Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Carb
Stats: 280/230/170 Male 5'-10"
BF:38%
Progress: 45%
Exclamation I lost 70lbs, then started eating sweets again, BAD MISTAKE!!!

Hello everyone! My name is Charles...I have returned to get my health back on the right track. I was shocked and ashamed to read that when I last logged into LowCarbers, which was October 7th of 2001, I weighed only 226 pounds. I was doing so good on the Atkins diet and had lost 54 pounds in seven months, from my top weight of 280lbs. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of taking "ONE" little bite of Cookies-n-Cream ice cream thinking that it would not hurt, and believe it or not that one bite started an 8 month long binge. I was eating half a gallon of that stuff a day! I had half gallon Blue Bell ice cream containers filling my garbage can to the rim. I gradually shot BACK up to 272 pounds. I kept saying to myself that I would quit the next day, only to do it all over again. At times when I would make myself stop, getting back onto Atkins was harder than ever. Since I had reactivated my sugar addiction, returning to a diet of eating only eggs, meats, fish, and small portions of green vegetables, did not appeal to me at all. I wouldn't last 3 or 4 days. Well, after having several months to live the misserable "fat mans" life again, I finally came to my senses. I am now on week 3 of the Atkins and I really feel GOOD. I am now down to 266. I am also doing 20 minuites a day on my Ski-Excerciser, which also has me feeling great. I am taking my vitamins again along with my friendly oils. I am still drinking my coffee with half-n-half and Splenda, but I was doing that through my whole diet the last time and still lost weight. THIS TIME I WILL NOT FALL BACK. I can say that with confidence this time. I have returned to HELL and learned that it is still HELL. I will feel a lot better when I get back to where I left off at 226 lbs. A the rate I am going, I'll be back there in about 5-6 months. And for those of you out there thinking about taking that "one" innocent bite, I hope this encourages you not to do so.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 08:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Charles! Welcome back. We'll help keep you on track this time. You already know how to do it, you just need to do some problem solving to keep yourself on track.

Best of luck, even though luck doesn't have much to do with it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/255/180 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

~~~~~hello Charles, i know where your coming from...I too fell off my woe these past couple months and have gained back 14 lbs and i had made it under the big 200...my starting weight was 242 and i got down to 191 then the darn light bulb went off...i'm still trying to figuire out what the heck happened to me during the months that i was down...can't blame it on the weather I too am now back on the plan day five of introduction and have just now gone in to ket... why not start a journal ? i would like to keep in touch maybe we can figuire this out togeather..i have started walking again ,it helps clear the thoughts..will be away at a funeral for the nexted couple days ,but will look for you when i get back..........sammi
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Welcome back I lost 70 and gained it back.......... Am doing it again!!! This time is the last time
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:34
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Smile

I know exactly what you mean. I also am addicted to sugar. I haven't had any since Jan1, 2003. I know that the first bite of the evil stuff will lead to eating frosting out of the can in 6 months. I have a plan of action and when tempted put that into effect. So far it has worked.
So get yourself a plan of action and hang it on the frided, freezer and cubboards
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 10:35

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 167/143/135 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Right there with you, I just started back on Atkins yesterday. I joined this website 2 years ago and got within 10 pounds of my goal weight and started back to my normal eating and gained it all back as well . My thing is fried potatoes and bagels...just as bad as ice cream when it comes to carbs. I know this diet works but realize that I really need to get the weight off and stay on atkins as a way of life. Need to give up processed and high carb foods for good. And, have the self control to limit them to occasionally when I reach my goal weight. Best of luck to you and keep your fingers crossed for me!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 19:35

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I did the same thing as you. I went back to eating carbs. My appetite had already been increased from lowcarbing, so I just went at it with a vengeance. You see I got myself a new b/f and he's an excellent cook.

Anyway, I gained all the weight back and then some...the usual story. All the nice clothing I bought last winter doesn't fit.

I'm back on track now but really pissed at myself. How are you loosing the second time around ? I find that it's much much harder this time. I'm not seeing any loosening in my pants and it's been 2 weeks <sigh>
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 19:43

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thank you so much for putting this down in writting. I've been so tempted many time. Now I know the importance of NOT taking even one bit. People around me think I'm nuts when I say NO sugar allowed near me. But to know why is really important, it's just not worth that one bit. I really can't thank you enough.

Deana
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 23:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I want to thank you all, too! Talk about a humbling read. I know I try to keep reminding myself, 'just one bite CAN hurt' and so far it's been working pretty well, but I think maybe I'll C&P this all into a text document, print it out and hang it on my fridge.

DeanaJane, my friends that know how I'm eating are the same way. They sort of look at me like I have a third eye sticking out of my forehead. I just can't wait for the day when I start really looking better--they already know I'm feeling a lot better, and I can say, 'See? I told you so! My body just can't handle sugars!'
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 17:01
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 173/160/140 Female 5 ft. 3 in
BF:36.9%/36.9% 15%
Progress: 39%
Default Me To I Had Surgery And Cant Get It Together Again

I HAD SHOULDER SURGERY ON THE 3ND OF OCTOBER. I was doing really good on my weight. Ihave not gotten on the scales cause i know i have messed up BAD. i KEEP TRYING TO GET STARTED AGAIN but evertime i eat I want something i should not have. I am getting so depressed and not felling well cause I cant get a hold of this. SO ANYWAY I HOPE YOU ALL START DOING WELL . GOOD LUCK
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 19:59

Plan: aktins
Stats: 340.5/317/135 Female 5'7
BF:alot
Progress: 11%
Talking charlies

you like cookie and cream well here is a recipe that will help once out of induction. put 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1 cup water in a blender throw in a aktins cookie and cream bar for two carbs or half it for one add a dash of vanalia and one tray of ice blend until ice is almost desovled it make a cookie and cream milk shake and it only has one or two carbs depending on how much of the aktins bar you use.

i am new at this i have lost 7 lbs in 7 days i bought books and started pulling reciepes i feel if i am going to make this my life i have to find away to have what i love with out messing up. i'm the type of person that no matter what i will find a away to injoy my food because i love food but this time i will just have to become alittle creative and maybe teach my children how to eat this way for life to.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 12:38

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi all,

I am relating in a big way to everything you all are saying. Sugar is like white death for me. I've never tried cocaine but in my mind I equate the little white sweet stuff to being cocaine for me. I even found that eating anything sweet - even the Atkins bars - is a huge trigger for me. The sweet taste does something weird biologically to me. I can't even have them right now. Maybe when I am farther along in the process but for right now it would spell disaster. It isn't so much that sugar alcohols cause a stall for me - they just trigger me into wanting to eat lots of sweet stuff.

Sally
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 13:49

Plan: aktins
Stats: 340.5/317/135 Female 5'7
BF:alot
Progress: 11%

today has been hard i have picked up donuts ,ding dongs and alot of other stuff .i relieze what i'm donig and put it down before it touches my mouth but i am going crazy for a glass of milk and i'm so tired. i know tomarrow will be better and i deiced to munch on pork rinds to keep my mouth busy so my hands wont try to feed it again.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 14:44

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Changing, Good for you for putting it down! ALso, remember to drink plenty of water when you get those hunger pains.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 15:27

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
i am going crazy for a glass of milk

Hi! There's a new 'milk' on the market, and while it isn't quite the same as regular milk, it will definitely satiate the urge! I've been craving milk for some time and finally this morning had a glass of it. It's a little chalky, but it was at least milk! It's called Carb Countdown and I found mine at WalMart. It is a little sweet, but since I like to guzzle a glass of cold milk, it wasn't all that bad. This has 3 carbs per cup. I bought it mostly for my girls who're also LCing, but I just have to have a glass ever once in a while.