Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 10:55
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins, then BFL, now Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 144/111/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Delurking/Hi/Frustration

First of all I wanted to say Hi and come out of lurkdom! I have SP1 and it really makes sense to me. I did Atkins for a few months last summer, tried SP for about a week when I started doing BFL. I then changed to BFL nutrition and have since completed 3 BFL challenges. I did lose weight but nothing has changed since December. Although my weight is low, I am only 5'2" and my body fat is between 25-26%. That is still higher than I would like but nothing has changed in 6 months. Seemed to me I needed to change things up. I've been doing SP for a week now after a week long attempt at Atkins induction. I felt really lousy even after a week and found it very difficult to do my workouts with Atkins. On BFL I was eating around 150 carbs/day. On SP I'm eating around 90-100 carbs/day. I feel comfortable with this level. But I gained 1-2 lbs. this week. I am freaking out. After all this time of no change in weight or body fat and trying to do something healthier and less carbs, I gained! I was up to eating 2-3 protein bars a day and got rid of those! 50-75 carbs right there. LOL! I know this is not a calorie counting program but out of curiosity I kept track. Since I'm eating more fat I don't feel the need to eat as often or as much. Thus my calories are down. My carbs are lower, and I began doing more cardio this past week. How in the world did I gain? It looks like the fat on my stomach is a little thicker. I am baffled. Even a pound or two shows when you are this short. Any ideas what is happening? How far might this go? I won't be able to wear my clothes comfortably if I gain very much.

Thanks for reading.

Denise

Last edited by Hammj : Wed, Jun-04-03 at 10:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 14:21
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default If You went directly from Atkins to SP

Hi Hammj

I'm not sure if I understand, but if you were doing Atkins Induction last week and just changed to SP in the last week (or few days) then it is very likely that you will have gained a few pounds. But not to panic - the first few pounds that are lost on Atkins Induction are water - so what you have gained is only the water that was lost on Atkins. It really is quite impossible to lose a pound or more a day on any diet unless you are marathon running or heavily working out and eating very little. (even then you reach a point of not losing)

Your fluid levels are probably adjusted now so the weight gain should stop and hopefully a loss will follow. This is the sad thing about atkins induction - so many people lose 5 or 6 pounds of water weight in the first week that they are convinced this rate of loss will continue - and when they fall off the program and do eat carbs and see an immediate gain(water weight) they are then convinced that they can never again eat carbs without gaining weight -

The right kind of carbs will not make you gain weight and should not cause fluid retention.

Hope that helped a bit

Edit - I am only half an inch taller than you so I know exactly what you mean about every ounce showing!!!!!

Last edited by KoKo : Wed, Jun-04-03 at 14:23.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 17:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the response. It's so good to have someone to talk to about this. Goodness knows my husband is tired about hearing me, even though he really is very supportive.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I just finished a full week of SP. The week before that I did a full week of Atkins induction. I'm much more active than I was when I did Atkins last summer. I did lose quite a bit of water during my Atkins week. What I am concerned about is that I am a pound over what I weighed when I started the induction 2 weeks ago. I hope it is only my water working itself out as you suggested. I am definitely hoping I won't be one who gains weight at first while healing their metabolism on SP. But that really doesn't make sense since I have been doing moderate carb BFL for several months now. Who knows! LOL!

I'm glad you understand the petite thing. Many people would really wonder why I would be so concerned about a pound or two. Thanks again!

And any other suggestions as to what's going on are very welcome.

Denise
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 22:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Hammj, not sure what is happening, but I think it's interesting that's the same order I did too. I did Atkins on and off for a while, I was tired and cranky and really wanted a hamburger with the bun! Then I did BFL one full challenge as is, only lost 8 pounds in the 12 week challenge and work my buns off! I have continued doing all of the BFL exercises faithfully since November and have changed the way of eating to Schwarzbein. I fell better than I have felt in my adult life now.

Wish I could help you with what's happening, could be you are in the healing phase described in book II. Keep going, keep eating healthy. I'm 5' 5 1/2" which is still pretty short, but I've got a ways still to go.

Good Luck, Pianobeiner
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Piano! That is kind of funny that we've followed pretty much the same path with this. I lost about 10 pounds the first go round with BFL and then nothing since then (DEC.) even though I have done 2 more challenges. One of the trainers at the gym said that it was quite common for BFL people to plateau for long periods of time. He thought it would be good to up cardio and start a more traditional weight lifiting routine. So that is what my DH and I are doing now. I'm going to focus more on fat burning through the summer while continuing to lift and try during the winter to increase lean body mass focusing less on fat burning.

What a rollercoaster this can be when you pay a lot of attention to the scale. I keep threatening to get rid of it but haven't done so. I just can't quite bring myself to do it! Today I'm down to 117.5 from the 119 I was moaning about yesterday. So now I'm down .5 from where I started 2 weeks ago. I am so hoping this will be the trend from now on. I'm staying off the scale now until Monday when you all do your weigh in. Cross your fingers for me! I'll be hoping good things for you all as well!

Denise
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:21

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Hi Denise,
I'm a shorty, too - 5'2". I multiply every pound I need to lose times 3 (like dog years - I call it 'petite poundage') so that those height-endowed can comprehend what it looks like!

Anyway, you may want to check out SPII. I just bought it yesterday and it has a lot more specific info than SPI. For instance, if your adrenal glands aren't in great shape from low fat diets, etc., you made need to do something different to heal them - SPII address this. I just say that because upping cardio may not be what you need. Just a thought.

Jinx-o
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:12
Registered Member

BF:

Hi MsJinx! Believe me if I thought I could get out of more cardio I would! LOL! I just checked a site with symptoms of adrenal fatigue after I read your post and I don't have the symptoms. It was a good thing to have me look into though. I'm really trying not to buy anymore books! LOL!

Wow! Do you think each of our pounds is really equal to 3 pounds on taller person? It would seem about that to me now that you mention it. NOT FAIR!!!

Denise
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:36
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know about you guys, but I HATE tall people! Those tall people even wrote a song about us "short people". We do so have a reason to live! (said in a whiny voice)

OK, I don't hate them, I'm just very, very, very, envious of them. I always listen to my sister whine about being too tall. Drives me nuts!

Wanda