Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Split: Vegan virtues - Letter to the editor from the 2/3 edition, St. Louis Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloethe
So far so good and I am losing weight.

Malnutrition will do that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 01:21

Plan: vegan low carb
Stats: 155/145/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I am exceeding all my nutritonal needs. I am not suffering from malnutrition. I think you Quinadal are excessively pessimistic and ill informed about veganism.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloethe
I am exceeding all my nutritonal needs. I am not suffering from malnutrition. I think you Quinadal are excessively pessimistic and ill informed about veganism.

No, I face facts. Veganism is an unantural and unhealthy diet for humans. We NEED to eat cholesterol and we NEED B12 from animal sources, not vegan analog sources. I'm pesimistic about eating a diet that will cause malnutrition and birth defects.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 14:13
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Why do you care about what she eats?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 16:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoanth
Why do you care about what she eats?

Because she's posting that it's a healthy way to eat and somebody might actually believe her and hurt themselves.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 17:38
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
We can eat the vegans. All that grain makes them nice and fatty.

It's statements like this that make the real information contained in some of your posts get missed by people put off by the unpleasant, militant tone of many of your posts.

You seem to get such great pleasure out of lobbing nasties, that I just don't see the concern for people incapable of choosing for themselves shining though....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 17:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Sorry, Paleoanth, you provided a poor justification for veganism. The fact that some things may be unnatural doesn't justify something else's being unnatural. This is the fallacy of the undistributed middle.

The problem is that traditional vegan rhetoric does claim that veganism is natural and superior and makes a lot of pseudoscientific claims to back up that contention, both in the area of paleoanthropology and biochemestry, all of which are wrong. You yourself pointed out the paleoanthropological fallacy by referring to the expensive tissue hypothesis.

No one cares what Aloethe eats, and no one is objecting to veganism, as long as we understand that veganism is a quasi-religion that is primarily concerned with personal and spiritual purity based on a highly particularistic concept of purity. As such, it has nothing to do with science or health. Veganism has the same relationship to science as creationism does to evolution.

However, another component of vegan rhetoric is the insufferable moral superiority directed at anyone who doesn't share their view of purity, as evinced by the PETA and PCRM crowd, and which Aloethe has shown in her responses to this board. The people on this board are fed up with vegan moral superiority and can be excused if they overreact to specious vegan arguments.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 18:05
Fully Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
The people on this board are fed up with vegan moral superiority and can be excused if they overreact to specious vegan arguments.

I must have missed the memo. I like a good discussion.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 18:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
It's statements like this that make the real information contained in some of your posts get missed by people put off by the unpleasant, militant tone of many of your posts.

You seem to get such great pleasure out of lobbing nasties, that I just don't see the concern for people incapable of choosing for themselves shining though....

And you seem to get great pleasure showing that you have no sense of humor or understanding of sarcasm.
I have no respect for vegans, since they seem to think they are better than meat eaters.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 19:02
Fully Caffeinated

I just think a constant stream of sarcasm and potshots dilutes your argument. I'm following the thread with interest, and learning a lot. It's amazing the amount a person can learn from the ones who don't feel the need to throw insults to make a point. I guess you're as free to say hateful things about vegans as they are to look down on you for eating meat... even though not ALL vegans do.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 20:03
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

Funny the only people in this forum I have found to be antagonistic and intolerant (regarding this particular debate) are the meat eaters. Isn't that a curious thing? Perhaps when one eats a lot of flesh one just naturally rises to a level of surliness and hostility. I have yet to see a vegan post and tell me how awful I am for eating all their tasty animal friends (and yes, they are tasty).

Vegetarianism is not dangerous. It is a dietetic choice based on a variety of personal, well thought out reasons.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 09:24
Slothy Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
Sorry, Paleoanth, you provided a poor justification for veganism. The fact that some things may be unnatural doesn't justify something else's being unnatural. This is the fallacy of the undistributed middle.

The problem is that traditional vegan rhetoric does claim that veganism is natural and superior and makes a lot of pseudoscientific claims to back up that contention, both in the area of paleoanthropology and biochemestry, all of which are wrong. You yourself pointed out the paleoanthropological fallacy by referring to the expensive tissue hypothesis.

No one cares what Aloethe eats, and no one is objecting to veganism, as long as we understand that veganism is a quasi-religion that is primarily concerned with personal and spiritual purity based on a highly particularistic concept of purity. As such, it has nothing to do with science or health. Veganism has the same relationship to science as creationism does to evolution.

However, another component of vegan rhetoric is the insufferable moral superiority directed at anyone who doesn't share their view of purity, as evinced by the PETA and PCRM crowd, and which Aloethe has shown in her responses to this board. The people on this board are fed up with vegan moral superiority and can be excused if they overreact to specious vegan arguments.

Just to note, I did respond to this, but it is on the original thread. Post:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...00&postcount=78
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 09:33
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%
Default Don't do it, Quinadal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
We can eat the vegans. All that grain makes them nice and fatty.

Unfortunately, the grain-feeding creates an unacceptable fatty acid profile. Not healthy at all.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 11:46
Slothy Superhero

Oh dear heavens. I give up. You win. Cannibalism is pretty much a Godwin's Law type thing for me.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 21:31

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

The exact well from which this thread sprang elludes me, and i don't really want to know anyways....i didn't know the "war zone" was the area that made attacking people's diets on a personal level okay. And to the original poster, sarcasm very often DOESN'T come across internet lines so well. your posts come off as simply mean.
i've known some pretty nice and also healthy vegans in my time. I was under the impression that this is a lowcarb support website; not one in which it is okay to totally bash people's choice of lowcarb diet with a personal attack.