.