Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 10:41

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 250/234/130 Female 58
BF:
Progress:
Question Difference in Ketosis?

Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 months ago, and have cut my carbs down to less than 20 mg a day. After a 27 pound loss, I stalled and started looking for answers around the web. I came across these warnings of diabetics and ketosis, namely diabetic ketoacidosis, which carries these huge warnings of being in ketosis if you are diabetic. Now I'm confused. From what I've learned it's best for diabetics to watch their carbs, to lose weight, and it seems as if diabetes management and ketosis go hand in hand, yet the warning signs of DK are the same ones for general ketosis. My doctor even applauded this WOE. Yet if you check Mayo Clinic, WebMD, etc, it warns diabetics not to be in ketosis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 11:19

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

There are many threads with a great deal of info about this but I have read many times that it's a totally different thing, Ketosis from Ketoacidosis.
To search a topic, Go up to the green line near the top and click "search" then when you get to that page, make sure the "search forum" button is chosen when you type in your topic/subject.
Then if you want to search more, click your back button to search forum again or it will take you into a Google search on the WWW.
Hope this will help
There are tons of discussions and info. about this topic on the forum .
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 15:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Two different things.

Quote:
There are many misconceptions about ketosis. The most common is mixing it up with ketoacidosis – a rare and dangerous medical condition that mostly happen to people with type 1 diabetes if they don’t take insulin.6 Even some health care professionals tend to mix up these two situations somewhat, perhaps due to the similar names and a lack of knowledge about the distinct differences.

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are not the same thing.

Ketosis is a 100% natural state, under full control by the body. It can be caused by a low-carb diet or by a brief period of fasting.

Ketoacidosis is a severe malfunction of the body, with excessive and unregulated production of ketones. This leads to symptoms like nausea, vomiting and stomach pain followed by confusion and finally coma. It requires urgent medical treatment, as it can potentially be fatal.7
This graph shows the vast difference in amount of ketones in the blood between ketosis and ketoacidosis: (see very helpful graph at link)

Most people who eat a strict low-carb ketogenic diet never reach levels higher than 3 millimolar or so, in fact many people struggle to get it above 0.5. Long-term starvation – meaning a week or more with zero food – might bring the number up to 6 or 7. But ketoacidosis occurs at levels of 10+, most commonly 15+.
It’s like the difference between drinking a glass of water vs. drowning in an ocean. Both situations are about water – but they are not the same thing. Drinking a glass of water will not make you drown. Nor does ketosis result in ketoacidosis.

If you have a functioning pancreas that can produce insulin – i.e. you don’t have type 1 diabetes – it would be extremely hard or, most likely, impossible to get ketoacidosis even if you tried. That’s because high ketone levels result in release of insulin, that shuts down further ketone production. In other words, the body has a safety net that normally makes it impossible for healthy people to get ketoacidosis.

More details and graphs here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis#more-364070

Welcome
Also check out the diabetes forum here for more basic information. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
And this simple summary how to Reverse Diabetes. https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 09:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 250/234/130 Female 58
BF:
Progress:

Thank you, it seems as soon as I think I've got a grip on it all, I find there is so much more to still learn