Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 15:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hopefully the lethicin in the egg yolk would keep it from separating.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 18:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It did start to separate for me, but it wasn't what I expected. It separated like the canned coconut milk with the creamier part on top and thin liquid below. I am going to make some more though because I found myself liking it more then cream, and without the stomach issues.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-13, 18:47

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

LadyBelle, has giving up dairy products affected your weight loss?
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 08:58
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Disclaimer, I haven't given up dairy completely. However, having said that, when I do cut dairy out of my diet, then yes, my weight loss does go a ton better. I also don't get a torn up stomach and bathroom visits from the lactose intolerance issues.

I have cut back, but my main issues are still cheese on my morning eggs, and cream cheese in minute muffins. I need to figure out more ways to make my morning eggs moist and tasty. Yes, there are other breakfasts then eggs, but I really like my eggs in the morning and feel weird if I don't have an egg based dish.

I feel like I should stand up in the room and say "I'm LadyBelle and I'm a dairy addict."
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 09:24

Thanks for reporting back on the dairy question, LadyBelle. Yeah, I love my morning eggs and I love my 20-22 grams of cheese in them.

I've been thinking about giving up dairy for a long time. I am now firmly back on plan and losing at a decent clip, but if/when I stall, which I'm guessing is inevitable this close to goal, dairy foods will be the first to go. And then I too can learn how they affect me.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-13, 16:05
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Ok, what I have found is that the brand of coconut milk used makes a huge difference.

Thai brand coconut milk has the first ingredient as coconut, and the second as water. It tends to separate in the can, and the creamer made from this separates in the fridge, but whitens the coffee better and more smoothly.

The "light" Thai coconut milk is made with water as the first ingredient and coconut milk as the second. There are less carbs, and also less seperation in the can. The less carbs are prob mostly just to the product being watered down. I haven't tried making the primal creamer from this yet, so can't attest to how is turns out.

Chaokoh coconut milk is made from coconut extract. I have found no separation in the can, and no separation in the primal creamer recipe. The whitening is much less in the coffee, and it seems more creamer is needed to achieve the same result as the Thai brand. However, the Chaokoh is cheaper and slightly lower in carbs.

I am interested in trying the coconut cream or milk from Wilderness Family Naturals, as they are my favorite company for coconut products, but they have a huge issue with being out of stock constantly so have been unable to buy any recently. There also is a Trader Joe's coconut cream that could be promising, but since we don't have the store locally, I would have to purchase online.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-13, 16:40

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Good timing, I will be trying this, I've been thinking I will never be able to let go of the half-n-half in my coffee.

When I was heavily using canned coconut cream, the KATI brand I got at an Asian market was my favorite. I could keep the can in the fridge and there would be next to no water separate out, just heavy coconut cream I had to shovel out. It's like getting just the cream part of the Thai kitchen brand, I like that too but there is an awful lot of water that separates from it.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-13, 07:51

I bought the TJ's coconut cream and while there was a fair amount of water at the bottom, I threw both cream (solid as a rock) and water in the cuisinart and blended it. I ended up with something very much like whipped cream. It worked well in my coffee, but when I looked at the net calories, it was way more than my HWC. I am satisfied with 1 tsp. of HWC in each cup of tea and needed closer to 1 T. of the coconut cream to get similar whitening and satisfaction.

I gave up all dairy foods for several days and it was easier than I imagined it would be. I dropped some calories which I did not replace, but I did not drop any weight. After 3 days, I reintroduced dairy products and again had no reaction, no gain. Though to be fair I probably should have continued the experiment for 30 days (who makes these rules?), I concluded that for me, dairy is not really an issue.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-13, 10:21
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Though to be fair I probably should have continued the experiment for 30 days (who makes these rules?), I concluded that for me, dairy is not really an issue.

If you have intolerance symptoms, which you may or may not be aware of, you're not likely to notice them improving in 3 days. I'd say a couple of weeks would be a fair trial. 3 days isn't much of a trial.

For me some of my gluten issues cleared up in a week, other symptoms took a lot longer.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 09:18
Experimenter

BF:

I finally made this today! I had coconut cream on hand and I poured off the water that was on top and used the harder cream. I used 2 eggs, a little bit of sweetener, and the nearly solid coconut cream, and vanilla. Came out great! This is a keeper.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-13, 10:56
Experimenter

BF:

I saw something at 7/11 that inspired me. Salted Caramel coffee. So I made coffee, added this creamer, added a touch of butter and some caramel SF syrup. Oh wow!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-13, 13:13
Experimenter

BF:
Default A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer (Repost)

I can never find that darn thread. I always look for it here. So I'm posting this link to it!

A Primal Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer Original post

I've been making it using:

1 can of coconut cream (Trader Joe's)
2 raw eggs
Flavorings (vanilla, sweetener (sometimes), cocoa once)

It is awesome!

This last time I added 2 heaping Tbl. of cocoa and sweetener and it is like chocolate mousse.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-01-13, 07:17
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I'm still struggling to give up dairy. It's not so much a weight loss issue, as much as when I have HWC in my coffee, about an hour later I'm stuck in the bathroom for a good chunk of time. Would be helpful if constipated from the diet, but not on every work day.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-18-13, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 317/300/175 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 12%

Just dug out the immersion blender & put on a small pot of coffee: yes, it's 845pm, but I finally got the kitchen cleaned up & I need to try this. Picked up SF caramel syrup last nite ~ Target & I'm ready ~~ HWC doesn't bother me, but flavored creamer is the most difficult thing I have to give up.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-18-13, 19:24
Experimenter

BF:

I hope you have coconut cream instead of coconut milk. It's so much better with that. Hope you enjoy it. A touch of salt, or butter really makes it amazing too.