Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#556   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-17, 11:39

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

I've been looking for this thread, which I loved soooo much, started by lovinita -- who is no longer here. It makes great reading, and maybe we have some things to add. I know I already posted things years ago, like buying off the rack, towels that fit around me, people who pick me up when they hug me....etc!!!
Sponsored Links
  #557   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 05:05

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I've been thinking about the less obvious things lately, as I notice them, and one is I found myself walking downstairs carrying something and not having to shift it so I could cling to the railing with one hand. My balance is better, as my legs are more able to carry my weight. So now, as an additional balancing exercise, I make it a point to not hang on to the railing going up and down stairs.

I also notice that I am comfortably crossing my legs all the time now when I sit, which means fidgeting and swinging my foot more. There was a study done about the obese versus lean and figeting some years back.
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/28/h...study-says.html

Overweight people have a tendency to sit, while lean ones have trouble holding still and spend two hours more a day on their feet, pacing around and fidgeting...

The difference translates into about 350 calories a day...

It is the predisposition to be inactive that leads to obesity, and not the other way around, they suggest.

I think Gary Taubes had something to say about that in one of his books, but I don't remember exactly which way it went.

Anyway, I noticed a big difference from being over 200 lbs to being under in just feeling like moving more. Any movement. It's a good thing.
  #558   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 05:40

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx

I think Gary Taubes had something to say about that in one of his books, but I don't remember exactly which way it went.

Anyway, I noticed a big difference from being over 200 lbs to being under in just feeling like moving more. Any movement. It's a good thing.

Gary Taubes said that when you consume more glucose than your body can utilize it gets converted into fat and stored thus leaving you without sufficient energy and hungry in an effort to ingest more energy. When you are a fat burner, eating minimal carbs, you have plenty of energy to burn from those fats. Obese individuals are sedentary because they lack the energy. People who are fat burners, eating minimal carbs, have plenty of energy to utilize. This is what leads to the difference in activity levels between the obese and the thin, according to Taubes. I only started exercising daily after I had lost 100 pounds. Taubes explanation makes sense to me and seems to fit my own experience.

Jean
  #559   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 06:00
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Jean, that's been my experience as well... I'm rarely ever sitting still.
  #560   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 07:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I miss lovinita.
  #561   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 11:06

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
People who are fat burners, eating minimal carbs, have plenty of energy to utilize.... I only started exercising daily after I had lost 100 pounds.

Why? When presumably you were burning fat to lose those pounds.

I thought I remembered him saying that people aren't fat because they don't exercise, but instead don't exercise because they are fat. Which is the opposite from what these researchers in the fidgeting study concluded.

I've had a walking habit for decades no matter what my weight, and I am still fat now by any measure, but I seem to have crossed some sort of threshold where now I have a different sort of impulse to move, that I didn't have even 10 lbs ago. Going up stairs two at a time, for instance, which I found I canNOT actually do! But until recently, it never occurred to me.

In my lifetime, researchers have gone from thinking fat itself is inert to being a sort of endocrine system. Perhaps there's some kind of signaling going on, some connection of fat to exercise that we don't yet understand.
  #562   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 12:03

BF:

When I had the energy to start a walking program, I started walking. I suspect it is because I had a lot of health issues to resolve, especially a severe gastrointestinal problem that kept me pretty much chained to the house a lot of the time. When I figured out how to resolve that good things started happening including my ability to take long walks. For me it's never been just about being fat or even primarily about being fat. It's been about being unhealthy in all sorts of ways.

Jean
  #563   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 10:52
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

I've thought about this thread several times since I first saw it, and have been writing this post in my head since then. It's going to be a long one, so settle in, skim it, or skip it, as you prefer.

What do I love about this so far? Everything. Even the challenges that come with the gains are what I think of as good problems; I'll explain as I go along.

But here's why I want to post this. I would like to offer encouragement to the most courageous people I know--you. I am angry for some of you; I had an easier path of this than many of you, and my struggle was very difficult. I know there are people who have been around this forum for as long as I have, and longer, who have the most stubborn metabolisms ever, who have been disrespected by medical caregivers and the general public, and yet you soldier on. I write this for you as well, in hope that you will keep kicking over rocks and one day find the answers. My sincere wish is that every person who reads this will be on this thread someday themselves writing their own version of how great it feels to have lost the excess weight.

You know how it feels to wake up in the morning, and have that nanosecond of a day of possibilities ahead of you, and then you move and remember? Oh, yeah, still fat. And you have the whole day ahead and suddenly it's not full of promise, it's an ordeal instead of a gift? Rolling over in bed takes planning and conscious decisions and resolve, and then execution.

Well, now it feels like a gift. I wake up instead and in that nanosecond of `here I am again' remember that I am still not-fat, and the day lights up with promise. Because no matter what, it's not a day in which I will have to struggle to move my body through the sea of air, to fight gravity. Even rolling over in bed is just something I think of and do, like a fish flipping on the riverbank, a singularity of decisionexcecution, and there is joy in that simple thing because it feels good to move the muscles.

If I had to pick one single favorite thing--but I won't--it would probably be just to move. My breathing was labored before, and now it comes with ease and I use it to sing and play the flute. I feel the working of my diaphragm as it flexes like the muscle it is. My legs are strong and slim (by my standards) and feel as resilient and flexible as willow trees. Sometimes I lean backwards from the hips to stretch out my spine, and just hang there because it feels good. A week or two ago I was on my back, curled upwards until my legs were pointed at the ceiling, and then brought them over until my toes touched the floor above my head, and my knees almost went down next to my ears--the plough position, for the yoga-knowledgeable. Just because it felt good to do that.

Clothes are really fun as well, and I have far more than one person needs, but there are worse things than that. What's worse? Standing in the fitting room staring in the mirror at something that looks like crap and knowing you're going to buy it anyway, because it's the biggest thing in the store, and it fits. That's worse. Cycling between 3-4 dresses that are the biggest ones you own, and it's all you've got that's clean and in passable repair. So the only choice is, hmmm? green or blue? The downside? First day I had The Boxes (we all know what they are) unpacked and my closet full of options. Too many options. I walked into my walk-in with a cup of tea and looked around and walked back out, frozen by too much choice. Now I spend time each weekend picking out and trying on outfits so that I'm not late for work. But it works for me, so I'm happy. Favorite garments? Long pleated plaid woolen skirts. Lovely and warm. How many do I have? Don't ask. A lot. I like them. End of *that* story.
How does it feel to know that all the clothes hanging up fit me? That the things that fit last week still fit? It's great. That I can select clothing based on what's appropriate for the day and activity and weather and my mood and inclination? It rocks! I dress up every day, and I love it.

I feel like a role model. As a teacher, I feel like that is part of my responsibility, to present myself as one who represents possibility to my students. And I have students asking me about that, and parents. They want to know how I lost the weight, and I tell them. That feels wonderful, to know that I can inspire and guide others to make this change. The clothing helps me feel good about how I look, and it's easier to present myself in a positive way.

I feel really good about changes I've made in my health. I feel like I have the opportunity to be around a lot longer, and to have more fun doing it. My son told me last year that he had a dream that he and I were rock climbing together. I spoke to him a few days ago and suggested that we try some cliff-climbing in Ireland someday, and he said he would love that.

That's probably the best of the best thing about losing weight. My children are so happy for me, generously so. Not even a whiff of `why didn't you do this when we were little kids?' Just, "You're so tiny!" "You look fantastic!" "You're there." Making my kids proud of me? Priceless.

Probably the most challenging thing for me is my skin. Thank goodness for the clothing, because it covers a multitude. I have stretchy shar-pei skin and stretch marks and skin tears. But even that is what I think of as a good problem. I see progress and toning and I treat it gently. I oil it and spread vitamin oil on the skin, and I really believe it's improving. I'm not a fan of the idea of surgery for myself--it seems unfair. All of my body has been through this together, so to cut some of it off, especially the parts that endured the most and leave it discarded in the trash while the rest of us prances on? Just not me. All for one, one for all. I really believe that their is hope and healing for my skin, and that's one of the challenges remaining. Meanwhile, clothes!

And just to clarify--that answer is not everyone else's answer, and I don't pretend that it is. For those who need or want surgery, I wish them the best of all possible outcomes. I'm just trying to say that for those who hesitate to lose because they are afraid of tiger stripes, come on in, the water's fine. Don't let that fear stop you.

What's great about the weight loss? Everything. It's worth all that it takes. For me it was a journey that took almost all of my adult life. I'm thrilled that whatever time I have left I get to spend not being fat. Everyday I get to wake up, and remember, and smile . . .
  #564   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 16:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Nice write up Kathleen, Thanks!
  #565   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 17:33

BF:

For me weight loss is part of an overall effort to optimize my health. Certainly there are aspects of just having less weight on my body that make life easier, like being able to bend down to tie my shoes or not getting out of breath while walking up hills, but mostly it is just part of an overall plan to stay as healthy and fit as possible. I work hard to not see weight loss as a moral issue. Being thinner does not make me a better person than I was when I was fat but not being fat and being as healthy as possible allows me to focus more on leading a life where I can be of benefit to others and less on struggling through all the difficulties posed by ill health. I am grateful to have found a way to eat that allows me to make the most of my life.

Jean
  #566   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 18:33
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Kathleen, your story made me cry. The journey is so hard. So long. I'm so proud of you and your skin.
  #567   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 14:10

Plan: Stay under 100grams/day
Stats: 360/275/170 Female 64 (inches)
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Still early, but already feeling changes

I've lost 35 pounds of the 190 that I need to lose, but I already feel changes, and to me, they are huge.

At my heaviest, 360, I would go to bed at night wheezing and sleeping on 3 big pillows, almost sleeping sitting up, to not feel like I was suffocating. I'd blame it on 'something flaring my asthma', but I knew it was my weight. My legs had become so big and so heavy and filled with fluid that I couldn't bend them. To get into bed at night, I'd have to swing them up into the bed. Same for getting into the car. At restaurants, at the end of a meal, I'd have to ask my family to not get up and just head for the door. I told them to wait until I "got my legs working". Because the pain from standing on them after sitting for awhile was just horrible, and I had to brace myself for that. If we went to the movie theater, where they have those new recliner seats, the buttons to work the recliner were always on the inner arm of the seat, and my hips would hit it, and everyone would look over as my seat went up and down all through the movie unintentionally because my hip kept hitting the buttons, and the slightest move would cause trouble.

I was scared because I wore the largest size of clothing I could find in my local stores, and the selection was limited at best, and those clothes were becoming too tight. I avoided seeing the doctor for normal sick visits because I knew I'd have to get on the scale, and my doctor would see how much my weight had increased since my last blood pressure/blood glucose recheck visit. I felt judged in public, whether I actually was or not. I believed any snicker from behind me while waiting in line was meant for me, whether it actually was or not.

Now? I sleep on 2 pillows, with no wheezing at all. I bend my knee and climb up into my bed (I'm a tad on the short side, and my bed is tall). I do have some fluid still in my legs, but it's mainly near my ankles and lower shins. I'll talk to my doctor during my next visit to see what she suggests to help with that.

I still fight a battle with the recliner buttons at the movie theater, even having lost 35 pounds, but I can get up from that recliner or a restaurant table without having to 'get my legs working' first. Sure, it's still achy, but at least I can move and put on a brave face and walk.

My clothes are the same size, but they do fit looser. They're not stretched tight anymore. I'm not afraid to see the doctor if I happen to come down with a cold or have a health concern that I'd like to talk to her about.

I can now do some exercising, which is helpful as well. So much has changed. I feel like I'm being given back my life and mobility, and for that, I'm so happy and thankful. I can't wait to see what lays ahead.
  #568   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 20:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Good for you Sissy, looking forward to getting to know you better.
  #569   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 13:08

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I love that it doesn't feel hopeless any more. I love that my physical self-image is more acceptable to me now. I love that my fat isn't always the first way I think of myself.

Meg
  #570   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 04:32

Plan: Stay under 100grams/day
Stats: 360/275/170 Female 64 (inches)
BF:
Progress: 45%

Those are all great things, Meg.