Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 09:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/163/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Need Muscle Weight Help!

Hello All,

I have a burning question. I have tried googling it many times but I can't get a clear answer. How much muscle weight is it reasonable to gain when you have been lifting weights and doing HIIT 3 days a week for the past 6-7 weeks? I have seen a huge gain on the scale. At my lowest I was down to 165, now I am at 173 (on a good day), but my measurements keep going down. I thought the scale was supposed to catch up eventually to the loss of inches? I was patient at first, but it's been weeks! I thought I would never see any weight that was in the 170's again, and it's pissing me off. I know I shouldn't pay attention, but I do! I thought I was on my way to the 150's and that just seems to get farther and farther away.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 10:28
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

That's awesome, wish I could gain muscle like that. Please don't let the number mess with your mind - you are getting smaller. What about taking measurements for a while and skipping the scale?
Sorry, I don't know when the scale catches up with the loss of inches...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 11:48

BF:

Yes I really do need to ditch that scale. But without the reassurance I get scared that this is where I'm headed (see attachment):

But thanks, I've always been quick to build muscle. It's just the fat that I'm slow to lose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hellga_0254.jpg (54.4 KB, 29 views)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 13:30
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB
Yes I really do need to ditch that scale. But without the reassurance I get scared that this is where I'm headed (see attachment):

But thanks, I've always been quick to build muscle. It's just the fat that I'm slow to lose.

What about a pair of skin tight jeans you can try on to gauge your progress......just thowin' alternative scale options at ya.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 17:07

BF:

That's a good idea. I do have a pair of hideous shorts that DH bought before we went on a vacation awhile ago. I cried when I couldn't pull them up over my hips even though they were in my size. Now I can comfortably put them on, but I'm still not a big fan of the shorts. I guess I'll know I've made it when they fit loosely around my upper thighs.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 00:33

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

I wouldnt expect to gain more than 1/2 a pound per week of muscle. Everyone is different and I cant really speak for the rate women gain muscle. What i do know that adding muscle is a slow process, so be consistent and intense with your workouts. Also keep your diet clean, you dont want to end up adding more fat than muscle. You may want to drop a session of HIIT and do some low intensity cardio instead. How many days per week are you lifting?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 10:43

BF:

I am lifting 3 days a week, Tuesday, Thursday and one day on the weekend. I do HIIT on the same days.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 10:56

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

I definetly would not do HIIT alongside weights. Try and split them onto seperate days if possible. If you can only make it to the gym 3 days per week, do your weights first, and some lower intensity cardio after.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-19-09, 11:00

BF:

Ok thanks Carl I will give that a try!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 08:36

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

I think the original plan was better, weights, then about 10 minutes or so of HIIT. Or, weights, go home and do intervals a few hours later.