Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 05:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default NY Time Article: Fears (Real and Excessive) From Pollution Warning on Tuna

Fears (Real and Excessive) From Pollution Warning on Tuna
By JENNIFER 8. LEE

Published: April 10, 2004

hen Joseph Ugalde, 38, a San Francisco marketing executive, goes out for lunch, he orders the Chinese chicken salad, the turkey avocado sandwich or sometimes the chicken pesto melt.

But as of last month, one thing he will not order is tuna fish. No tuna salads. No tuna sandwiches. No tuna melts. "I loved tuna melts," Mr. Ugalde said somewhat wistfully. "Or I did."

Now, however, Mr. Ugalde is boycotting tuna, which he used to eat once or twice a week, because of federal advisories about mercury in it.

"When you are seeing headlines about mercury splashed across newspapers, it puts up a little warning sign across your head," said Mr. Ugalde, who recently warned a co-worker who was on the low-carbohydrate Atkins diet about the tuna she was eating every day.

Consumers like Mr. Ugalde are the tuna industry's nightmare as they react to a federal warning about the mercury content in albacore tuna. More than $1.5 billion worth of canned tuna is sold in the United States each year. A staple of school lunches, dieters' meal plans and office workers' brown bags, canned tuna accounts for 20 percent of the seafood consumed in this country.

That statistic suggests why the industry lobbied hard for four years to keep a federal warning about mercury off cans of albacore tuna. In that period, consumption of all types of tuna in the United States has dropped by over 15 percent, and tuna has been displaced by shrimp as the most popular seafood in the country.

Already this year, as word that white tuna would be added to the advisory began circulating, sales of canned white tuna have dropped 6 percent. And now that the advisory has been formally issued, anecdotal evidence suggests that consumption of canned tuna — and perhaps seafood in general — will take a serious hit.

Never mind that the federal advisory is just for young children and women who plan to have children. Never mind that the advisory covers only white albacore tuna, and not light tuna, which has a lower mercury content — and is cheaper. Never mind that the advisory actually recommends limiting consumption of albacore tuna to six ounces per week — that is one or two meals — as opposed to eliminating it entirely. And never mind that the federal government says tuna is actually very good for people — an affordable, low-fat, high-protein source of the omega-3 fatty acids that reduce heart disease.

Health professionals are worried that the advisory's message is being heard all wrong in a country plagued by obesity and heart problems.

"The message of fish being good has been lost," said Eric Rimm, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, "and people are learning more about the hypothetical scare of a contaminant than they are of the well-documented benefits of coronary disease reduction. The dangers of the tuna fish is not well documented compared to the potential dangers for a 50-year-old male or female who are at much higher risk of coronary death."

The decline in the fortunes of tuna began in 2001 when the Food and Drug Administration first issued an advisory to women and children about mercury in seafood. That warning recommended that people limit their consumption of swordfish, shark, tilefish and king mackerel. It did not mention tuna. With the new advisory specifically mentioning albacore, the tuna industry is hoping that sales do not go into a free fall.

In an effort to head off an overreaction to the advisory, officials from the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency included in the official advisory a list of other seafood with a low mercury content — including light tuna, which happens to be what is used in the national school lunch program, overseen by the Agriculture Department. And the officials added two sentences high in the advisory emphasizing how seafood helps the heart, as well as children's growth and development.

But as doctors know, too many people get their health information through quick news headlines, office chatter and random dips into Web sites.

"Pieces of it get pulled out and are not put into the context," said Dr. David W. K. Acheson, the director of food safety at the F.D.A.

Doctors say anecdotal evidence suggests that the advisory's message has been muddled.

"I enjoyed eating fish, but when I got evidence to the contrary, it just completely destroyed my feelings about its benefits," said Andrew Hayes, 39, of Chicago, who said he used to eat fish once or twice a week. "I understand it's irrational, but it's the way it is."

Boycotting fish or cutting back seems particularly common among pregnant women. Victoria Pericon, 30, a New York City resident who gave birth last July, said, "I swore off eating all types fish while I was pregnant because I wasn't sure what other kinds of contaminants they would find in what other kinds of fish."

Nutritionists are particularly concerned when women stop eating fish because women tend to be the gatekeeper to the dinner table in the household. That is exactly what has happened in the home of Paula Chase-Hyman, who has stopped serving fish despite the fact that her 9-year-old daughter likes it. Ms. Chase-Hyman, 33, a pregnant woman who lives near Annapolis, Md., said, "Because I have cut it out of my diet that means I'm not cooking it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/10/national/10TUNA.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 06:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

I miss tuna too, but the public got the message right. Now, how about cleaning up the problem.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 09:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I don't eat much tuna.....but I"mnot changing what kind or how much. I figure it's rare enough to not cause a problem. As for white vs light? I'll stick with white, thanks.

(My mom always referred to light as "cat food".....and that's what it looks like to me!)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 10:17

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

The thing is people mistrust governement warnings. People don't really trust the governement when they set arbitrary levels at which consumption of a toxic chemical becomes "safe". The reasoning is if something is bad for you, then best to stay away from it altogether just to be "on the safe side".

Mind you, people still consume lots of fat, a substance widly proclaimed to be unhealthy as well as a whole lot of other her "unhealthy" food. In fact it's scary how many toxins we probably consume on a daily basis in our polluted and chemical-ridden world.

Hmmm I wonder if any of these people abstaining from tuna are smokers.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 21:28

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I'm sure that the tuna industry fought hard to keep the government from issuing any warning whatsoever. That’s usually the way it works with these sorts of things, so I’m worried that the warning may not go far enough, and the mercury levels may be even worse than we’ve been told. Darn it, I love tuna fish, and I hate having to cut back on eating it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/130/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 106%

From ConsumerFreedom.com;

"A study published in the Lancet, an international medical journal, decisively demonstrates that there is nothing to fear from trace levels of mercury in fish. The Lancet study intensively examined women and their children in the Seychelles islands -- where they eat fish with the same levels of mercury as the fish consumed in the United States. But they eat about 10 times as much fish as the typical American. They consume fish an average of 12 times a week, and, probably as a result, have about six times as much mercury in their bodies as the typical American. Nevertheless, lead author Gary Myers says: "We've found no evidence that the low levels of mercury in seafood are harmful." "

I've got mercury in my tooth fillings, mercury in the house thermosat, mercury in the gas meter, heck I used to play with mercury when I was little. They put that stuff in everything, from tin cans to hemorrhoid cream.

I'm certainly not going to worry about trace amounts in my fish.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 23:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

My understanding is the white tuna (Younger fish) is still safe to eat as they haven't had time to build up mecury in their flesh. It's the darker oder fish you have to watch. Read the label on the can, it will say White Tune
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 09:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Male 68 inches
BF:25
Progress: 25%

There are different compounds of mercury. Some are extremely lethal. Dental amalgams are safer than most. Don't forget that one of the FDA panel members who was involved with the FDA warning quit because he didn't think the decision went far enough. We are not necessairly talking about "trace" amounts here.

NoBimbo provided the following table a few weeks ago:

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned chunk light tuna, salmon, pollack and catfish. Don’t exceed six ounces a week of canned white albacore tuna, which has three times more mercury than canned chunk light.

High mercury concentration

Mean mercury concentration
Fish (parts per million)
Mackerel, king 0.73
Shark 0.99
Swordfish 0.97
Tilefish (Gulf of Mexico) 1.45.

Low mercury concentration

Mean mercury concentration
Fish (ppm)
Anchovies 0.04
Catfish 0.05
Clams ND
Crawfish 0.03
Flounder/Sole 0.05
Haddock 0.03
Herring 0.04
Mackerel, Atlantic (N. Atlantic) 0.05
Mackerel, chub (Pacific) 0.09
Oysters ND
Perch, ocean ND
Pollack 0.06
Salmon (canned) ND
Salmon (fresh/frozen) 0.01
Sardines 0.02
Scallops 0.05
Shrimp ND
Squid 0.07
Trout (freshwater) 0.03
Tuna (canned, chunk light) 0.12.
Source: Food and Drug Administration; Natural Resources Defense Council
ND = Concentration below level of detection (0.01 ppm)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...&type=chart