Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 04:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default German Roulden (meat rollups)

German Rouladen

Rouladen are meat rollups, along the same idea of cabbage rolls. The German version stuffs them with bacon, onion and a dill pcikle. The Italian version stuffs them with seasoned ground pork or veal. I've also had them stuffed with celery and carrot slices. The meat is a large thin slice of inside round, 8-10 inches long, 3-4 inches wide, and about the thickness of a a slice of processed cheese. The meat is not generally available in grocery stores. You will find them at specialty grocery stores and more readily at butchers who will have them ready cut or will cut them for you. One Roulade costs about $2.00 and weighs on average 6 oz

Recipe for 1, but they are best made in batches of at least 4 so there is enough juice to thicken for gravy. I often make them 10 or more at a time. They freeze well individually with or without gravy in individual small freezer bags. They reheat well in a saucepan, in the oven or in the microwave. They taste great cold. They can be cut into thick slices, skewered with a toothpick, and served as finger food. They can be cooked a day ahead of a big event, then heated through in either the natural juices or in a ready made gravy. They can be stuffed with a variety of things if bacon and pickle are not to your liking, although the bacon and pickle give them the traditional flavor.

Ingredients for 1
approz 6 oz cut of Rouladen meat Cal-325 Prot-49.7 Fat-12.5 Carbs-0
1 slice uncooked bacon Cal-46 Prot-2.5 Fat 3.9 Carbs-.05
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion Cal-4 Prot-.1 Fat-0 Carbs-.7
1 tablespoon dijon mustard Cal-17 Prot-.9 Fat-1 Carbs-.6
1/2 dill pickle Cal-5 Prot-0 Fat-0 Carbs-1
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil optionally if you choose to pan fry them

Total counts for 1
Cal-396 Prot-53.2 Fat-17.4 Carbs(ECC)-2.35 (counts do not include the oil, or any gravy if you choose to make it)
Your counts will vary slightly depending on the brand of mustard and pickle you use

1. Lay each piece of meat flat on the counter on a piece of waxed paper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Spread mustard over the surface
3. Fold the uncooked bacon in half lengthwise and lay at one end
4. Place the pickle on the bacon
5. Place the onion along the length of the pickle
6. Roll up tightly, cigar style
7. Secure loose end with a toothpick if desired. After you make a few you get the hang of handling them and don't need the toothpick.

Cooking option:
The great thing about these is they can be cooked several ways. The juices make a fine gravy, thickened the way you like best.

Traditional
Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a saucepan large enough for the number of Rouladen to be placed in a single layer.
Pan fry each Rouladen until lightly browned, but not cooked through, turning frequently.
Add just enough water to almost cover the Rouladen (about 1 cup)
Simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until tender

Easy way 1
Place all the Rouladen in a roasting pan, large enough for them to be in a single layer, and fitting close together
Pour enough water in to almost cover them
Bake on a low heat 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Turn them occassionally

Easy way 2
Place the Rouladen in a crock pot.
Pour in just enough water to almost cover them.
Cook on hi for about 4 hours, or low for about 6 hours

Any one of these cooking methods produces about the same taste. Rouladen are somewhat forgiving on cooking time. They can be eaten any time after they have slow cooked to the tender stage, and will tolerate some overcooking without loosing taste or texture.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 09:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

They sound wonderful -- perfect for this WOE. Thank you for posting that -- and for being so thorough. It looks fool proof!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 09:51

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Default Oh...

I have had these before at a friends 50th birthday party. They are fabulous!!!!!!!!!! She makes a gravy out of mashed rutabagas a such with it, but just the roll-up is fabulous all by itself. I can't wait to try them. I had her recipe but lost it.

Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 14:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/315/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress:
Default yum!

we used to eat these when I was a kid, when round steak went on sale cheap, and pair it with kartuffleklaussen (sp?--potato dumplings) and warm red cabbage... don't need the potato, but the cabbage would be yummy. I think it was cooked with vinegar and a little sugar, maybe I need to play with that and see if I can make it to go with this! Thanks for reminding me of these.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 19:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I made these today using chuck steak following this guide . Instead of filling with cooked bacon I wrapped each bundle in bacon then tied with string. After searing each bundle I layered them in my cast iron dutch oven, added about 1/2-3/4C water and baked at 350F for 2 hours then lowed the oven temp to 250F to hold another 2-3 hours until supper. The meat bundles produced plenty of liquid on their own- so much so that it about overflowed my dutch oven.

These were delicious and will certainly be served on our dinner table again! Thanks for a great recipe.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 17:12

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

We are German. We make them the traditional Waibstadt Rolladen ---- the meat, smeared with yellow mustard, salt and pepper, the a slice of bacon or two halves of a slice, sliced boiled eggs, thinly sliced dill pickles and the most important part--sauteed diced onions that have fresh chopped parsley sauteed with them. Roll them up, and tie them or use turkey needles-- which is easier, but if you tie them up, you can secure the ends better. Carry on == brown them in a pan with a little flour on them, make a gravy, cook for an hour or so until tender. IN THIS CASE though-- no flour, so I'd bake them and do without the gravy.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 20:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

My German mother in law taught me about these. She (and I) chopped the bacon and the pickle; tastes good, but maybe not quite so intense as if the pickle were whole. So: spread with mustard, scatter bacon, onion, pickle pieces over, salt and pepper to taste, and then roll and tie. And yes, DH loves these with red cabbage and Kartoffelkloesse (potato dumplings) - a little bit of home in this far away land I brought him to.