Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 17:08

Plan: SBD
Stats: 180.8/144/132 Female 5.6'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hello and welcome!

I see where you're coming from. I just happen to not agree with you and it is not what I tell to newbies.
FYI- your choice in cheese, may have less fat, but cheeses like feta and most others are very high in salt. It can hinder seeing weight loss.

When you say non skim milk, do you mean non fat skimmed?

Try to keep your cheese intake to 2-3 ozs per day maximum.
In my experience, its wise to count your cheese in with your 2 cup dairy daily allowance.

The words that I put in bold...if you can't "help" taking/eating them, thats more reason to keep them to a minimum......Not reduce the fat and carb so that you think you can eat more of it.

Portion control on most foods is key to success on the SBD. The only food that is unlimited are phase I veggies.

yes i meant non fat milk. i see your point and i sincerely thank you for warning me. BUT I don't live in USA. I live at a Mediterenean-Middle East country. The cheese types here are very different than the ones in USA. Even the regular cheese types have much lower fat and salt than the ones in USA. For example ricotta is imported to here and sold rarely at some fancy super markets. Instead of that we have a cheese that looks alike but has 1.5% fat and no salt in it. But it has a lot of casein in it which helps to develop muscles. The light feta cheese I eat is also different from the regular Greek feta. It has 2% fat and very very lowered sodium and lots of calcium in it. Moreover I haven't been eating any salt with my meals for the last 6 weeks. So I must be balancing it if it has any salt. But I still never eat dairy too much. Just a little bit more than the daily allowance sometimes because it stabilizes my insuline very quickly. People here also don't eat oatmeal or cereal at breakfast. We have them sold at every supermarket but they are not prefered. We eat eggs(boiled), cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper with bread. So I just quitted bread to harmonyze with SBD. I also don't eat many allowed meat types like pork, bacon, scallops etc because they are not everyday food in here. I usually eat chicken or turkey breast, beef, fresh fish cooked without any oil and tons of vegetable like green beans, okra,zucchini etc. veggies cooked with olive oil are our national dishes so all i need to do is to use 1 spoon of olive oil when i cook them. I also don't use any salad sauce or light mayo, just balsamic vinegar for seasoning. also no non fat cream, no coconut milk, no mozarella, no light beverages etc.As a sum my version of SBD is very simple and mostly combined of natural foods not the processed ones but has much less fat,sodium,and carbohydrate than yours and more fibers. I also walk 2kms everyday instead of taking the subway and exercise on elliptic bike once a week. When I first read the book, and browsed on internet for recipes i realized it was truly designed for USA's eating habits but it could be convertible to my world. It's my 7th week now. I have hipothyroid for the last 2 years. But even though hypothyroid I lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks and I'm eager to see this week's weight because I never achieved to loose this much weight in this amount of time before.So I do not advice anyone to do anything I do, but my way of SBD works quite well too.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 20:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer75
yes i meant non fat milk. i see your point and i sincerely thank you for warning me. BUT I don't live in USA. I live at a Mediterenean-Middle East country. The cheese types here are very different than the ones in USA. Even the regular cheese types have much lower fat and salt than the ones in USA. For example ricotta is imported to here and sold rarely at some fancy super markets. Instead of that we have a cheese that looks alike but has 1.5% fat and no salt in it. But it has a lot of casein in it which helps to develop muscles. The light feta cheese I eat is also different from the regular Greek feta. It has 2% fat and very very lowered sodium and lots of calcium in it. Moreover I haven't been eating any salt with my meals for the last 6 weeks. So I must be balancing it if it has any salt. But I still never eat dairy too much. Just a little bit more than the daily allowance sometimes because it stabilizes my insuline very quickly. People here also don't eat oatmeal or cereal at breakfast. We have them sold at every supermarket but they are not prefered. We eat eggs(boiled), cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper with bread. So I just quitted bread to harmonyze with SBD. I also don't eat many allowed meat types like pork, bacon, scallops etc because they are not everyday food in here. I usually eat chicken or turkey breast, beef, fresh fish cooked without any oil and tons of vegetable like green beans, okra,zucchini etc. veggies cooked with olive oil are our national dishes so all i need to do is to use 1 spoon of olive oil when i cook them. I also don't use any salad sauce or light mayo, just balsamic vinegar for seasoning. also no non fat cream, no coconut milk, no mozarella, no light beverages etc.As a sum my version of SBD is very simple and mostly combined of natural foods not the processed ones but has much less fat,sodium,and carbohydrate than yours and more fibers. I also walk 2kms everyday instead of taking the subway and exercise on elliptic bike once a week. When I first read the book, and browsed on internet for recipes i realized it was truly designed for USA's eating habits but it could be convertible to my world. It's my 7th week now. I have hipothyroid for the last 2 years. But even though hypothyroid I lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks and I'm eager to see this week's weight because I never achieved to loose this much weight in this amount of time before.So I do not advice anyone to do anything I do, but my way of SBD works quite well too.

Thank you for sharing all that with us. Yes, I agree that the SBD can be used in any part of the world. I wish you continued success. Is it politically correct to ask you which country you are in?

Congrats on your first 15 lbs!!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 20:17
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:

Thank you for sharing all that with us. Yes, I agree that the SBD can be used in any part of the world. I wish you continued success.
Is it politically correct to ask you which country you are in?

#19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-10, 05:03

Plan: SBD
Stats: 180.8/144/132 Female 5.6'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Thank you for sharing all that with us. Yes, I agree that the SBD can be used in any part of the world. I wish you continued success.
Is it politically correct to ask you which country you are in?

No, that's no problem. I live in Istanbul, Turkey. I know it sounds weird for me to be a member of this website but SBD is not very well known here. We are still on the Atkins era On my first week I needed some support for courage to carry on SBD. I needed to see it was working and people were really loosing weight. And this was the fırst forum link when I googled SDB. I must say "you" were a big motivation for me when I saw how much weight you lost on your charts.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-10, 06:46
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
No, that's no problem. I live in Istanbul, Turkey. I know it sounds weird for me to be a member of this website but SBD is not very well known here. We are still on the Atkins era On my first week I needed some support for courage to carry on SBD. I needed to see it was working and people were really loosing weight. And this was the fırst forum link when I googled SDB. I must say "you" were a big motivation for me when I saw how much weight you lost on your charts.

I see! I'm glad that you found us and no, its not weird at all. We have people from many countries in your part of the world. Thats what is so wonderful about the WWW!!

I'm glad that my story is motivating for you!