Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 240/175/190 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 130%
Default Hypothyroid with no known cause

7 years ago, I was diagnosed hypothyroid. A routine blood test showed TSH around 30. I had no real symptoms, except maybe my toes felt cold at times. They started me on Synthroid and played with dose for 2 years. I settled at .15mg once a day. My TSH has always been around 2. Last fall it was .55.

Since being diagnosed, I have lost about 50lbs. Will I have to be on Synthroid forever, or could I get off it? The doctors say it's forever, even though they don't know why I am hypothyroid.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 13:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They would need to do blood tests to determine the cause. It's most likely either due to Hashimoto's or iodine deficiency. If it is Hashimoto's then it can go into remission but if you've had it for seven years, I wouldn't count on it.

If it is due to iodine deficiency then taking iodine can make your thyroid function better.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 14:05

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Or it could be tertiery hypothyroidism. Meaning it's the 'pituitary's fault'.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 15:01
Registered Member

BF:

If my thyroid 'gets better' how will I know? Will my TSH levels be zero? Or do you quit taking Synthroid for a while and retest?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 07:39

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

TSH is actually a test that tells you what the pituitary might be doing. It can go up or down many times a day, as much as three whole points (eek!).

Doctor's usually do an initial TSH along WITH the actual thyroid hormone tests (T3, T4). Those just show what's 'in there'. If doc does a Free T4, Free T3 test panel, you get to see your usable levels (best).

You are taking a T4 hormone. Your own thyroid, if it could, would take T4 and a little of it would turn into the energy part of the thyroid hormone, T3. But, sadly, most of us with hypothyroidism, can't do that, so some doctors have T3 added synthetically (called Cytomel, T3 acts to give energy right away, and lasts about four to six hours, most take it a couple times 'split' a day).

Or, others...like me, take a natural porcine produce that contains ALL the same hormones our own thyroid makes (T1, T2, T4 AND T3). Brand names include Armour, Naturethroid, Thyroid.

That still needs a prescription and FT4, and FT3 testing as your doctor would titrate your dosage up. So, blood tests for FT's would be done about every four to six weeks at first, and raise dosage accordingly by the Doctor, and when you get to 'your dose' you'd be stabilized on that dosage.

T4 has a rather long 'half life' and you won't find it initially in a blood test while taking it for four weeks, most check at six, while T3 is available ..um, soon as you take it, and some docs tellyou not to take it before testing (?? if I'm paying for the test, I want to see how it affects me, I take it and test at the four to five hour mark, but my doc wants me to do it this way).

If you have a TPO test, it's Hashi's, or they can do other tests to determine tertiery (caused by the pituitary, many have this type), etc.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 11:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Most likely if your hypothyroid goes into remission you'll start feeling the symptoms of hyperthyroid (google if you wish to know them). Just imagine the exact opposite of how you feel when you weren't taking the replacement hormone...
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Did they test for antibodies to thyroid, free T3 and free T4, pituitary hormones, reverse T3? I was diagnosed with hypopituitary my TSH is a negative number, with the highest ever being 0.3. Have you been around any chemicals that affect thyroid like lithium perchorlate? Had excessive dental xrays, neck injury?

Thoughts:
You are very lucky for this disorder to have taken such a light toll on you. Taking a pill everyday isn't so bad.
Good job on the weight loss!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 14:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the replies, I will discuss with doctor this summer.

Some background: I was in the Air Force for 21 years, I stayed around 190lbs the whole time, just under my max allowed weight. My last year (2004) I got up to 210, chalking it up to retirement anticipation (no more weigh-ins!). In 2005 I was 220lbs and a routine VA visit diagnosed hypothyroid, high triglycerides, and high BP and started meds for those. In 2006 I was 240lbs and getting high glucose but normal A1C. This was my wakeup call. By 2009 I was back down to 210lbs. This past October 2010, I decided to get serious and started exercising like crazy and eating 'healthy' low fat. As of 1 Jan 2011 I was still at 210lbs despite 3 months of daily workouts and calorie restriction. Since 1 Jan I have eliminated all sugar, wheat, corn, and rice. I do HIIT 5 days and strength 2 days a week. I am down to 185 now. I started using FitDay this week and it showed me some improvement areas I can focus on while eating. My goal is to get off all the meds I'm taking. I think I'm there for BP, but will get my Triglycerides and thyroid checked in a few months.

Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-11, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

You've made great improvements in your health

Hope you're able to make all your goals!!!