Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-17, 16:13

Plan: Atkins, LCHF
Stats: 245/240/140 Female 61.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Low Carb = Low Energy?

Hi All,

I have done LC successfully in the past, lost about 50 pounds 10 years ago and gradually gained that back and much more. I have studied LCHF extensively, starting with Atkins and reading the more recent info about getting enough sodium and fat to keep energy levels up. I have tried LC many times since then, but tend to get low energy, become depressed, or get very ill with a virus. I have read a few studies indicating that VLC can decrease the immune system, but some studies show the opposite.

I understand and believe that low carb works and is better for health. It just seems I can't tolerate extreme low carb eating. I have 1/4 cup oats, no sweeteners or extras or a small apple and feel great as long as I have fat and protein at the same meal. Is this a reasonable approach?

Any suggestions or ideas to avoid getting sick or how to improve energy levels if I want to try induction/LCHF again?

Thanks!
-Tiger
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-17, 16:30
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Atkins should increase energy and endurance. I noticed that when windsurfing. Water was enough for me sailing all day, while the other sailors went back to shore for snacks and sandwiches. I ate in the evening after I got back, showered and put everything away.

Salt is one need, but I am finding out there are other minerals required such as zinc, magnesium, boron and vitamin D missing in our foods today. Fermented foods for healthy gut microbiome and organ meats like liver can be helpful too.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Mar-11-17 at 16:41.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-17, 17:50

BF:

Thanks for the input, Mike. Your experience is intriguing. I get so excited when I think about the freedom we have when carbs and cravings no longer rule our minds and bodies. Stable blood sugar is like being sane after years of having some horrible mental illness. I am LOVING that stable blood sugar and calm mindset.

I am taking a comprehensive set of supplements including those you mentioned, probiotics, and plain yogurt. I will look into organ meats. Also checking out your profile and posts now to investigate your tagline about grains and greens.

-Tiger
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-17, 17:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

If you are eating Atkins correctly, You will have a few days of yuck but after that it should increase your energy and stamina.

If you are eating well and getting enough of everything.
Most times people aren't eating enough and then feel sluggish.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-17, 18:10

BF:

Hi Baylor,

It's interesting you mention not eating enough. My calories and macros are usually quite high, even with low carb. However, I tried a lot more LC vegetables today and am feeling focused and energetic. I am starting to think I'm not eating enough when I go lower carb. I hit the 3 cups of LC veggies today and find it much better.