Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 16:45

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 210/170/150
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default About Food Combining

My husband and I have been food combining for a little over a year now on the diet called "Somersizing". He has lost 110 pounds and I have lost about 60. The rules you stated are about right. We can have fruit only on an empty stomache (like early in the morning or three hours after a meal constitutes an empty stomache). Proteins and vegetables are eaten together, (these meals are known as protein/fat meals), or starches such as pasta (whole wheat pastas only), whole grain breads, beans and such can be eaten with vegetables - - only these meals can not have any fat included in them. (These meals are known as carbohydrate meals). I try to drink at least 8 glasses or 64 ounces of water a day, extra if possible, and take a multi vitamine. My weight loss has slowed down considerably since I only have about 20 more pounds to go....but we're still trying.

Hope this helps a little. Read the book...I'm sure you'll find it quite interesting!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 23:13

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 212/184/177
BF:24%/9%/6%
Progress: 80%
Default Food Combining

For all those considering Food Combining,

1.) It works, but not why you think. You will lose tons of weight if you follow the principles.
2.) It is safe, healthy, but probably unnecessary.

However, there is nothing magic about it and if you figure out why it works you can break some rules.

I have done a decent amount of web research and most nutritionists and doctors don't seem to think that the body really has that much trouble with the combining of NATURAL foods. Most processed foods filled with hydrogenated oils or hypercaloric sugars can cause problems. Maybe they are wrong, but I still don't believe that this causes the weight loss. It probably does help cleanse the body and this will give you more complete nutrition.

Most food combining diets recommend LOTS and LOTS of natural fruits and vegetables. They are FULL OF FIBER which cannot be digested but makes you feel full. Of course you will lose weight. One cup of plain spaghetti has 185 calories. I can usually eat three cups, no problem because by the time my stomach sends me the full signal, I have eaten it all. You have to eat almost 23 cups of brocolli to do the same thing (24 cals/cup instead of 185). Go ahead and try it. Not to mention, when I at my 3 cups of pasta, I always had to drink milk and have meat sauce. My low carb lifestyle helps me control cravings, but the reason I lose weight is the caloric deficit and not some magic (except for the fact that it takes more calories to turn protein into glucose so I am cranking up my basic metabolism just by eating 250 grams of protein each day).

Show me someone who can eat 4000 calories a day on a food combining diet and I promise you, they get fat just like everyone else.

Another good principle you learn. You have to wait several hours to eat something else if you want to switch macronutrients so you learn to space your meals out.

Like I said, this is not rocket science.

Last edited by bdocili : Thu, Aug-29-02 at 23:19.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-07, 10:00

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 213/202/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Somersizing

I have been Somersizing off and on for the last 5 years. I also suffer from depression and when it is full swing I find that I don't care as much about losing weight. But, the program works great and I really do like it. The hardest part was giving up potatoes. I grew up on them and love them very much. After the first week of being on the program, I lost my craving for them and for sugar. So from then on it is easy to follow. But having said all that - I feel strongly that not everyone responds well to this program. I feel that there are those that need to avoid proteins more than carbs based on their chemistry. So for people who try the Somersizing and after 3 months are not noticing a difference I would suggest a low protein diet instead. The reason I say that is because I have friends who have tried Somersizing and were not seeing results so they switched to a low protein diet and saw results almost immediatly. So, I just feel that we all have to find what works for us and it may take a long time to do.

Dina
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 16:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 156.4/156.4/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just trying to spark some interest in this woe. I think it's going to work great for me. I'd like to hear from others who are fc'ing.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 07:35

Plan: LC/Atkins-ish/My own-ish
Stats: 202/197/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi there!

I've done food combining before, and now I'm back to it. It works amazingly for me. It's just hard to keep it up 100% of the time, especially when eating out or at a friend's house...
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 09:55
curiousone

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default with with glue-foods

I think we need to look at wine.

When it comes to the glue-er foods...like cheese and bread...
It seems its traditional to drink wine with this stuff...

The reason is some of the gluey type components are alcohol-soluble. So basically drinking wine with some of the gluey meals makes you able to get more out of wheat for instance, with less harm/digestive stress.

I think thats why they drink wine.

Probably how you can have such big 5 course meals... but without wine it wouldn't digest as well...

Seems thats how the French and Italians adapted to their local cuisine... they knew they had lots of wheat, and to make the most of it...it needs to be eaten with wine.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 07:00

Plan: Own Plan
Stats: 187/178.5/132 Female 157
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hey Guys Just reading through this thread and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth re food combining [Fit for LIfe]. I discovered this WOE many years ago. I lost 20+ kilos in around 4 months and was the HEALTHIEST I've ever been. The biggest factor of this WOE was the HUGE amount of energy I felt before the end of the first week...I had never had that much energy in my life! I started walking 10 mins a day and by the end of the 2nd month I was walking 2 hrs am and 1 hr pm...by end of 3rd month I was able to jog around a football field...I had never jogged in my life...AND I was still smoking I was never hungry on this WOE...I had plenty of good oils and used butter on my veges...if I didn't want meat for a meal I had lovely, fresh, crusty bread [yum]. My favourite morning food was a frozen banana blended with the juice of a couple of oranges [better than coffee...which I still had but waited till midday].

I have a friend who I recommended this WOE too. She was 5' 1" and weighed 166kg!!! In 2 years of following this WOE she was 55kg and has maintained all these years [9yrs].

I fell out of this WOE when I was doing a lot of shift work. I no longer do that and so have been thinking I will get into it again...I have been doing a lot of 'research' about low carb, which I think sounds good, but when I think about it fit for life could be pretty low carb anyway if you wanted.

I know everyone is different but just thought I would let others know that this can be a very good WOE...my brother and sister also took on this WOE and still follow the basic principle to this day [to their benefit].

Probably the only drawback with this WOE is, because of the amount of energy you get you really do need to have the abililty to be able to take up a form of exercise in order to use it all up....
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 09:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/212/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Somersize

I tried the food combining plan from Suzanne Somers. I believe that she promotes eating most of your carbs in the morning. They are complex carbs no white flour or sugar. Insulin is not as senstive in the morning hours, and then the rest of the day she promotes protein and fats. I didn't like it because no nuts were allowed..yikes... Just my 2 cents worth
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-08, 20:25

Plan: montignac & food combinin
Stats: 136/132/130 Female 1.73
BF:
Thumbs up Montignac/Somersizing!!!!

I started a week ago and love it
Is anybody doing it too?
I would love to share and get different opinions
Thanks
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 17:00

BF:
Thumbs up Hi I ve been doing Montignac/Somersizing and love it! =)

I started a week ago and it's been great....
The food is great
You dont have to mix fats with carbs
so it would be like this:

~carbs ( pasta whole wheat, brown rice or pearled barley etc), with veggies, and fat free dairy
~proteins, with veggies and fat
Please let me know if anybody want to know more
I 'd also like to meet people doing this diet too, well is mostly a way of life.... it''s not what I consider dieting
By the way I ve done atkins and many more, and this is the healthiest most balanced plan so far and it feels good!
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 17:07

BF:
Smile When have you started this diet? I really like it and it's working great with me

Please send me an e-mail if you are still doing it so we can share ideas and menues etc
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaroo
Thanks again for the support. I'm still plugging away. It will be one week tomorrow :0 As for giving up coffee...well, me and Taster's Choice Decaf have formed quite the relationship in the last couple of days. I'm sure decaf is not the greatest thing, but it's warm in my tummy in the morning and I like the flavour (I can hear some of you groan about decaff...and here's the kicker....it's instant!) Ahhhhhh!

I've been looking over those recipes for sure and I'm going to try out that tai chicken (can't remember the exact name) from Karen's gourmet site..the one that you put on a platter. Look yummy

I made some lettuce wraps last night (out of my head)...ground beef fryed with onions and garlic. I put a dab of dried mustard in and just a dab of BBQ sauce and a tad of ground corriander. Then chopped up some tomatoe, green onions and shredded some cheddar cheese. I put some ground mixture in big leaves of iceberg lettuce, added a spoonful of the toms, onions, cheese and then rolled them up. Yum. I'm thinking I could also make this into a taco too (without the tortilla).

Cherio,

#57   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-09, 20:20

BF:

I believe low carb diets work better that the diet that I chose to do right now ( somersizing), and I lost a lot of weight while doing atkins myself
But it just seems healthier to be able to eat rice and crackers as well as cereal in the morning
it is a new world for me.. hopefully in terms of weight is good too.
I'll share soon, I started only 10 days ago
Anybody else doing it?
Bye bye and happy new year!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-09, 19:16

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

When I read Fit For Life years ago, there were parts I agreed with and parts I didn't. I adopted the fruit in the morning part, and I've been doing that for many years until I started low-carbing. I gave up the fruit, but eating fatty stuff in the morning feels wrong to me. I'm going back to the fruit in the morning part. I like the cleansing effect.

Meg