Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 00:38

Plan: modified bernstein's
Stats: 178/142/130 Female 5'6""
BF:
Progress:
Default The "variety of foods" complaint

Hi, fellow LC-ers,

I just lost my email to the group so am trying again & hoping two slightly different ones don't go through. Anyway, I rarely post but have been thinking about how many LC newbies (on other boards as well as this one) complain about the lack of variety in their choices. I used to cook a lot for groups of people, not to mention my family, regularly. This was in my pre-low carb days. Not very much anymore--more for just myself as I do low carb. Yet I am overwhelmed by all the ideas on low carb sites, on this site, for meal & snack ideas--and I'm mainly talking about the easy ideas & recipes! I can't fathom why anyone would get bored with choices if they really do the research. I don't think I'll live long enough to try out all the possibilities. Do any of you feel the same way? I mean, it can actually frustrate me to not have the time or ingredients to try it all! Still, it's fun trying....

begone
(now at goal weight, 140, not wanting to lose 5 or gain 5, though losing 5 would be better than gaining. (-: cholesterol on low carb now 132, w/ratio of 2.6)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 06:33

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Yes, I agree with you. I can cook almost anything I need.

The sad truth is that a lot of people these days just don't know how to cook. High carb, low carb or anything which doesn't come out of a packet.

I think eveeryone is going to agree with you..then why is this in the war zone?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 08:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

As someone who enjoys cooking and trying new recipes, I see your point. There is such a huge variety possible just choosing from the foods allowed on a low carb plan, I can't imagine getting bored and if I do, it would be my own fault for getting into a rut.
But...if a person doesn't like many vegetables (and they aren't willing to try new ones) and/or doesn't like to cook (or know how), I can see where the choices could seem rather limited.
I recently taught a cooking class for the Jr. and Sr. high students in my church and was honestly surprised at the number of kids who had not learned even the basics of food preparation. Why aren't moms, aunts and grandmothers (or dads, uncles and grandfathers for that matter) teaching these kids how to feed themselves???
It seems that knowing how to cook your own meals is becoming a dying art.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 09:01

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

There are many people who eat at all their meals at fast food joints or from microwavable packaged boxes. That makes it really hard to get any low-carb variety.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 09:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
There are many people who eat at all their meals at fast food joints or from microwavable packaged boxes. That makes it really hard to get any low-carb variety.

True, Mike. But if a person is going to follow a plan that promotes mostly whole, unprocessed foods it would probably be a good idea to learn at the very least some basic cooking skills.
I realize that people are busier than ever these days and time is at a premium, but there are ways to cook your own meals with a minimum of effort; crock pots, for example. Taking an afternoon on the weekend to cook a lot of food or meals at one time and then freezing for the rest of the week is another. They can be reheated in less than 10 minutes. I've waited in drive-throughs longer than that.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 09:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think it takes a change of mindset and that can be hard.

Regulard food isn't hard for me at all but I'd been a hc baker for years and learning lc ingredients and techniques was a challenge that I still fail occassionally. Now I just "steal" others' recipes after they've done all the work, lol!!

I think, in the beginning people just feel the loss of the starchy side dishes and bread so keenly they become confused and anxious.

Yes, you can fix rice, potatoes and wheat in innumerable ways but it's still just three ingredients, lol!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 12:21
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It's an adjustment to learn the hundreds of ways lc ingredients can be prepared, when IF you've learned to cook, it's likely the hundreds of ways to make the aforementioned 3 ingredients interesting!

I come from the most rural part of the midwest... where potatoes and bread are equal partners with meat and gravy on the dinner table, and you HAVE to have dessert. "Salad" means a bowl of iceburg lettuce with some anemic-looking tomatoes on top, or some jello or pudding concoction involving 2 tubs of Cool-Whip....

If I wasn't lucky enough to have a Grandma to even teach me the way to cook HIGH-carb, I'd be completely out of luck learning to use the limited assortment of low-carb ingredients we have available in my area with any amount of creativity.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 13:38

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I am having a new kitchen installed at the moment. I have just cooked Sunday dinner:

Starters: scallops with a sour cream sauce.

Main course: Roast lamb with cauliflower, brocholi and french beans.

Dessert: Stewed berries with cream.

All cooked in a microwave!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 13:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

RCFletcher, can I come live with you?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 16:26

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I agree with every entry on this post. I too really enjoy cooking, it's one of my long-time hobbies. So, I've been really enjoying relearning how to cook. Yes, it's hard for those who are nervous about trying anything new, either cooking or eating. But I believe I have as many options with lcing as I did hcing. If a person tried one new recipe a week for awhile, it wouldn't be long before they had an impresssive array of great recipes. Actually, my Mom isn't a great cook and never taught any of us anything but how to fry an egg. So, we all got in there and taught ourselves and can all put out a really good spread--and have made many a mistake, but so what?-- So...for you who complains about no variety, maybe first get in there on your day off and try some of the great recipes in this forum? Most of them are no hassle and/or quick, many can be done ahead for a quick meal later.--Gail
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 16:32

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Robert,

Please send me your leftovers.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 17:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Robert,

Please send me your leftovers.

I'll arm wrestle you for 'em!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 17:52

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi all! Being new to the LC way of life myself, I am trying my best to learn how to NOT include gravy, potatoes, sugars, and rice into my recipes. I seriously think every single meal I used to eat (I used to eat low fat) involved at least one of these things. I'm not saying I am the world's best chef, but I can hold my own, and unfortunately not everyone is a good cook, or even a cook at all. In essence, what I'm asking for is you everyone to be patient with the newcomers, and if you are "tired" of reading about food complaints, hit the back button on your browser as soon as you come to those type of posts. That way you won't be upset by them, and us newbies can receive posts from members willing to answer all of questions without feeling like we are asking something dumb. Thanks for listening, have a great day all!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 17:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 131/108/110 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default cost factor

because of the cost i think.......i spend double at the grocery store now...i dont think its lack of choices people mean to complain about..its not enough money to buy the shimp, fish, meats...gotta admit that stuff gets expensive. So people on a budget may stick with the basics just to keep the grocery bill down....basics=boredom. Just my opinion.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 18:28

BF:

Quote:
I am trying my best to learn how to NOT include gravy

Pssst....gravy can be made low carb. You can use heavy cream and reduce the liquid to thicken or you can add guar or xanthan gum to the liquid to thicken it like you used to with flour or cornstarch. Guar or Xanthan gum can take a little practice to use, but neither adds carbs or any unusual taste to the gravy.

Quote:
basics=boredom. Just my opinion.

That's just it. Basics doesn't have to = boredom. Trust me, we're not eating steak, shrimp and lobster at my house every night of the week. We eat a lot of chicken and I base my menus on whatever meats are on sale (this week it was chuck roast, chicken, perch, ham and pork loin). What makes foods interesting isn't the type of meat, necessarily, but the variety of ways that those meats can be prepared and seasoned.
For example, I can take the chicken that I bought and bread it with CarbQuick or crushed pork rinds and fry it or I can slice up peppers, mushrooms and onions, season it with herbs and garlic, add a little heavy cream and bake it for a few hours. I could take that same chicken and coat it with parmesan cheese and roast it with some cabbage (cheap, cheap, cheap this time of year) drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with sea salt on the side. Or...I could boil that same chicken to make stock and have egg-drop soup (with some of that same cabbage added from the roasted chicken or maybe some frozen spinach) and chicken for chicken salads at lunch and/or diced chicken for a casserole later this week. All that is just a small sample of all the different things that can be done with chicken. The same holds true for most other meats. A little creativity goes a long way.