Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 06:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default The Body for Life Thing

Discovered the Body for Life thing book last week and i think i'm going to give it a go - the transformation pics are rather impressive. I've got weights, bench, bike etc from previous abortive weight loss attempts and so i'm making an appointment with the garage at 4.30am on monday (has to be before the 9 month old Helen monster awakes). Have taken some truly awful "before" pictures - the stuff of nightmares.

I'm planning staying on Atkins (+/- a bit of Protein Power) as 1. I'm losing wieght and 2. I'm feeling great. Taking heaps of Atkins recommended supplements - i've never done this before as i thought conventional wisdom (i an an MD) meant such things were rubbish - however i may be changing my mind....

Does anyone have any experience of BfL or advice? I'd be very grateful.

Cynically I'm sure it's a well marketed concept and the pics are enticing. However if it can get me to exercise 6 days a week for 12 weeks it'll have achieved a first.

Cheers

Jon
(If you ask nicely i might post the pics)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 06:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up WTG Jon

Congrats on the decision. Exercise has so many benefits. Will you pretty please post the pictures at some time?

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 08:34
Registered Member

BF:
Exclamation Pictures

Well you asked. I'm going to stick them on the fridge door also and in the "gym" (garage). Hope to get some better quality ones (or a better scanner) as these didn't scan so well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c1w1d1.cptsmaller.jpg (9.3 KB, 263 views)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile That took courage!

I admire your courage and openess. I am looking forward to drooling over the next batch in 12 weeks time!

Exercise is good. Start slowly and build on it. When I started I thought I could manage 10 minutes a day but I soon discovered I could only manage about 3 minutes when I started. Now a few months on I have built it up ... very very gradually ... to a two hour dance session. The progress feels wonderful.

If you push too hard to begin with you will be very tempted to give up quickly.

Take care.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 15:08

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Good for you Jon for taking your before pictures! I also see that you have taken your body fat, but have you taken your measurements? I trust the tape measure so much more than I trust the scale!

I don't know much about Body for Life but I think Dan does and I'm sure he'll be checking in later. Best of luck to you! I think exercise is so important for the body!!

Can't wait to see some after pics!

Linda
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 07:47

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default Give it a go!

Although it is very well marketed, and Mr. Phillips DID pay to have the #1 spot on Amazon.com when he first released the book, I have to give him respect for what he has done as a bdodybuilder ... but moreso as a businessman. The man set his course of what he wanted to achieve in life, and he achieved every bit of it. For that he deserves respect from anyone who has ever read his magazine or books. And he gives freely to charities. Truly an asset to the fitness community (even if some of his marketing was a bit full of "hype" ... but that's the name of the game)

Anyway, as far as the workouts in BFL go, they are good. INTENSE! The weight training is based on sound principles that bodybuilder's employ when they are preparing for a contest ... and the cardio program is VERY intense and in based on Interval Training ... which has been shown to be THE most effective way to lose bodyfat.

A word of caution: Ease yourself into this program. Make it 14 weeks, and use the first 2 as a sort of induction/oritentation. There will be muscle soreness ... your body will adapt, which usually takes 2 weeks.

You'll still be sore after each workout, but it will be a "good" sore (does that make sense?) as opposed to the "bad" sore that you get during the first week or two of any new training protocall.

good luck with it, and as Fern said ... take those measurements!

Keep us posted on your results ... and if you need any help in the exercise portion of your program always feel free to post here and Fern or I (and the others here, right Nat? ) will do our best to help you.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 08:21

BF:
Default Re: Give it a go!

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
and if you need any help in the exercise portion of your program always feel free to post here and Fern or I (and the others here, right Nat? ) will do our best to help you.

You bet we will.

Good luck Jon. I'm anxious to hear how its going... Think I'll go do a little searching myself.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 08:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks a lot

Thanks people. I'm really impressed by how supportive people are on this site.

As to posting the pics - not so courageous - honestly have done far worse.(part of the reason for the 100 or so excess pounds was a nasty drug/alcohol habit plus bad depression - so this not so bad!!)

Actually am going to do 13 weeks - as this will take me to Christmas Eve...may have a day or two off...

Would be interested in any dietary advice. I'm going to stick to Atkins as it seems to be working+++ but am a little confused after reading/browsing around. eg 6 meals?, post workout carb+protein?, late evening high protein meal??? I'm going to be exercising early am (before baby wakes up) on an empty stomach as this seems to be the advice to shed fat. Can easily increase protein intake with either a soya protein shake (vile) or a whey one (moderately vile) with minimal carb. I'm probably getting 10-15g carb at the moment and as i will have been on Atkins nearly 5 weeks, plan to increase to 20-30.

And supplements? Six years of med school taught me nothing!! I'm on some vits+minerals, EFAs, chromium, Ca/Mg/Zn. Sounds like glutamine and creatine thought fairly essential. Any advice.

My other problem is that I am so inflexible. I don't think I've stretched for years and honestly have trouble bending to pick Helen up of the floor.

Anyhow (this is going to sound really sad) since the baby is at day nursery today I've lain on the bed and read all afternoon. Have to lie when wife comes home and suggest i've been doing the housework.

Cheers

Jon
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 09:23

BF:
Default Re: Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally posted by jonrees
am a little confused after reading/browsing around. eg 6 meals?, post workout carb+protein?, late evening high protein meal??? I'm going to be exercising early am (before baby wakes up) on an empty stomach as this seems to be the advice to shed fat. Can easily increase protein intake with either a soya protein shake (vile) or a whey one (moderately vile) with minimal carb. I'm probably getting 10-15g carb at the moment and as i will have been on Atkins nearly 5 weeks, plan to increase to 20-30.
My other problem is that I am so inflexible. I don't think I've stretched for years and honestly have trouble bending to pick Helen up of the floor.

Jon, from what I've gathered about working out in general:
  • - a.m. before eating is best, you're right.
    - a post workout meal of protein is a very good idea (http://forlife.4mg.com/nutrition/Imp_Protein.htm) .
    - Eating 6 meals instead of 3 a day is beneficial to everyone... eating boosts your metabolism and helps prevent drastic changes in blood sugar.

Don't worry about being inflexible. That will change, just like everything else.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 04:26
Registered Member

BF:
Default Day one - ok

The alarm went off at 5.30 and i went and did an upper body workout. Bit clunky and awkward at first and i had a bit of fun working out which weight to use but it was basically ok.

Feel v pleased with myself and yes a bit sore (not too bad yet).

Quote:
You'll still be sore after each workout, but it will be a "good" sore (does that make sense?)

Tomorrow morning is 20 minutes of high impact cardio....

Only problem was the "foldable" bench decided to fold up at one point and throw itself (plus loaded barbell) at me. I have a nice graze and big bruise. Time to tighten some nuts and bolt it to the floor i think.

Jon
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 15:06

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Glad to hear that your first day went well..... sorry about the bench falling on you but I'm glad you weren't hurt to bad!!

Keep up the good work!
Linda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default So far so good

Got up again and did the 20 mins aerobic HIIT - and actually
enjoyed it. I've always thought aerobics wass really boring but varying the speed up and down mad it quite fun. it didn't seem long and minute 19 (intensity10) was fairly awesome. Bit knackered after though.

Abs not so good - i don't think i have any abdominal muscles - have to grow some.

Bye

Jon
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 07:43

BF:

Surprizing yourself with what you can accomplish is a wonderful feeling. Keep up the good work, Jon. And don't fret about the abs, you'll get them

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: Own LC Plan
Stats: 345/260/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 41%

What is this BFL thing I've heard so much about? What does the program consist of? Can I do it and still do Atkins? Sorry for all the questions but inquiring minds want to know
Attached Images
File Type: gif angel5.gif (22.8 KB, 216 views)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 03:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default Body for Life.

Body for Life is a "life-changing" program that was developed by an American bodybuilder named Bill Phillips. It poses a 12 week challenge which you can enter via his supplement company EAS. The most recent round started monday 24th (and i entered). It's basically an exercise and diet program (surprise!) but there's a fair bit of amateur psychology in the book about getting motivated and goal setting etc.

His workouts are HIIT (High impact interval training) and you alternate cardio days (only 20 mins but intense) with either upper or lower body weights plus abs. I done one of each workout and they're pretty good - i am a bit stiff and sore. For each body part you do repeated exercises until the intensity of exercise reaches "10". They're also fairly tighty timed and pretty hard work. The cardio again builds up to a "10" in the 19th minute and i have to say (amazing for a fat slob) that it was FUN! and i enjoyed it (better than long slow aerobics). You're advised to exercise early a.m. on an empty stomach so i'm getting up at 5.30am. You get 1 day off a week.

The diet however i'm not really doing in full. It's really a high protein, mod carbs, lowish fat diet with adoption of "fist-sized portions" and general healthy eating. They advise 6 meals a day and a radical increase in protein by using one of their own (of course) proetin powder drinks. Atkins is working for me so i'm stickig with it for now, but i have increased to 30g carbs and am having a protein drink post workout. Also lots of info on supplements (a lot of which i'm already taking like vits, calcium and EFAs) and things like glutamine and creatine.

Anyhow the book is the best source but here are some links:

www.bodyforlife.com (the original)
www.leanandstrong.com (about the best board)
www.bodychangers.com (success stories).

There's a lot about it on the net if you look.

Hope this helps

Jon