Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein - Low carb
Stats: 152/140/125 Female 5'4
BF:32%/26%/18%
Progress: 44%
Default Armour side effects?

I am on day 2 of taking Armour...and although the first day was great..today I have had a headache and felt a little "Off".. I know that's kind of vague...but just wondering..? I had taken Synthyroid for a bit...and never felt a thing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 20:34
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sheridan:

Nat's better at explaining the technical stuff, but I experienced some headaches and had some palpitations when I started my Armour/Thyroid. At first I was concerned that I was going hyper, but then everything sorted itself out once my body adjusted to the thyroid.

I think I read somewhere that people who have adrenal issues can experience this adjustment phase. .... oh, I found the link that addresses it:
http://www.mbschachter.com/hypothyroidism.htm

Quote:

If a person has evidence of weak adrenal function, as discussed in my article on Stress and Adrenal Insufficiency, the adrenal gland problem must be treated first or simultaneous to the thyroid treatment. The reason for this is that hydrocortisone is necessary for the conversion of T4 to the active T3. If the weak adrenals are not addressed, the patient may actually feel worse and/or develop symptoms of an overactive thyroid gland, such as palpitations, a rapid heart beat, and increased sweating. Clues to low adrenal functioning include a low blood pressure (less than 120/80), allergies, asthma, breathing difficulties, skin problems (such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, lupus, dry flaky skin), joint or muscle pains, as in arthritis, and emotional problems, such as mood swings, weeping, fears and phobias. Using low physiologic doses of hydrocortisone along with Armour thyroid, when the patient shows evidence of both low adrenal and low thyroid functions will help to assure the desired results.
After a couple of days, things settled down, except for my sleep problems, which were addressed with additional T4.

HTH (at least until Nat stops by)
Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 20:39
Registered Member

Hmmm... Thanks Wanda.. Exactly the problem. I Was hauling to a Rodeo today and was worried about how I was feeling...so I whipped into a WalMart and had to park the horse trailer and all in the parking lot while I ran in and cut in line at the Blood pressure machine! lol! I made some Senior citizens mad I think. Now my blood pressure has always been a bit low and today it was 128 over 68...as usual. Adrenal fatigue..you think?? I will read the link in hopes that I will get info to discuss with my Dr.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 20:48
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Sheridan:

Maybe I'm only slightly hypoadrenic b/c my body adapted fairly quickly and I didn't feel overly bad. Just a bit weird once the T3 kicked in. Nat will know better, but I'd guess that the discomfort will pass in a couple of days.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 20:51
Mad Scientist

BF:

LOL, I'm trying to find your dosage but I can't. Too many boards. What is your starting dosage? Also are you slowly increasing your dosage?

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 20:54
Registered Member

lol.. I've got three boards open right now...
It is only day 2 on the Armour and yesterday was marvelous! I never felt anything on the Synthyroid. Today...the headache and a bit breathless and "weird" really is the perfect word. I feel fine now though. And my dosage is only 1/4 of a grain. We didn't discuss raising it until we did blood in 20 or so days...
BTW...read your journal the other day and wanted to drive to your house and give you a hug! What a journey you have been on... So much of it was very similar to mine and I felt every step of it with you! You are very enduring and resiliant, my friend!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 21:03
Mad Scientist

BF:

LOL, what did we do before multitasking? I've got 2 open.

That dose seems pretty small so I probably wouldn't worry too much about the weird feeling as long as it goes away. Of course, I'm writing down a disclaimer that Nat's opinion overrides mine.

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 21:05
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
BTW...read your journal the other day and wanted to drive to your house and give you a hug! What a journey you have been on... So much of it was very similar to mine and I felt every step of it with you! You are very enduring and resiliant, my friend!
Thanks, you're a doll! I'd love to hear your story.

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 21:14
Registered Member

I never thought about writing mine?? I wonder why?? I think I will. It was so theraputic to read yours...writting mine might just help me and possibly somebody else.
I don't feel as weird tonight...so I am probaly fine. But the adrenals are your specialty and I am going to take your advice and persue the issue with my wonderfully open minded Dr...

Last edited by Sheridan : Sat, Nov-13-04 at 21:33.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 21:26
Mad Scientist

BF:

Yes Sheridan, I highly recommend it. It's something I often go back to read whenever I feel myself getting impatient or frustrated. It's helpful for us to remember how far we've come in those circumstances.

If you're looking for a good book on Adrenal Fatigue, the book by James L. Wilson is the best. There's also a great website by Dr. Lam.

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 22:00

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan
It is only day 2 on the Armour and yesterday was marvelous! I never felt anything on the Synthyroid. Today...the headache and a bit breathless and "weird" really is the perfect word. I feel fine now though. And my dosage is only 1/4 of a grain. We didn't discuss raising it until we did blood in 20 or so days...

Hiyah, Toots

Do you know your FT numbers? I can't remember if you posted them or not. Depending on how low they were (in particular your FT3) what you're feeling is quite normal.

Are you splitting that dose? How soon after taking it do you feel 'weird'? I find I notice my afternoon dose about 15 minutes after taking it, I feel a little more revved up. I don't feel my a.m. dose because I take it and go back to sleep for 20 minutes

If your body has been w/o the hormones then yes, you'll feel some of the side effects more than someone who's levels weren't as low. You don't tend to feel synthroid because it's a T4 and this can take a week to build up, and up to 6 weeks before you're at an optimal dose (this is why T4 meds are built up slowly, you could go hyper with too much too fast). T3 is much faster acting and you feel it sooner; it also wears off sooner.

Keep track of your HR and BP; they are good measures of how you're adjusting to the meds. I find that after an increase mine with be raised (both of them) for a week or so, then it settles back down.

HTH
Nat