Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1996   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 21:17

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

[QUOTE=Bernie2014]
Quote:
Hello Warriors,

Jams, that ZC zen is working for you where you are so nice and full from on plan food that you have no interest in carbage 😀👍
Hurrah you are finished with school do you have any fun trips coming up!
Hi Berns! Thanks! Yesterday was EASY! (wish every day was like that!) We leave for the Alaska wedding on July 7... so, two weeks? Wow! That is actually coming up fast! DD got her dress in the mail; it's pale blue with a ruffled-V down the front. Tank style... Pretty, but pricey! I will be wearing a dress from the back of my closet! (From my brother's wedding actually, about 14 yrs ago! Feels good to fit into those old clothes.
Sponsored Links
  #1997   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 21:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriSinge
... I will have to talk to dh. He likes to have a late lunch and then eat dinner around 8 p.m. That is just too late for me, I can never lose weight when I eat so late in the day. Maybe we can have lunch together instead of dinner. During the school year I rarely eat dinner with him, but I think he is looking forward to that for the summer months.

Hi Lauri! I hear you on the not eating late! I do not like the feeling... been pretty successful since my restart in April. Haven't eaten after dinner excpet maybe once or twice, and always meat.

I hear you on the "not eating together".. feels anti-social...DH always jokes that we "never eat together any more"... but, for now, I just need to eat when I need to eat. I will sit at the table with DH and DD while they eat... but I typiclally eat before them. Sometimes it's defensive eating, sometimes I'm just really hungry, and always, I like to eat as early as I can.

Did you ever watch Seinfeld? There's an episode where Jerry goes to Florida to visit his parents and they get ready to go to dinner in the late afternoon...

Mom: "Jerry, let's go. It's time for dinner!"
Jerry: "What? What time is it?"
Dad: "4:00. If we hurry, we can catch the Early Bird. But we gotta' get there before 4:30"
Jerry: "I'm not force-feeding myself a steak at 4:30 in the afternoon to save a couple of bucks!"
Mom: "Fine. We'll wait. But it's unheard of!"

To this day, whenever I fire up the BBQ in the late afternoon/early evening, to put on a steak for myself (and anyone else who wants!) my DH ALWAYS says:

I'm not force-feeding myself a steak at 4:30 in the afternoon!
  #1998   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 21:32

BF:

[QUOTE=jmh6251]
Quote:
Today is grocery shopping day, I usually hit about 2 grocery stores to get the sales.
I love grocery shopping. Went tonight!
Quote:
Good job Jamackarch after all that stress you didn't cave in.
Thanks Jmh! Yesterday was easy. Don't know exactly why so easy, but I'll take it!
Quote:
I will have an on plan day today, and will accept nothing less. I want to lose the weight, but beyond that I need to do this for health reasons. I need to take care of me or nobody will.
SO EXACTLY RIGHT!!!
  #1999   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 265/165/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

So many good things happening! I wish I had time to respond on my computer instead of just on my phone. Jo, for Me the 4 hour eating window means I might have a late lunch at 1 or 2, and then have dinner at 5. Or I might have my dinner at 4 or 5, and then have a light dessert an hour or two later. It's definitely not an open window of time to eat for 4 hours! LOL my biggest problem is snacking so it's important to me to limit the time that I can eat.

I had my annual exam yesterday, & I saw the physician's assistant instead of a doctor. We talked about low carb, and she does it too! That was great.

I was reading online about the national weight control registry. They are a group that is tracking people who have lost weight and kept it off for more than a year. In general most of the people are doing low-calorie and low-fat, eat breakfast, and exercise an hour a day usually by walking. I definitely don't fit the stereotype! But I was glad to hear it that people who have kept the weight off for 2 to 5 years find it much easier as time does on, and if you keep it off for that long you are more likely to keep it off forever. That is my goal. I just have to keep working this one day at a time. They also said that the people who are most successful do not deviate from their plan for holidays and vacations or special occasions. That is definitely my mindset. I have not been completely successful with that at Christmas time, that is my weak time. But I'm trying to work on my mindset for this Christmas already!
  #2000   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 11:18
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
The sun is out this morning, and it looks like it is going to be a beautiful day.
Hope you got a chance to enjoy your beautiful day, yesterday, Judy!

Our sun is shining too but I wish it wasn't so ding dang HOT! Low 100s predicted for today again so I got all my outdoor chores and grocery shopping completed early!
Quote:
I agree with you Jo, I too must never lose control. Usually I'm not that hungry but cravings have been known to raise it's ugly head.
That's the hardest part of this! Like Jams said:
Quote:
It’s easy when it’s easy!
True test of character is when it’s hard!

By Jamackarch shared 17 May 2016
That's why it's always important to have a boat load of strategies to fight off the cravings!

My experience has shown me that the longer I do this the less often "cravings rear it's ugly head" but they do occur and I guess they always will!

IMHO, being a Carb addict is one of the hardest addictions b/c we have to EAT; we just have to make sure that every time we do, that it's 100% OP.
Quote:
I will have an on plan day today, and will accept nothing less. I want to lose the weight, but beyond that I need to do this for health reasons. I need to take care of me or nobody will.
Awesome! That's the way to be successful and see results! It doesn't get any better than that!
  #2001   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 11:21
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Hello Warriors,
Hiya, Berni!
Quote:
Hello Jo, luv the positive posts and words of wisdom.
Thanks, girlie! But that's what we're here for to help support, share our experiences and encourage each other along our journey to better HEALTH and skinny-dom!
Quote:
Have a spectacular day warriors!
My Wednesday was lovely, hope yours was the same!
  #2002   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 11:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Hi Warriors...
Hiya, De!

Quote:
I made it half a day without caffeine and AS. Then I caved at 1220. Tried just water all morning ... Felt very torturous...plain water isn't my thing I guess.
Why are you going w/o caffeine?

I gave up caffeine years ago for Lent. Had a monster headache for like 4-5 days. Was caffeine-free for like seven years and finally started drinking it again, have no clue why I restarted? Bahahahahaha!
Quote:
We had a fun pool party this morning in the kiddie pool cooled us off, fun time for all. Snack break for the kiddos and another swim with a waterfall (hose). Can't beat that for toddler entertainment
Little ones are so easily entertained at times. Heck I would have been entertained too!
Quote:
I remembered to bring my food today leftover grilled chicken and steak
And you call THAT diet food??? You go girl!
  #2003   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 11:27
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Awesome musings Jo

Thanks girlie! Appreciate that mucho!
  #2004   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 11:43
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
This summer DD says she wants to hang out with me! I feel SO lucky about that. She is really, really a lovely person to be around. We have fun together! We will be attending a family wedding in Alaska. We'll also spend some time in eastern WA, the zoo, the park, the mountains...
That is so awesome that your DD wants to hang out with you for the summer! How old is your DD?

Sounds like you've got some really great summer plans to share together! What wonderful memories you will create for summer 2016!
Quote:
You have NO idea. Don't even want to tel you guys all the things that have happened the past few yra... I am just glad be DONE with that person-forever!!! Well, I teach in 3 different classrooms. I have three teaching partners (A new one is coming to replace M). SO, since M didn;t show, instead of my usual "float between 3 rooms and help EVERYONE, like usual... I had to do M's room, and C and D did their own.
Oh okay! Yeah I remember you told me that you basically co-teach with 3 other people in their classrooms.

How come you don't get M's job? Wouldn't your life be easier being in just one classroom? Sorry if Imma asking too many questions...
Quote:
yes, it was intense, but teh VERY BEST part of yesterday was that the "not eating crap" and "not eating too much" was EASY!!! It required virtually NO effort.

I just wasn;t that hungry and I literally didn't look at the sweets! It was easy. GOSH, I wish every day could be like that! Maybe that will become the norm. Sure would be great!
Woot! For not eating the carb-age crap and not eating too much!

When faced with "eating the carb-age crap" I always remind myself how far I've come...granted, I wouldn't re-gain everything I've lost over night. But to me, it's so NOT worth it. I remember this quote from a good while back that resonates with me at times of temptations/cravings:

“Nothing Tastes as Good as Being at my Personal Weight Goal Feels!”

We can switch it up to read:

“Nothing Tastes as Good as Getting to my Personal Weight Goal will Feel!”

And here's another one that keeps me 100% OP:

“At the end of the day, I will NOT regret what I DID NOT eat since I refuse to serve myself up a plate of GUILT!”

As you can probably surmise, I LOVE inspirational quotes and I save all of them!
Quote:
Thanks JO!!!
Always my pleasure, Jams!
  #2005   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 12:00
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
So many good things happening! I wish I had time to respond on my computer instead of just on my phone.
Wow you type all of this on your phone?? You go girl!
Quote:
Jo, for Me the 4 hour eating window means I might have a late lunch at 1 or 2, and then have dinner at 5. Or I might have my dinner at 4 or 5, and then have a light dessert an hour or two later. It's definitely not an open window of time to eat for 4 hours! LOL my biggest problem is snacking so it's important to me to limit the time that I can eat.
at not an open window to eat 4 hours straight!

I'm so glad you are finding a way to help you resolve your snacking!

That's what I LOVE about our incredible LC WOE. We can customize it to work for us. Dr. A really did encourage that in Diet Revolution 1972:
Quote:
Page 8:
One thing I have learned is that there's no fixed formula that works for everybody.
Proof that when we say we're doing what works for us as individuals, we are hitting the nail squarely on the head. That's the only way we can be successful if and only if we continue to do what works for us!
Quote:
Page 8:
What I hope this book will do is steer you into an eating pattern that is best suited to you: your particular metabolism, tastes, habits, customs, likes, and dislikes.
No matter what the naysayers spout, if our chosen eating pattern is 1 or more meals a day, we are indeed following what Dr. A had envisioned for us b/c it's what is BEST suited for us as individuals!
Quote:
I had my annual exam yesterday, & I saw the physician's assistant instead of a doctor. We talked about low carb, and she does it too! That was great.
WOW that's awesome that your PA does LC too!
Quote:
I was reading online about the national weight control registry. They are a group that is tracking people who have lost weight and kept it off for more than a year. In general most of the people are doing low-calorie and low-fat, eat breakfast, and exercise an hour a day usually by walking. I definitely don't fit the stereotype! But I was glad to hear it that people who have kept the weight off for 2 to 5 years find it much easier as time does on, and if you keep it off for that long you are more likely to keep it off forever. That is my goal. I just have to keep working this one day at a time. They also said that the people who are most successful do not deviate from their plan for holidays and vacations or special occasions. That is definitely my mindset. I have not been completely successful with that at Christmas time, that is my weak time. But I'm trying to work on my mindset for this Christmas already!
Thanks for sharing all that great information. I loved the part I bolded b/c that's how I live my life too!

Now I have to go check out that registry too!

So why do you think Christmas is such a struggle for you?

Maybe we can help you come up with some great strategies so that you can be über successful this year and we have six months to do it!

Last edited by Just Jo : Thu, Jun-23-16 at 12:28. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #2006   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 12:24
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
Hi Lauri! I hear you on the not eating late! I do not like the feeling... been pretty successful since my restart in April. Haven't eaten after dinner excpet maybe once or twice, and always meat.

I hear you on the "not eating together".. feels anti-social...DH always jokes that we "never eat together any more"... but, for now, I just need to eat when I need to eat. I will sit at the table with DH and DD while they eat... but I typiclally eat before them. Sometimes it's defensive eating, sometimes I'm just really hungry, and always, I like to eat as early as I can.

Did you ever watch Seinfeld? There's an episode where Jerry goes to Florida to visit his parents and they get ready to go to dinner in the late afternoon...

Mom: "Jerry, let's go. It's time for dinner!"
Jerry: "What? What time is it?"
Dad: "4:00. If we hurry, we can catch the Early Bird. But we gotta' get there before 4:30"
Jerry: "I'm not force-feeding myself a steak at 4:30 in the afternoon to save a couple of bucks!"
Mom: "Fine. We'll wait. But it's unheard of!"

To this day, whenever I fire up the BBQ in the late afternoon/early evening, to put on a steak for myself (and anyone else who wants!) my DH ALWAYS says:

I'm not force-feeding myself a steak at 4:30 in the afternoon!
I know you posted this to Lauri, but I had to put in my 2 cents worth!

I'm totally with you on "I just need to eat when I need to eat."

When I was in a relationship, that's what I did too! Even now when family comes over for a visit or I visit them (we're all in different states), I'll eat when I need to eat. Doesn't mean they have to eat too. And I always try to eat at least 2 hours before I go to bed...

Even now when I go out to "eat" with friends or family, I don't "eat" out. I'm paranoid about eating food I don't prepare myself ~ a topic for another time!

If it's a dinner affair, I eat before I go. If it's lunch, I just go for the companionship and become the designated dt. soda or ice tea drinker for either lunch or dinner. My friends and family know that about me and accept it!

OMG, I remember that Seinfeld episode!
  #2007   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 18:55

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Warriors, today has been a lazy day. Been raining off and on all day.

Went shopping yesterday, then back out today to get carby stuff for the boys. I conveniently forgot their stuff yesterday. It must have been a deliberate slip of the mind. LOL

Fixing chicken and salad for dinner, DH has his potato's to go with it. He has ice cream and left over strawberry cake for dessert.

I don't think I need to have dessert tonight I'm not that hungry. It's odd his potato's are not that tempting today, not like the other night when everyone had KFC.

I admire you Delaney C for trying to give up caffeine. I've never been able to wean myself off. One time I had a couple of lady clients that didn't drink coffee and I almost weaned myself off, but ended up drinking it again.

When DH worked we ate separately because he came home too late at night to eat with him. I almost preferred it when he did work all day. I haven't had a free day for awhile. He doesn't mean to, but he gets on my nerves.

well I hope everyone has a great on plan rest of the day.

peace and Blessings;
  #2008   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 19:51

BF:

Quote:
So many good things happening! I wish I had time to respond on my computer instead of just on my phone. Jo, for Me the 4 hour eating window means I might have a late lunch at 1 or 2, and then have dinner at 5. Or I might have my dinner at 4 or 5, and then have a light dessert an hour or two later. It's definitely not an open window of time to eat for 4 hours! LOL my biggest problem is snacking so it's important to me to limit the time that I can eat.

Hi Lauri! What do you teach again? It's funny that we both scheduled our full physicals for right after school let out... I think most teachers do. Mine went well too. Doc knows I'm doing "no sugar, no grains" and he's cool with it.

It would be really really cool if the Awesome Warriors who have taken off the excess weight, and kept it off, could register and represent OUR way of doing things! Like you mentioned, MOST "weight-loss stories" that get publicity are about low cal, low fat "healthy" eating and punitive/unsustainable amounts of exercise. It would be really cool to get more and more alternatives in there! I think we all agree, this WOL is COMPLETELY sustainable. And, for me, it's getting easier each day- not harder. I thought, after gettting stone-cold serious on my restart April 23, that it might get harder the longer you "abstain" from certian foods...like missing someone the longer you don't get a chance to visit... but, it's really more like...well, a death. The missing gets a bit paler and a bit less painful as the days go by. As the days turn into weeks, and then years... some days, you don't even think about the person. You will ALWAYS love them. You would give anything for one more day with them, like old times... but you know, it's not possible. And, over time, the missing becomes less. ...I know it's not exactly like that, but kind of.

Well, went off on a bit of a tangent...

Happy almost Friday!
  #2009   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 19:55

BF:

[QUOTE=jmh6251]
Quote:
Hi Warriors, today has been a lazy day. Been raining off and on all day....I don't think I need to have dessert tonight I'm not that hungry. It's odd his potato's are not that tempting today, not like the other night when everyone had KFC.
Don't you LOVE LOVE LOVE days like that??!! I know I do!
  #2010   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 20:04

BF:

[QUOTE=Just Jo]
Quote:
I know you posted this to Lauri, but I had to put in my 2 cents worth!
We LOVE your 2 cents, jo!!!

Quote:
I'm totally with you on "I just need to eat when I need to eat."

When I was in a relationship, that's what I did too! Even now when family comes over for a visit or I visit them (we're all in different states), I'll eat when I need to eat. Doesn't mean they have to eat too. And I always try to eat at least 2 hours before I go to bed...
yup. The earlier I eat in the afternoon/evening, the better things seem to be in the morning.

Quote:
Even now when I go out to "eat" with friends or family, I don't "eat" out. I'm paranoid about eating food I don't prepare myself ~ a topic for another time!
I hear you! I remember something about a Diet Coke not being diet...we still do eat out from time to time... but you are right...it's a mine field out there. Carbs lurking in EVERY corner- ready to POUNCE into our open mouths!!! Scary stuff!!

Quote:
it's a dinner affair, I eat before I go. If it's lunch, I just go for theIf companionship and become the designated dt. soda or ice tea drinker for either lunch or dinner. My friends and family know that about me and accept it!
yup., yup yup. excellent strategy and IT WORKS!!! .. A great GF of mine I haven't seen in a long time texted to get together for happy hour...I countered with, "how 'bout we meet at Starbux, get coffee (black for me) and head to the park for a "walk n talk?" She agreed! So, Carb-laiden Happy hour and Alcohol averted!

Quote:
OMG, I remember that Seinfeld episode!
love that show. we quote it almost daily.

Thanks as always, Jo, for taking time to make each one of us feel special. You are a shining example of what dedication and committment to this WOL can be. You are walking the walk and talking the talk... AND you are still here! AND you have kept the weight off!!! so awesome.
Closed Thread