Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Race 100 Miles as a LCer? YES!!!!!!

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 13:32

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Once again, Maureen .... YOU ROCK!!

Thanks for a detailed account of the race!

Again, congratulations! You are indeed an inspiration!!

My best, Janice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 13:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

You are absolutely incredible!! What an achievement!!

I am in awe!! If you can go 100 miles you can do anything!

Keep up the great work!!

KC
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 13:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Well done, Maureen!

I'm moving this to our Success Stories.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 15:08

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow! I'm honored and grateful to you and this forum for allowing people like me to succeed with a smile on my face! Thx, Maureen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 15:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by mmoranmic
Wow! I'm honored and grateful to you and this forum for allowing people like me to succeed with a smile on my face! Thx, Maureen

No, you allowed yourself to succede. This forum is here for poeple to share and show-off the results of following this healthy lifestyle

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 15:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Wow - yours is the most amazing story I've heard in a while.

Congratulations on meeting such an enormous challenge. To say you are an inspiration, is an understatement.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 01:38

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I'm inspired! It sounds a brilliant event and well done!

If you can do that race on low carb then maybe I will be able to do my mountaineering on low carb eventually too. I'll stick with it - thanks for posting, it gives me hope.
Jay
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 14:48

BF:

Hi JayKay,
Just to confirm. I eat lots of carbs while I'm running/hiking, about 200 calories an hour's worth. The good news is that I don't have to gorge on them before and after! Life is good!
Take care,
Maureen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 03:25

hi, sorry to keep going on about this, but you seem to have got it sorted and I definitely haven't yet. Do you stick to low glycaemic carbs or is anything OK? Doesn't it mess up your insulin repsponse - I'm worried that I've finally stop wacking out far too much insulin and if I start with carbs again, i'll start with that again too. But like you, I'm finding I can't be hugely active on strict LC. Going to try to get the Schwarzbein book and have a read. Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks, Jay
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 12:53

BF:

Hi JayKay,
I don't mind sharing at all! I had trouble on Atkins as I couldn't really run at all (nothing longer that an hour or two) without feeling really weak. I read the outline of Schwarzbein and I liked her program that allows for an adjustment of carb intake based on your activity level. I hope you get a chance to read her book and maybe her program will work for you.
I eat about 70-90 grams each day on a regular day. On my long run days I eat the same although I use performance food while I'm out on the trail. These a high glycemic index foods such a Power Gel and GU. THese a packaged in a 1 oz foil container, have the consistancy of yogurt, and you eat it, then drink about a cup of water to help it digest. I take one to two packets each hour which equates to 200 calories an hour. If I eat something else than I adjust the gel intake. I also eat Zone bars, similar to a Power Bar except it has more fat! I found that I need the fat. I have learned (the hard way) that eating only carbs during a long event leads to stomach upset.
I also eat regular food like chicken noodle (hold the noodles) soup and I make a killer shake, I think the recipe is in the story. I guess the bottom line is the harder the exercise/effort the easier digestable food is necessay. The slower the pace the more regular type food can be eaten.
Upon completion of a long training run or race I immediately revert back to my Schwarzbein eating program! I think that is important. I don't want to go back to the days of the celebratory Mexican food feast! That just packs back on the pounds. I ran a 48 hour track run in Dec 2001 and through the rest/recovery process I gained 3 pounds!
JayKay, I don't know what type of mountaineering you do (climbing or hiking) but it is definitely a sport that requires the proper fuel. I do want to say that I have read posts that suggest that you can train your body to run on fat but I haven't been able to, nor do I want to try. I had a brief experiment (6 hour run wothout carbs, I bombed, ate some gels and made it back in!). I think I get into a combo where fat and fuel are burning. I have seen and talked to hikers (up in the Sierras) that eat very little for the effort they are putting out. I don't know how they do it! I also talked to guy last week who is fastpacking the John Muir Trail and he wants to do so on 1000 calories a day! I don't see how that is possible.
Again, I suggest that you read all of the info on this site and make your own decision for your own body and how it reacts. I have no trouble switching back from high carbs to low and I've never felt better. Good luck to you and feel free to pick my brain! I have a few cells left!
Maureen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 13:19

Thanks Maureen, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I will try to read Schwarzbein's book and experiment with carbs for exercise. I climb and hike, couldn't possibly do 6 hour runs, but do need to be able to keep going up for a few hours at a time. Like you, i'd read that you could make your body use fat, but mine never has, as there's always been plenty for it to use, and it bombs out without carbs. I really appreciate the time and advice from someone who is obviously making it work.
Back to the hills! Take care and thanks, Jay
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 15:39

Stats: 199/165/165
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great job Maureen! You truly are an inspiration! I'm training for my own endurance event (half Ironman triathlon in September). I've found if I plan out my higher carb meals and use the energy gels at the right time during training, I can still maintain a low carb lifestyle. It's a challenge, but well worth it.

Mark
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 15:44

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

WTG Maureen!

I couldn't imagine doing 100 miles. Wow what a race that must have been. Congrats on finishing it and doing so well
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 17:45

BF:

Hi Mark,
Congrats on reaching your goal. I like your sign-on name, I take it that MountainBikeMark. Yes, I agree the low carb way of life does work, I just bump up the intake as needed. I can't believe how many carbs I ate each day prior to low carbing. A good estimate would be about 250 a day.
Good luck on your training for the Ironman! I bet you're a sprinter! I know how you mountain bikers are! Crazier than us ultra-runners. Take Care, Maureen

P.S. I'm outta here for the weekend, a nice slow 50K south of Yosemite. Life is good!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 17:48

BF:

Hi AgonyCat,
Thanks for your kind words. One step at a time I can make it. Just like my weight loss, slow and steady. I'm here for the long haul baby!
Take Care,
Maureen