Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 19:17

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 156/?/135 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress:
Default Low Carb Not Working Anymore!

Hi

I have been low-carbing for three years. I am 31 yrs old. When I started somersizing I lost 20 pounds in 7 weeks!! I was at my goal weight and healthy weight of 130. I stayed at this weight for 1.5 years....I ate alot, I cheated alot, and I hardly exercised.

Then I got pregnant...low carb. I still gained 40 pounds! I delivered a beautiful baby boy.
Well, six weeks after delivery I lost 25 pounds and only had 15 to go. Then I started GAINING weight. This whole time I have been on low carb. Eight months postpartum I found out I had hypothryoidism Not only couldn't I lose the baby weight...I have weight gain from the hypo. My THS was 43!!! I got on Synthroid .075 mg. It has been 5 months since I have been on Synthroid...I feel so much better. I feel back to normal except for the weight! I have 20 pounds to lose and CAN NOT lose it. Trust me...I know low carbing and the rules in and out. I am extremely strict with myself...and I exercise every day. I have lost some inches since I have been on Synthroid and through exercising but no weight loss. Pre-pregnancy clothes really tight...can't get my butt in them.
I am desperate! Low carbing does not work like it did. I just had bloodwork done and my levels are fine. TSH+ 1.53. How come I can not lose like I did the first time???? I am still young..I exercise..I eat more strictly that I did the first time. It has been 15 months since I had my baby and want another one. But this weight is bringing me down....I can't forsee having another one anytime soon...esp with this stupid thyroid problem! I see other new mothers looking skinny like I used to be and frankly I am envious that I can't look like that anymore...esp with all the work I am doing on my body!
Desperate and want advise please!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 11:18

Plan: ONE DAY AT A TIME:)!
Stats: 142.5/138.6/120.0 Female 5 feet and 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Airam, My TSH level was 1.93 and I was put on Armour Thyroid. My free T4 level was 0.8 borderline low. I lost weight on the Armour thyroid once I started walking, I was able to lose 15 pounds. But I'm not sure what to tell you because you said you felt great other than you are not able to lose weight. You might want to ask your doctor about Armour. That may help you to start losing. I've just started trying to lose weight again. Except my testosterone levels are high and I think that has maybe stalled it. I go to my endo. on Friday and hoping she will give me some answers.
I'm not sure if this helps but I just thought I would try.