Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 12:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/297/180
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Being a guy

Hello all, hope everyone had a great Christmas. I was sure nice to come back home and see everyone.

I just have a quick question about the difference between men and women. In no way am I trying to put women down by this by no means!!!

Do men lose weight faster then women? I once was in weight watchers and was told that men can lose twice the amount twice as fast. Does this hold any water? If maybe a married couple who went on the diet together could shed light on this.

Thanks, Have a great day!

Cableguy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 12:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Generally speaking, yes, men lose faster than women. This is mostly due to lean muscle mass. Men have more of it; muscles burn the fat and increase your metabolism. Having more is desirable.

On average men can safely lose 3 lbs of body fat a week, women 2 lbs. Anything more is usually water or muscle.

Men also tend to have less food intolerances and allergies than women - the biggest being cheese. No one is sure exactly why this is but some hypothesize that it is the hormones in milk products that cause so many problems for women.

HTH,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 13:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Cableguy! I agree with Nat, both in her conclusion and her reasoning I don't know of any studies, but if you browse weight loss websites, you'll soon see that men seem to lose at a much faster and steadier pace than women. So that's your good news for the new year

I hope you keep posting so we can see how you're doing I forgot to check to see if you'd yet started a journal. If not, I hope you will. It's nice to have a place to come to every day, or every few days, depending on the amount of time you have, where we can post menus as well as successes and obstacles. It will be fun to see your progress.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 13:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

On the difference between men and women losing fat at a different rate .. there's also the estrogen factor. Some prehistoric built-in survival of the species thing, that allows women to retain their fat stores longer in times of famine, in order to preserve reproductive capability. It's well known that overtraining female athletes, and anorexics who go below a certain % fat level .. will stop ovulating and all female hormonal processes come to a halt.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Cableguy! It's great to see you again!

YES!!! You men DO lose faster. lol My father-in-law and mother-in-law went on LC together. FIL lost much faster and got down, not only to his goal weight, but far below it, in a much shorter period of time than MIL got to hers. I have an email friend whose husband lost much, much faster than she did while LC'ing. Anytime Allen and I do any type of dieting together, he always loses faster than me. For some reason (probably all those stated above), you men's pants begin falling off within no time. It's not fair!