Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 12:38

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%
Thumbs up Induction Chicken Italiano

I've been meaning to share this recipe for a while, and I'm finally getting around to it. I was looking to make some sort of fancy Italian meal and really wanted ricotta in it, but that's a no-no for induction so I just mixed some stuff together and came up with this. It's quite simple to prepare, looks really pretty, and tastes awesome. Even my 17 year old brother who swears he'll never eat diet food begs me to make this "stuffed chicken", as he calls it . Hope you all try it and enjoy it!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Induction Chicken Italiano

Recipe By : Athena123 (Katie)
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 chicken breasts, no skin, no bone, R-T-C
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup frozen spinach -- thawed and drained
1/2 cup lowest carb spaghetti sauce (I use a brand called Victoria the Tomato Basil sauce has only 2g carbs/ half cup. It's a bit pricey though- about $4.50 a jar, but so worth it in taste and carbs.)
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Wash and dry chicken breasts. Slice a pocket in the side of the chicken breast so it sort of resembles a pocketed pita. Set aside.

3. In a bowl, mix the sour cream, grated paremesan cheese, spinach, garlic salt and pepper. Taste the mixture and add spices to your taste. Spoon even amounts of the mixture into the pocket of each chicken breast.

4. In a skillet, heat the olive oil, then add the chicken breasts. Cook uncovered on both sides until nicely golden brown. Put the chicken breasts in a baking dish or pan. Spoon the spaghetti sauce evenly over the chicken, then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the chicken breasts. *Note: I use a cast iron pan to brown my chicken breasts in this way I can just put the sauce and cheese on top and throw the pan in the oven- saves having to use another dish.

5. Cook for about 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted and brown on top.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:41

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%

Looks terrific! I'll have to try it!

Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 16:14

Thumbs up Victoria Pasta Sauces

I found the website for the Victoria Pasta sauce that I use. Their products are of very high quality. They taste like something you'd get out of an Italian Mama's kitchen . The site has store locations that sell the sauces and a link to a site where you can buy them online. As I said before, they're more pricey than other sauces (around $5/jar), but well worth the cost in my opinion. You get more sauce per serving for less carbs than other sauces (1/2 cup tomato basil sauce = 2g net carbs). There are 8 servings per jar. Victoria Pasta Sauces
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 16:18
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Did Mastercook give you the calories too? Looks tasty!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 17:44

Complete Nutritional Info:
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 615 Calories; 35g Fat (52.0% calories from fat); 69g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 213mg Cholesterol; 1022mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

It is high in calories, but if you're looking for a reward meal, this one is very yummy. And, since much of the calories come from fat, it's keeps you filled pretty long.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 17:48
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks for the info Athena! For those watching their calories, they could easily be lowered by using less oil and discarding any leftover oil from the pan frying. I will for sure be trying this recipe! TY!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 16:48

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Sounds good. I don't like Spinach. So, I might try some chopped green peppers as well