Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was(am) doing this diet too. I was doing great but then did start having some hellacious cravings........I think it had a lot to do with stress and my medications though.

I have been low carbin it for almost a week now.......and once I feel a little more settled in my eating, I'm going to back to the CTL diet and start adding in lower GI foods.

Lynn has been a huge help to me too.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 16:35

Plan: protein power
Stats: 166/150/130 Female 5.2
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby_one
I was(am) doing this diet too. I was doing great but then did start having some hellacious cravings........I think it had a lot to do with stress and my medications though.

I have been low carbin it for almost a week now.......and once I feel a little more settled in my eating, I'm going to back to the CTL diet and start adding in lower GI foods.

Lynn has been a huge help to me too.
Good luck!

Thanks.

Good luck to you, too!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 09:38

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Just downloaded this e-book and am finding it very interesting as I have tried carb cycling before. The basics are easy to understand and it seems like a program that would be easy enough to follow, since you are never giving up carbs forever and so won't ever have to feel deprived.

Since I do so poorly on VLC, this sounds like something I can do. I like the idea of being able able to eat as many "free veggies" as you like. I'm actually starting it today and will post here so anyone interested can see how it's going for me.

Looking forward to see how anyone else doing this WOE is doing also, maybe we can offer each other lots of encouragement.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 09:51

BF:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDee
Hey just ask if you need help with anything, be glad to help you. Sometimes I get really busy or overwelmed with stuff and don't post for a couple of days but I always see stuff left in my journal.

Biggest tip - don't make tweaks! Do it just as it is written, me and two of my other friends have been on this diet and it works great if you follow it.

If you have a problem with late night snacking or just being overly hungry at night (which did happen to me at the first) you can do one of two things - skip one of your snacks and eat it a couple of hours after dinner or what I prefer to do is make a protein shake for one of the meals or snacks, drink half, save the other half for after dinner.

Sounds like excellent advise. I do have a question. You mentioned protein shakes and I wonder if you use the one he suggests in the book. I already use a low carb whey protein powder that I'm okay with, but will switch if you think it's necessary. I notice this company has a low carb and a complete version of the one he recommends and I like the idea of that - takes the thought out of this process when you get to the higher carb days. Wonder too how they taste?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 10:06

Plan: Maintaining
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 7"
BF:I'm/at/GOAL!
Progress: 105%

I don't remember which brand of protein powder I got, but I didn't get the one that was suggested in the book because I bought two huge containers before I started on the plan. I got ones that I knew I liked the taste of and they are low-carb but not quite as low carb as they recommended. I think mine had 3 more carbs per serving than what they suggested but I didn't see the point of wasting what I had, they were good and I didn't notice them causing any issues the weight still dropped. I think if you only have one or two protein shakes a day the difference isn't that great, now if you were living off of protein shakes you might want to get the lowest carb ones.

Last edited by LynnDee : Mon, Feb-02-09 at 10:32.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict1000
Yeah that is what I was thinking too...but I don't understand why. How can eating junk help you lose.

Kind of read back through the thread and actually just noticed this post. Who says you have to eat junk? I am not much into junk.

low carb days are pretty much just low carb days

low gi days - similiar to low carb but you add in fruit and beans or lentils (which I do consider very good for you)

high gi days - lower fat, whole grains and vegetables with reduced fruit and no beans or lentils (or very little)

best thing is I was able to eat oatmeal which I also don't consider to be junk

cheat day - one day a week you eat what you are really craving, that didn't mean for me at least to eat a box of ice cream or a whole chocolate cake. My cheat days normally ended up eating a nice breakfast with my family (whatever I cooked for them). Soup and a sandwich for lunch or a grilled hamburger on a whole wheat bun because I enjoy those. Dinner was usually something grilled and vegies or a nice dinner out somewhere. Usually by the cheat day I wasn't really interested in desserts and junk because I felt so good physically.

Any plan you are on you still decide what to put in your mouth - if you on WW do you eat healthy or do you save all your points for ice cream then binge because you are hungry?

Whatever plan you are on you have to decide what is best for you, the plan worked really well for me because I prefer good food over junk and that is what I chose.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 10:34

BF:

Thanks LynnDee. I had just bought a new container of protiein powder too and didn't want to waste mine either. Mine is very low in carbs and fat and will do just fine then for this first phase of the plan. I "might" look into getting the complete powder he suggests when I get to the higher carb phase.

Glad to hear you've been so successful on this plan. I got pretty excited as I was reading it and couldn't wait to get started. I ate my big load of carbs yesterday (Sunday) since I wanted to start on Monday (I do better when I'm at work on LC), plus I wanted to be able to eat a little more "freely" on Superbowl Sunday - Y-E-Y Steelers. I'm not a big eater and although I had some of my favorite foods yesterday I didn't pig out on anything but I'm sure I got those Leptin levels up, lol.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 10:37

Pamlynn I made my cheat days on Sunday because that is family day at my house. Also that meant that Saturday was a high gi day which gave me lots of options while being at home and cooking. Worked out really well for the most part when ever everyone was at my house during the weekends I pretty much could eat what they were eating.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 10:52

BF:

That's what's so fantastic about this plan, you have so many options that you would have to try really hard to "fail".

Also great post above regarding the cheat days. I suspect that because you are able to add carbs back in, that your cravings are markedly decreased and so is your urge to eat so much of the really bad carbs on your "cheat days".
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 10:57

Pam don't get me wrong you can have cake and stuff on your cheat day, you can have anything you really really want, but after having breads, fruits and all the stuff that is on plan somehow it works out where you would prefer or crave something really good. I have eaten cake, I drink (alot sometimes) ate homemade buttermilk pancakes and waffles with real butter and syrup, but if you eat a nice meal and you aren't trying to just stuff everything in you because it is cheat days it really works.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 11:36

BF:

Understood. The author really stresses satisfying any cravings you might have and taking full advantage of your cheat days to do so - believe me I won't have a problem. Plus I know how important it is to get those levels back up there. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to following this program.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

So is the cheat day the only day you can have alcohol ?
How intense/hard is the exercise routine?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 13:31

Book recommends that you don't drink alcohol or limit the amount because it will slow down your weight loss, but you can still have it and of course on cheat day it is allowed.

Exercise - hiit exercise is recommended and/or different training exercises but I never did any of those because I like to jog/run and I figured if I am going to run 5 miles with the dog on any given day that would have to be enough for exercise.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 14:22

BF:

Day 3 and have to say that so far, so good. Cravings have been minimal. Carbs have been low and have been salads and sauteed veggies. Not feeling overly hungry. My BS levels have been great. Already making plans for week 2, actually looking forward to the progressing thru the phases.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 15:37

Great Pam! That was the thing on this diet my BS was very stable and I felt really good.