Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%
Default Sick of the Stupidity

On "Supersize Me" Morgan Spurlock's Vegan/Chef girlfriend made the comment, "Honey, ham is worse for you than heroine!"

And the other day I saw a post by a Vegan that said, "Meat is more addictive than drugs and causes diabetes."

I guess I'm getting worn on the politically correct, "feel good" dogma that is being promoted by the vegetarian/vegan crowd. Now, if someone want to be a vegetarian, hats off...I don't have an issue with it. But when people make uneducated comments about issues I'm not sure they have studied, but feel the need to make negative comments on, that kind of rubs my rubbarb the wrong way.

Over40
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 15:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

All groups tend to bad-mouth the competition. There have been plenty of anti-vegan posts on this site that misrepresented the vegan lifestyle. People tend to look at the exteme members and think that that is the 'typical' member. For instance, a box of Twinkies and a six pack of coke are vegan, but they would not be a typical vegan meal.

All foods can be viewed as addictive. Just try to go without food and you will suffer withdrawal pains (hunger) and eventually die!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 16:04
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Just because these people are famous, it doesn't mean they have brains. Their brains have been decaying for years without some good protein!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 18:01

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%

another quote from his vegan girlfriend: "We'll put you back on a diet of cleansing vegetables"...might as well bring out the crystals and new age music.
Cleansing vegetables? Have you ever smelled a compost heap?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 18:07
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

steeved-- remember the ColonBlow thread?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 22:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%

Well,

I agree with Dodger. The competition does bad mouth the opponent. And certainly low carbers have bad mouthed vegetarians/vegans, etc. And probably, that doesn't need to be done.

Although, Dodger, I did know a vegan who ate Lay's potato chips and drank Pepsi for lunch on a regular basis. But she was sure to inform everyone of the bad stuff that was in meat. Which is the same as the Atkins "guru" I work with who chastised me for drinking a Slim-fast one day at lunch while he ate a bag of pepperoni and a bag of pork rinds.

I agree with foxgloves also, quality protein ingestion is lacking in some people.

What dturbes me is the quips I have been reading about Atkins, and low carb in general causing "instant death". I assume that "take" is a carry over from the liquid protein diets of the 70's.

Take Care,

Over40
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That comment made me wonder too. You'd think that someone like Spurlock who is inquisitive and wants to see for himself how things work would call BS when faced with a comment like that. But then again, he'd probably be denied sex for eternity if he did.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 10:40

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over40
On "Supersize Me" Morgan Spurlock's Vegan/Chef girlfriend made the comment, "Honey, ham is worse for you than heroine!"

I found "Supersize Me" to be a pretty interesting documentary, even if I didn't agree with all of the girlfriend's opinions.

LOL, I bet there are many of us around here that can relate to watching this guy's health deteriorate. I wasn't on a total McD. diet, but I sure was close, and his symptoms mirrored mine before LC.

What I found the most interesting, however, is how long he took to recover on a vegan diet. Wasn't it 18 months?

I ate McD., or some sort of fast food, for at least two meals a day for a lot longer than he did, gained 50+ pounds more than he did, yet, I have been LCing for only 5 months and premaintenance is right around the corner for me, and I've been "symptom free" for over four months.

The proof is in the results -- the vegan diet looks to have improved this guy's health.....but he would have improved faster doing the LC lifestyle ;-)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 21:39

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

I don't know, but I think I would lose my mind if I had to eat vegan. If it was forced to. I am not going to be like some people and say "I can't live without such and such* I could LIVE eating just vegan, but I wouldn't like it.

As for ham being worse than heroine...doubtful, though it does have a lot of salt, lol. Depending on how it is prepared. Heroine is bound to kill you alot sooner though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 02:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

My attitude to veganism, vegetarian etc is that my body was designed to eat meat and veg, the way it works, the way it digests food and functions is dependant on eating meat. So who am I to try to change that and if thats how its designed then thats what it needs to enable it to function properly.

however, each to his own and I would never inflict my view on anyone else, nor would I expect anyone else to inflict their view on me ( got that PCRM)!

Jo
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 02:56

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hahahaha. You may not live to be 100 years old on a vegan/vegetarian diet... but it'll *seem* like 100 years...
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 11:10

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

the entire "super size me" was a complete PETA B***S*** fest. it was so biased that none of it should be taken seriously.

all of the physicians were from PCRM all of them. now his girlfriend has her new book out- the whole thing stinks. i believe the entire show was a completely overblown setup. as soon as the doctor started discussing his results i knew it was a setup.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 11:45

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 158/136/140 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedswife
the entire "super size me" was a complete PETA B***S*** fest. it was so biased that none of it should be taken seriously.

all of the physicians were from PCRM all of them. now his girlfriend has her new book out- the whole thing stinks. i believe the entire show was a completely overblown setup. as soon as the doctor started discussing his results i knew it was a setup.

I've been saying this all along. I haven't the time for "Supersize Me" and it's contrived propagandist views, not now, not ever.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 13:27

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I thought "Supersize Me" was absolutely ridiculous and cannot understand why anyone would give it any credibility. The man stuffed himself sick at every meal. OF COURSE that's harmful. It was complete and utter Bull***t...Penn and Teller should expose it on their show of the same name!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Supersize me in a nutshell:

I'm going to prove to the world computers are bad with a sensationalist propaganda piece disgused as an unbiased documentary!
I am going to do this because I'm some breed of an environut, and I want people to be anti-technology, furthering my insane cause!

I am going to take my minitower, misuse and abuse it for a month! I will download viruses, kick it, throw it, pour water on it, and other weird/abnormal behaviors! I'm going to lead people to form negative emotional associations between computer usage / reliance on technology! I'm going to cast a lot of fear (MACHINES WILL TAKE OUR JOBS), doubt (HOW SAFE IS DATA ON A HARD DISK?), and shame (YOU ONLY USE COMPUTERS BECAUSE YOU'RE STUPID AND LAZY TO DO WORK YOURSELF) -- the whole NINE YARDS -- to further "The Cause" (aka my religious like belief in the superiority of a simple gaget free life).

I am going to document my abusive, abnormal, and wholly unnatural behavior toward this piece of machinery in lurid detail! I will likewise document the subsequent and obvious deterioration of performance and it's negative effect on my life that will ensue!

This will then lead people to form irrational and completely stupid conclusions about whether or not using computers - as intended - is a good idea!

Here's the funny part though: THE CONCLUSION IS RIGGED! The experiment and it's conditions are ridiculously flawed from the outset so that only the conclusion I want to be reached can possibly be reached! Once my "scientific experiment proves my point", I'll run wild using the data to further "The Cause"! I'm a smartee pantz!

(The one significant difference between this scenario and the spectacle of SuperSizeMe, is the unfortunate fact that obesity is a HUMAN condition, not the condition of an inanimate object. It's terribly unfortunate this pathetic worm has chosen to single out and exploit the obese to further his animal rights propaganda BS. Joseph Goebbels would be proud. Although on the other hand, he's doing an excellent job offering evidence to support my theory that ideologically extreme individuals are that way at the expense of empathy/tolerance/compassion for fellow human beings...)