Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 06:26

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/227/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Considering running

I would like to start running...not marathons or anything...just running a mile or so for exercise...I'm starting at ground zero...I've tried in the past and given up....Any advice on how to start running and be successful? I'm considering the couch potato to 5k plan...Also should I begin on a treadmill?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 07:15

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I started running by getting a book called the complete book of running for women. It had a beginners training schedule and all kinds of really good tips.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 07:58

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

I did the Couch to 5K program and even at my size I found it very easy. I've run multiple 5K's since completing the program. I need to get back into running myself!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 08:17

BF:

Thanks, ladies! Cori, did you run on a treadmill or "real" running?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 08:32

BF:

I hate treadmills. They make me dizzy. That said, I live in Florida, so I can kind of run all year long. I run early in the morning or after sundown to avoid the heat in the summer. And I only do races in the cooler months.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 08:51

BF:

Same here about the treadmills...I can walk on it with no problems, but running makes me sooo dizzy! Did you use a stopwatch?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 09:01

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 213/171.6/150 Male 70 (inches)
BF:31%/24%/22%
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
I started running by getting a book called the complete book of running for women. It had a beginners training schedule and all kinds of really good tips.

This is very good advice!

/runner of countless 5k & 10k's and more than a few marathons
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 10:05

BF:

There are a ton of apps and podcasts that will do the timing for you. I used one of these as well - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/store/a...-run-timer.html - I preferred it to using my iPhone. Sometimes when I run I just like it to be quiet.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 10:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cori
There are a ton of apps and podcasts that will do the timing for you. I used one of these as well - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/store/a...-run-timer.html - I preferred it to using my iPhone. Sometimes when I run I just like it to be quiet.

That is a great idea!!! Thanks for the link!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 13:23

Plan: DANDR induction
Stats: 240/240/140 Female 62 inches
BF:

hi guys, this thread caught my eye because i too would like to start running but i'm worried because of my weight and any damage it might cause...not to mention i can't seem to find a sports bra with strong enough girders to hold the girls in place lol...it sounds stupid but i even thought about buying an ace bandage to strap them down! lol...also this couch to 5k program, is it an american thing? i'm wondering if its something thats available in the UK?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 13:56

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picky1985
hi guys, this thread caught my eye because i too would like to start running but i'm worried because of my weight and any damage it might cause...not to mention i can't seem to find a sports bra with strong enough girders to hold the girls in place lol...it sounds stupid but i even thought about buying an ace bandage to strap them down! lol...also this couch to 5k program, is it an american thing? i'm wondering if its something thats available in the UK?

I used to work at curves, and I know that's not like hardcore anything, but, we had a lot of larger women come in and they would often remark to me that theydidn't have any sports bras and needed to buy some. I always told them not to bother, and just to use a regular bra, because they support us larger...um...more amply supplied ladies better anyway. I think sports bras are pretty much just a way to get you to spend more money. Unless you're gonna run in just the bra, you don't need special extra bras you're only gonna use while exercising. I always ran in regular bras.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 06:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picky1985

Try googling "Couch Potato to 5k" or they have a facebook page, too. I kept hearing about it so that's how I found it. They give a detailed schedule of how to get into running. I keep looking at it but haven't actually done it yet...I keep blaming it on the heat cause it's been like 100 degrees here at the beach for a month now...ugggg
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-12, 03:07

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i haven't tried Couch to 5k, but i did something similar. i did run/walk intervals gradually running more than i was walking and gradually going from one mile to three. now, i run even farther, but i want to run a half marathon next year.

for someone who wants to run for exercise, i'd go by time more than distance. if you work your way up to running for at least 30 minutes, you'll see the most benefits in fitness. go gradual with your progress and don't get discouraged. it takes time to be able to run a mile if you haven't before.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 14:35

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Couch to 5k is a great program, many people have had success with it. Personally, I used a GYMBOSS interval timer (looks like an old school "beeper") ... but there are many interval apps out there

I haven't tried it, but there is a free app called "5K Runner: 0 to 5K" that is supposed to be pretty good.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

The Couch to 5k programme can be downloaded as an app of you have a smartphone.
Otherwise you can Google it as has been mentioned.
I'm a regular runner, nothing hardcore, 5miles is my top mileage if I feel in the mood as I get bored by about 3 miles usually as I run alone due to lack of running buddies.
I did initially run when I was around 18st and ended up with a damaged knee, it still troubles me now.
I have bought myself a Nike Victory sports bra which pulls on over the top like a crop top and I think it is excellent. If I ran in a normal bra it actually hurt. I am a DD.
It would also be a good idea to get yourself sorted with some semi decent trainers if you decide you like it, this helps protect your knees and other joints from stress.
If you go into a running shop, most will check your gait out for free with no obligation to buy, you can then take this information to a Sports Direct or similar where the trainers are labelled as to which foot type they suit and try a few pairs on.
I spend £50 max on trainers and they are so much better than going in your normal sobbing around ones.
Good luck.