Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 04:47

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I don't know if Satiev1 is coming back, but I too would like to see what he eats. I haven't been in highschool in a while, but from what I do remember of the wrestlers eating and exercise habits I am not interested. They were always "cutting weight" really rapidly for a match- to wrestle in a lower weight class- and doing things like wearing those outfits that are like Saran Wrap to lose extra water when they worked out, then the week after the match they would eat anything that wasn't nailed down. My boyfriends father wrestled in highschool and was given a college scholarship for it as well, he remembers a three day period before a match where he did nothing but suck on the pieces of one orange! No thanks! My other friends who wrestled said they would dream of food during the season, I don't have to work out in Saran Wrap or dream of food while LCing and thats fine by me.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
You want 60,000+ members to tell you their goals one by one?

It's easier to tell us your goals and how you plan to acheive them. So far, at 140 lbs, you are severly under-weight for a young, healthy male. Calorie-counting can get very obsessive, and lead to eating disorders. It's not how low you can get your weight, but how healthy you are.

Wa'il

That's what I was thinking...

He has an eating disorder.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 09:08

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Satiev1 was active on this forum for one day for a total of three hours. Not a long term commitment by any means.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: // Male 5.10
BF:
Progress: 24%

I think that its not the calorioes that are the problem, its just the fact that people eat when they are not hungry...
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 07:46
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiev1
Ellis has no diet or plan he says losing weight has to do with burning more calories and eating less. It's very simple I know. Still so many people who follow atkins are overweight. Yes they're losing weight but are they lean? .

1) Why would I want to eat less when I can eat more and still lose and be healthy?

2) Yes, we ARE lean...I dare you to look at my pics and tell me I'm not. I've actually lost since my last pics.

3) The Atkins WOL promotes good health first...the weight loss is a perk

That's all I have to say about that!!!
Kryssi
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 08:00

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Hi! For starts anyone can pick sentences out of books and twist them to their way of thinking. Its been done with the bible! So, when you take apart the Atkins books and sentences you can satisfy your mind with what you make of the sentences.
Read the whole book, and get the whole picture! Calories do have to be watched. I agree with that. But, I also agree that this way of eating is easier because the calories do not have to be watched like in a low fat diet, or some of the other ones out there.
It is all in how you follow the plan. If you are not losing then count the calories! The program Fitday makes this easy, and if you don't what to count the calories you are still seeing them in the daily log. So, if you stall common since is to lower the calories.
I don't know anything about this Gregory Elli's Diet, but I tend to believe the Atkins plan is much easier to follow, and much more healthier.
YOU HAVE TO HAVE CARBS IN YOUR DIET! We build them back into our plan as time goes on! We do not continue to eat high fat, high protein forever.
And not eating any carbs is not healthy for you, so if this Gregory Elli's diet is based on eating no carbs, as you say you don't, stay away from it! It is unhealthy!
I, like most have stalled. This happens with any weight loss program. So, I count my calories, keep them at a decent amount daily, and some weight is now dropping.
So, bottom line. There really is no argument here, because anyone and everyone is going to end up having to control their calories. It just depends on the individual and how they lose. But, Atkins plan is a good healthy plan to follow.
Good Luck to you!
Brenda

Also eating when you are not hungry can be good and bad. On the Atkins plan you are not to go 6 hours a day without eating (hungry or not). You defeat the plan if you do not follow it right. Eating 3 meals a day, or 4 or 5 small meals a day will almost guarentee you weight lose. This is weather you are hungry or not. But, you need to eat on the plan, the way the plan is written out for you to.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 14:36
Registered Member

Stats: 194/180/125 Female 5feet 4inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Amen to that. If I get a hold of that young man I'd probably spank him . I am fed up of people who read without comprehending . And tell him to buy a newer version of the book or go to the website, a hoard of information is there. I do not want to have 5% body fat I want to be healthy and if I am 120, 130 or 140 lbs and healthy fine by me.

I am also sick and tired of people calling Dr. A, a fat old man, he wasn't a fat old man if they pull there head from wherever dark hole they have it stuck up in then they would see that. He was over 70 for god's sake and he was healthy and when I reach 70 yrs if I get there I DO NOT want to be lean, I want to slim and healthy.

I just started Atkins 2 weeks, 2 days ago and I'm down 13 lbs the last time I weighed, when I started I was 34 lbs heavier than my Boy friend today I'm 18 lbs granted that he gained 3 lbs. What I'm saying is I hardly can reach 20 g per day and I don't eat as much calories, why? because I'm never really hungry and I don't eat unnecessarily any more and I don't pig out on the unhealthy foods anymore either so I'd appreciate if you leave me, Dr. A., and the rest of us fellow low carbers alone. You are wasting our time, time we could be using to do something productive, and another thing do you think that so many of us would be here if we weren't losing wieght or if we weren't happy about this WOL? I would love to hear your reply
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 16:51
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabByFifty
YOU HAVE TO HAVE CARBS IN YOUR DIET!

Actually, I don't think Atkins ever said this. The foundational pricipal of any true low carb diet is that dietary carbohydrate is NOT essential. Sure, vegetables have substances in them that may, and I emphasize MAY, be beneficial to health. There have been entire Inuit tribes who probably never consumed more than 10 grams of carbohydrate a day in their lives (some had cultural taboos against eating plant matter of any kind) and were reportedly in good health, both physical and mental.

I certainly know that many low carb authors caution against deep ketosis for long periods of time, but I don't think Atkins did. Any who have probably had no science to back up their warnings.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 09:55

You are going to get carbs in the things that you eat. I don't care how strict you are about trying not to. You would have to live on total fat if not!
Atkins modifies the intake of carbs, and if you read the book, Dr. Atkins does have you building carbs back into your plan. This is what is done through the phases of the plan!! Which in that since is saying that you do have to have a certain amount of carbs in your life to balance your choices, and stay healthy !
So, where in the books do you read that carbs are not essential to the plan, and a healthy way of eating?!!!! I have never read that!
There are good carbs and bad carbs, but you are always going to get carbs. I don't know how you can avoid them, other than eating meats the rest of your life!. I for one am not going to do that!!
Atkins controls carbs, Aktins does not eliminate them.
Good Luck to You!
Brenda
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 10:13

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

Amen, it is carb restriction, not carb elimination. When I was doing this WOL last year, I lost weight, my blood sugar was under control, I had more energy and I wasn't nearly as hungry (grazing mode). I fell off the wagon, started grazing again, and here I am back up to almost my start weight.

I am restarting, full well knowing what I need to do for my health, but everyone needs to find the plan that works best for them. We are all different and lead different lifestyes. What I could get away with at 18, I can no longer get away with at 44.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 10:20

Marge you are exactly right. We all have different life styles and Atkins is very healthy! I wish you luck and hope that in no time you feel better coming back to this way of eating!
Good Luck to you!
Brenda

Boy, you are not kidding about what we could get away with at 18 that we can't even try to get away with now!!
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 20:24
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabByFifty
You are going to get carbs in the things that you eat. I don't care how strict you are about trying not to. You would have to live on total fat if not!
Atkins modifies the intake of carbs, and if you read the book, Dr. Atkins does have you building carbs back into your plan. This is what is done through the phases of the plan!! Which in that since is saying that you do have to have a certain amount of carbs in your life to balance your choices, and stay healthy !
So, where in the books do you read that carbs are not essential to the plan, and a healthy way of eating?!!!! I have never read that!
There are good carbs and bad carbs, but you are always going to get carbs. I don't know how you can avoid them, other than eating meats the rest of your life!. I for one am not going to do that!!
Atkins controls carbs, Aktins does not eliminate them.
Good Luck to You!
Brenda

I never said I was trying not to eat any carbs, nor did I say that Atkins does not recommend consuming carbs. I simply said that dietary carbs themselves are not essential. This has been stated by Atkins and the Drs. Eades, though I regret this is the only quote I can find. On page 8 of my copy of Protein Power, it says "The actual amount of carbohydrate required for human health is zero."

Fruits and vegetables provide vitamins and minerals that are easiest for most people to get from plant foods. I am not denying that, and of course a diet totally without them would be very boring! I was just rebutting your statement that "YOU HAVE TO HAVE CARBS IN YOUR DIET!" This isn't true because your body makes whatever sugar it requires in the absence of dietary carbohydrate. If not, no one would survive a 24 hour fast before surgery.

What I am saying is that the nutrients packaged WITH the "good" carbs are often helpful but the carbs themselves are nonessential.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 13:30

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default ??

Quote:
YOU HAVE TO HAVE CARBS IN YOUR DIET!

Think about my next question carefully.
WHY???

Not one of us here disagree that you need good leafy green veggies ( which are "carbs" by definition but have so low a count as to be negligible), or that cruciferous vegetable constitute a nutritional miracle and we should eat them, ect.
Many of us are able to handle carbs to degree that VERY moderate uses of WHOLE grains and fruits are beneficial.
But YOU think that they are Something you "have to have". Science is beginning to disagree with this assumption. I know your fed this idea by the MSN of the day, but ask yourself.. who did they "test" the pyramid with its grotesquely over- dependence on carbohydrates? Carbs don't heal your body or provide building blocks. They just do not. Eskimoes on their traditional diet which is greatly lacking on these carbs you find so necessary, or even the ones we agree have virtues ( the veggies), but they are MORE than just healthy. They are phenomenally healthy. And with any group that is the same, very low carbs, you find the same thing.
So why the pyramid. Well don't get me wrong, I love our hard working farmers, but if you scratch enough, much about what we hear about food and nurtrition in the news comes from their big bucks. You might want to think about that, before you buy into " you have to have carbs" thinking.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 14:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
I never said I was trying not to eat any carbs, nor did I say that Atkins does not recommend consuming carbs. I simply said that dietary carbs themselves are not essential. This has been stated by Atkins and the Drs. Eades, though I regret this is the only quote I can find. On page 8 of my copy of Protein Power, it says "The actual amount of carbohydrate required for human health is zero."

Fruits and vegetables provide vitamins and minerals that are easiest for most people to get from plant foods. I am not denying that, and of course a diet totally without them would be very boring! I was just rebutting your statement that "YOU HAVE TO HAVE CARBS IN YOUR DIET!" This isn't true because your body makes whatever sugar it requires in the absence of dietary carbohydrate. If not, no one would survive a 24 hour fast before surgery.

What I am saying is that the nutrients packaged WITH the "good" carbs are often helpful but the carbs themselves are nonessential.

I agree with Mio. There are essential amino acids, there are essential fatty acids and there are essential vitamins and minerals but there is no such thing as an 'essential carb'. These things are called essential because our bodies are unable to manufacture them for themselves and they must have them to function properly. Glucose (which is what carbs are when digested) is not one of those. When lacking dietary glucose (carbohydrate), the body is quite capable of turning protein into glucose for those cells that cannot function without it (and they are very few). The rest function quite well on ketone bodies and fatty acids as fuel and can do so indefinitely.
OTOH, fruits and vegetables provide us with vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals as well as variety and for the vast majority of us there is no practical reason to eliminate them from our daily menus completely and many good reasons we shouldn't. Just because you can function just fine without them it doesn't necessarily follow that you should.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, Apr-09-05 at 14:59.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 14:47

Stats: 287/140/150 Female 5'1"
BF:too much
Progress: 107%
Talking You have it allll together Poofie

Long term health your highest priority...Poofie that is sooo good!!!! wow...and the John Wayne quote...one of my all time faves. They dont make men like him anymore do they???? Hope there is one waiting for you.
I did not know that about Eskimos...very interesting...hmmm. I have American Indian in me...Cherokee...my Grandfather was 1/2 and raised on a reservation. He lived to almost 100 and he smoked and drank some...but very wiry and healthy. Had his own teeth and hair...and mind. Never overweight...
He probably grew up on wild venison and birds and buffalo?....and beans...guessing and homemade corn tortillas. Not many salads around the reservation...lol.
I think Am Indians in general have an intolerance to refined carbs...sugar and alcohol...I have read studies on that. So maybe genetic w me too.
You are right in that this is the #1 money maker in this country that we Need Carbs and can't live w/o them. Pish Posh
Anything from Soda mega companies...to all the tons of foods...aisle by aisle...sugar loaded...carbs by the ton...cereals...breads...snacky food...it is so huge. They don't care about our health....
A "simple" diet of veggies...meats....is just unbelievable to most. Cant be good for you. Oh, and then meat became the boogie food...scary stuff. Beef gives you heart attacks...and hardened arteries. How about all those farmers eating their good beef and pork for years?
Living to ripe old age and still working in the garden.? Like our grandfolks. Living on canned veggies and fresh....and meat???? Little good dirt didnt hurt either. I am from Ia originally can you tell...yea Iowa Beef!!!! yummm...T BONES
Refined sugar and carbs are killing me and will if I keep on this Carb path...thank God He is showing me a different path...
I have been fooled and hoodwinked all these yrs by my huge taste for sweet and also all these companies....no food value but a good looking box. I have become a carbaholic. I see that.
I need to convince my family now...that this WOE is for real...I guess I will do that day by day...and losing...this 150# Person I carry with me...ouch!!!
No wonder I hurt!!! No wonder I have diabetes....even w/o a family history.
Thanks for making me think...for sharing...wow...you have 5 kids? I have 2 grown kids...does hubby count 30+ YRS? Raised him from a PUP!!!! lol and 5 cats...2 Labs
You go girl!!!!! Don't look back....Sugarbgood oh I adore music...too