Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 17:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Back from the doctor... :(

So, I went back to the doctor today to get my results. she didnt do a freaking t3 or t4. the tsh was 4.04. thats up from the 3.09 it was in 2004. she drew a bell diagram on a piece of paper and told me that i was normal. she doesnt like to treat people who arent above 8 on the tsh.

then she told me i have fibromyalgia. she prescribed a muscle relaxant.

she drew more blood for a t3 and t4, but...

screw this.

im going to a homeopathic/traditional md asap. i found her from the armour website. her own website says she treats fibromyalgia as well as deals with helping with weight loss and thyroid condition. i just need to figure out if i have to pay out of pocket for it or if i can get a referral.

Im so pissed. unfortunately i was too freaking tired in the doctors office to get upset then. i almost fell asleep waiting for her to come in and then i just wanted to get out of there.

freaking tsh of 4 and now i have fibromyalgia. apparently they are related?

need some encouragement.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 19:53

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetheana
she doesnt like to treat people who arent above 8 on the tsh.

I'd be curious to know what someone with an 8 would be/look/act like?? Bald, morbidly obese...

She won't treat your thyroid, but she's more than willing to give you a muscle relaxant! <Makes no sense>

I hope you can find a doctor who's willing to treat you. Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 23:11
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

That dr isn't going to be much use to you. But at least you'll get your T3 and T4 results to take to another doctor. There is a research place in my area that treats fibro with ....ta da thyroid medication! They've done a lot of research in that area you can read about it at www.drlowe.com I wouldn't give the fibro another thought until you get your thyroid treated.

I was reading the latest endocrinologist recommendations from the UK, and they were suggesting you start treatment at 2.5. I think that was on
www.thyroid.about.com Your FORMER DOCTOR is worthless and totally behind the times, just forget about it and move on, as a thyroid patient you'll find there are more bad doctors then bad men!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 07:03

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Crikey A ... What a useless doctor. Nawchem's got the link there to Dr Lowe ....
I can only encourage you to go see your naturopath and get some decent treatment. Thyroid is life threatening... Do they want you at death's door with an 8? What a ridiculous thing to say.

I can only say that I too had a struggle to get treated, but eventually I changed my doc and it happened for me. My TSH is around 2 and I'm on 100mcg of thyroxine and improving all the time.
This month alone, I notice I have strong nails for the first time in my life ... and I no longer have terrible aches after exercise... I felt improvement after 3 days of meds.

You too can get this in your life, and I absolutely hope you get a good doc who will help you.

Please keep us updated here. In the meantime, make sure you're taking a good multivit with 50mcg of selennium in it, to support your thyroid. Lots of Vitamin C will help you too.

Hang in there. We're all supporting you here.

Best

Annabel
x
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 10:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

An 8?!? Actually often times the TSH doesn't reflect how horribly you feel, you can be a 2 and feel terrible, or an 8 and not feel all that horrible.

If you want to get your own blood tests drawn to save an extra visit to the natural doctor you can go to healthcheckusa.com and order your own tests. Get the thyroid panel that includes the FREE t3 & FREE t4.

You might want to find a Top Thyroid Doctor from the list of them at Mary Sholomon's web site.

Hey! Rochester NY. That's where I went to college.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 15:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm currently a chem grad student at the U of R. It's a great school.

My hubby is currently making me an appt to go to the traditional/homeopathic person. I think I do have to pay out of pocket, but like the good hubby he is, he thinks we can afford it.

I will certainly keep everyone updated, but for the moment, the muscle relaxants the stupid doc gave me seems to be helping at least a minorly amount.

Thanks everyone
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 17:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I went to the U of R too, the Eastman School of Music.