Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 15:28
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Nintendo Wii as exercise?

Im a total video game junkie and i already have ddr, but im wondering if anyone here has used the nintendo wii. ive heard that it can be a good workout depending on what game you play. anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 15:48

Plan: ATKINS-ISH :)
Stats: 225/185/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 47%

i have both DDR and the nintendo wii..it is a good way to get a workout and have fun...almost had to kill someone to get a wii fit (the best exercise game out there fore the wii) lol but it works..the problem is, i got bored after a couple of weeks..there are not many 'cardio' workout sessions..there is a lot of yoga and other stuff like that...its a good way to get a workout if ur motivated tho..ever since ive been on atkins, i realized that i really didnt HAVE to work out to lose weight..and i know i should..but what can i say...im lazy lol but the BEST way to lose a bunch of calories and get a good workout is DDR by far...one song that lasts for two mins = burns about 30 calories!! and thats pretty good in the long run..and i never get bored of DDR lol so overalll..get the wii fit..

ps...a word of caution...
there is a wii game called 'jillian michaels ultimate workout 2009' or something along those lines...DO NOT PURCHASE IT...lol i bought it because i was bored with the wii fit, thinking it would 'spruce up' my workouts...
ummm no...it was the worst game ever, bad graphics (and im not really a game junkie...if thats coming from me..it means its REALLY bad) and not worth it for forty bucks..i regret buying it, and not listening to the reviews
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 16:41

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

My coworker got Wii Fit a few months ago and I wondered if it was any good at all, too. He said he broke a sweat SEVERAL times (and he's ex Army) and was sore for the next few days. His family really loves it, too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 16:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/171.8/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I got the Wii a few months ago and love it. I get the most out of playing tennis and baseball. I really like the hula-hoop and skiing as well.

You will be sore if you do too much too fast though! Lots of fun
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 20:59

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Sooo true. My younger sister has a Wii and she brings it over to my house every once in a while and we all play tennis and boxing and the Wii sports and no joke, the next day, its hard to do my job (lifting, pulling, lifting light weight objects) because my arms and shoulders are SO SORE! LOL But its SOOOO much fun.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-08, 22:03
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinz
i have both DDR and the nintendo wii..it is a good way to get a workout and have fun...almost had to kill someone to get a wii fit (the best exercise game out there fore the wii) lol but it works..the problem is, i got bored after a couple of weeks..there are not many 'cardio' workout sessions..there is a lot of yoga and other stuff like that...its a good way to get a workout if ur motivated tho..ever since ive been on atkins, i realized that i really didnt HAVE to work out to lose weight..and i know i should..but what can i say...im lazy lol but the BEST way to lose a bunch of calories and get a good workout is DDR by far...one song that lasts for two mins = burns about 30 calories!! and thats pretty good in the long run..and i never get bored of DDR lol so overalll..get the wii fit..

ps...a word of caution...
there is a wii game called 'jillian michaels ultimate workout 2009' or something along those lines...DO NOT PURCHASE IT...lol i bought it because i was bored with the wii fit, thinking it would 'spruce up' my workouts...
ummm no...it was the worst game ever, bad graphics (and im not really a game junkie...if thats coming from me..it means its REALLY bad) and not worth it for forty bucks..i regret buying it, and not listening to the reviews

Thanks for the advice, I think my parents are buying this game for me for Christmas (I was dumb enough to ask for it) but I think now I'll just not open it and exchange it for a different game. What did you not like about it besides the graphics, does it not give you a challenging workout?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 01:42

Plan: ATKINS-ISH :)
Stats: 225/185/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia Mae
Thanks for the advice, I think my parents are buying this game for me for Christmas (I was dumb enough to ask for it) but I think now I'll just not open it and exchange it for a different game. What did you not like about it besides the graphics, does it not give you a challenging workout?

hmm..where do i start...?? lolll to begin with, i do have to say there are a variety of exercises, but they are 'hard to do'. when i say 'hard to do' i dont mean that they are physically hard...its that for some odd reason, it doesnt work well with the balance board (if u use it...and u will probably need with this game). For example, there is some type of 'monkey bar' exercise, and what you're supposed to do is hold the wii remote in one hand, and the nunchuck in the other and raise it above ur head and kinda move it back and forth as if ur doing the monkey bars..ok im not sure if thats "understandable" lol because its hard to write how to do the exercises...but ANYWAYS...when i try and do that, the character on the screen doesnt move...maybe im doing the exercises wrong???!!! im not sure, but with almost all of the exercises, it was difficult to be in sync with the character on the screen..and that got me discouraged. It is nearly not as polished as the wii fit..and although there are a plethora of extra different types of exercises in the jillian game, its a hella lot more frusterating when the stupid game isnt 'in sync' with what ur doing physically..the workouts are not as fun as the wii fit, but they are a bit more challenging..it has stuff like 'rowing a canoe' and that can be quite tiring if i do say so myself lol ..*sigh* can u tell how angry i am?? lol its just the fact that i spent 40 bucks on a lousy game oh well...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 09:50
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

We have the Wii Fit with our Wii (balance board too). While I love the balance games and the yoga/strengthening moves, I wouldn't use it for cardio at all. You just don't get the same work out as if you were outside running or walking.

But for the balancing and yoga/strengthening, totally worth it IMO.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 03:24

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

Reviving this thread, somewhat. I have had my Wii since last September. I found the Wii Fit improved my balance tremendously, I hadn't realised how much I stood back on my heels - makes standing around much more comfortable thought it took a while not to feel that I was going to fall head over heels.

I don't do much of the balance and muscle anymore but I still use the aerobics occasionally, I find doing the free step or free jogging whilst I'm watching TV is great and still works up a sweat for me. Much better for my joints than trying to jog outside. Playing Tennis on the Wii Sports always makes me puff, I tend to move around a lot!

I have steered clear of the Jillian Matthews game, having read the negative reviews but I enjoy the My Fitness Coach. I enjoy moving up the levels and going back and finding I can do much more than I used to be able to do - very motivational!

Hope you are enjoying your Wii.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 05:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/164/128 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Wii Active. Get it. It is a cardio monster. You will sweat. You will get a good workout. You won't get bored... Seriously. I HIGHLY recommend it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-09, 05:45

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyRF
Wii Active. Get it. It is a cardio monster. You will sweat. You will get a good workout. You won't get bored... Seriously. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Just watched the videos on Amazon - it does look good and fun but at £35 it will have to go on the wishlist for the moment. Thanks for the tip.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach diet
Stats: 216/165/160 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think Wii Fit is pretty awesome depending on the workout. For example, the "running" or "jogging" doesn't make much sense to me. You can go run outside and get more of a workout than running in place and see your city. Other exercises, however, like the yoga and balancing exercises engage your core, make you challenge yourself and your friends, and make working out a lot more fun than staying on a static machine and never moving or changing up your workout. Wii Fit measures your progress, weighs you, and tries to increase your overall fitness, concentrating on flexibility, endurance, and strength training exercises. I wouldn't personally use only Wii Fit but I think it's a great addition to my workout regimen.

Evan