Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 03:05

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I had two points in mind when I wrote that potatoes cannot be eaten raw.
One was the danger that they can be toxic if green as stated by Lisa N, the other is that the starch (which I presume is the reason people eat them) is not available if it is still contained within the cell membrane.

I used to eat raw chips (french fries) when I was a child (to my mother's horror) and they didn't harm me either.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

I knew folks who were addicted to raw pasta and cookie dough, and are still alive. IMO, raw potatoes and grains are rather not palatable, however, rolled oats soaked overnight, can be make into a tasty breakfast. My DD friend eats all hot cereals half cooked to minimize carb absorbtion, may be eating raw potatoes works the same way.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher

From speaking to a vegan friend (yes, I have one) I understand the only real source of B12 available to vegans is yeast extract. (English products like marmite) maybe you should look into this.
My vegan co-worker says that the only way to get B12 for her is via injections, this is what she does. She also takes ...27 pills and caps in supplements daily to make up for lost nutrients.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 11:44

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%

When I was a little girl, whenever my mother peeled potatoes, she and I always ate a little bit of raw potato with a little salt and we never got sick. (I also used to lick the beaters when she made cake batter and never got sick then, either. But I don't do that now, both because I no longer eat cake, but also because of the salmonella concerns about raw eggs.) Eating raw potato is very similar in taste to eating the broccoli or cauliflower stem (you have to pare away the woddy, fibrous outside to get to the "heart" of the stem).

Anyway, hearing about raw potatoes made me think of my late mother and how I miss her. Sorry to carry on so...

Michelle
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: N/A
Stats: // Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Raw potatoes

It's just that tremendous insights into healthy diets can be gleaned from thinking about these sorts of things. Tomatoes and potatoes are part of the same family and lycopene is released from the tomato when cooked. Other foods are more nutritious when in their raw state.