Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 16:42

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 215/212/170 Male 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Diabetic ready to get sugars lower and lose weight!

I have been a type one diabetic for 40 years. I have come here for emotional support. My journey has been one of doing well for a year low carbing/tight sugar control, fall off the band wagon for a year eating carbs, and eventually back at it etc. So I have never been able to be consistent with my low carb eating for more than a year. I'd like that to change and am seeking support from all you guys. Thanks and nice to meet everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 16:58

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi HappyHop! Welcome! This is a great place for support. I’d recommend starting a journal. I find it very helpful to write down my food and exercise each day - I see patterns emerge as far as triggers and binges go. Sometimes other posters see the correlations before I do. Maybe you’ll find a journal helpful too.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 17:43

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 215/212/170 Male 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tess9132 - nice to meet you and thank you for the journal suggestion. I could see that being helpful so I will definitely keep that in mind.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 21:19

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'm a Type 1 also.
I'm not consistent in eating low carb.
So far haven't had any side affects from the diabetes.
Although I do have heart disease also.
Best wishes to you and welcome to the forum.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 22:31

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Welcome Happy! Looking forward to your journal start...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Happy
There is a forum for Dr Bernstein's diet and other diabetes information under the health section...http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45.
There are new posts on managing T1D with LC, people like Dr Keith Runyon (his e book is also good) and Dr Troy Stapleton, both athletes. You likely know about Dr B's "Diabetes University" and the TypeOneGrit FB group. We are all here for you with emotional support, there is even another sub-forum on Emotional Issues if that is what you need, or maybe join a buddy group or start a journal.
All the best,
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 09:26
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

See the success that others here on this forum have had making low carb a permanent lifestyle change was highly motivational for me. Just knowing that it really is possible gave me the confidence that I could do it, too. This forum is like a reality TV show for me, with emphasis on the reality. Reading about the struggles people have with staying on-plan and consequences of falling off the wagon are just as motivational. I have a life-long history of off and on dieting. I identify with that struggle. I lived it for decades.

Somehow the finally took hold in my brain. I HAVE TO STAY LOW CARB FOR LIFE. I don't have a choice. There is no other way for me to succeed. The struggle to stay on plan fades with consistent LC eating. I fear falling off the wagon and the life of struggle that will return if I do. I have been eating low carb for nearly 4 years. While I've never returned to eating pure junk, I have walked the slippery slope... that fine line between eating too many carbs to stay in control. For me more carbs means more struggle. I keep hoping that I've learned that lesson for good.

I wish you the best. Your life will be better if you can find that thing within you that will make this WOE stick. It is not easy to make a lasting change. Know that it is possible and that YOU can do it.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Oct-16-17 at 09:52.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 09:41

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
SWhile I've never returned to eating pure junk, I have walked the slippery slope... that fine line between eating too many carbs to staying in control. For me more carbs means more struggle. I keep hoping that I've learned that lesson for good.

I've done the same. Each time the lesson gets more entrenched in my brain - I hope to someday never fall off the wagon!