Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 17:19
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Mayonado

I just coined a word tonight! I've read many a recipe for avocado mayonnaise over the years, but never whipped one up. Well, I did so today for some turkey shawarma wraps I was making for lunch. But I decided to whip the spice and some yellow onion right up into the mix. MAN! Was that stuff ever like eating pure gold! I was divine on those turkey wraps. Even better on the meat patties I made with chopped bacon and green onion in them. But the biggest surprise of all was spooning it over the boring steamed frozen spinach I had leftover and heated up tonight. WOW! was it ever good on that spinach! I'll be making a casserole of that stuff REAL soon! Why did I wait so long to try this stuff? And the shawarma spice was delicious added right into it! If you don't have shawarma spice, there is a recipe for making it from scratch on my site.

I’ve read recipes for mayonnaise with avocado added to it before but have never taken the plunge and tried it before today. When I made my turkey shawarma wraps for lunch today, I decided to blend the shawarma spice, slices of avocado I was planning to put into the pita pockets, and the onion into a smooth paste with some of my fresh batch of homemade mayo. Mmmmm. It was quite delicious on the turkey wraps!! It was getting praise when I served it again on the ground beef patties I made for supper tonight. It is good on cucumber slices or with cherry tomatoes. But the biggest surprise of all was that it was super, DUPER good spooned over some steamed frozen spinach I had leftover and was serving with my dinner meat patties. That was the best thing of all with this mayonado! It tasted like the very best creamed spinach I’ve ever eaten, bar none! I spooned 1 T. over about 1 c. of the spinach and man, oh, man, was that ever good! I had actually finished eating but decided on a whip to try it on that spinach and boy, I just kept on eating it and eating it, the flavors were so good together! The shawarma spice really added something special! This recipe is Atkins Induction friendly.

INGREDIENTS:

1 small avocado, peeled and pitted
6 T. homemade mayonnaise (I use 1 whole egg to 1 c. oil)
1 tsp. Shawarma spice
1 oz. yellow or white onion
Dash salt
few drops lemon or lime juice to prevent discoloring of the avocado

DIRECTIONS: Peel and seed the avocado. Place the flesh into a blender or processor. Pulse until it it smooth. Serve any of the above mentioned ways or get creative and think of new applications for this delightful condiment!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about 10 T. Each tablespoon contains:

88.9 calories
9.2 g fat
1.87 g carbs, 1.24 g fiber, .63 NET CARBS
.59 g protein
19 mg sodium
87 mg potassium
16% RDA Vitamin B12, 10% E, 10% iron, 15% riboflavin, 17% selenium and 69% phosphorous
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 19:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Avocado mayonnaise is also wonderful made with avocado oil.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 07:49
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I bet it would be. But that stuff is so hard to find, and so expensive when you do find it.