Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 23:26

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Electrolyte Supplements

Hi everyone,

I have less issues with leg cramps and spasms than when I first started LCHF. Will I always need to take some kind of electrolyte supplement with this WOE. I am a big coffee drinker!! What about Pink Himalayan Salt? I bought some and use this when I'm fasting. Should I use that every day? How much?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 05:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Especially during weight loss, I think it's better to just keep taking them. There is some adaptation, I think. When I first did Atkins induction I experienced a lot of electrolyte issues, now eating in a similar way doesn't give me most of those issues. But last summer, ten years or so of low carbing under my belt, I did start getting some muscle cramps working out sometime, I even injured myself slightly one day doing deadlifts due to this. I always use lots of salt, so I didn't expect this to come up. So I went back to using half-salt (half potassium) and those issues went away. I think maybe this happened because I was relying too heavily on eggs, they're lower in potassium than most fresh meats. I've also upped my very low carb veggies.

If I didn't work out etc., I might not have had any obvious symptoms of potassium deficiency. Maybe I would have gone along as I was and I would have eventually got worse symptoms. Better safe than sorry.

I salt my coffee and tea, in small amounts it enhances the flavour. I also have a cup or two of broth a day, which I add a bit of salt to, and salt on my food. Or I should say half-salt. I do it all to taste. Sodium might reduce potassium losses, but it can't replace it in the diet. The half salt doesn't taste as salty to me, so I probably use more, but I don't measure.

Fasting days, I just have a couple cups of salty broth and salt my coffee.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 10:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I'm a total believer in getting enough sodium (Himalayan sea salt,) potassium (avocados/grass fed hamburger,) and chelated magnesium (supplement.)

Low carb means our bodies do not retain water. I think we need more, maybe lots more, than the regular RDA.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 13:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I lovvvvveeeee salt, so I don't have to worry much there. But if I'm doing an endurance event in summer, I will consume extra before/during/after in form of pickles/broth/just adding even extra to my normal stuff.
Potassium- I do go out of my way to consume lots of avos and greens. Sometimes I drink lakewood organic veggy juice, which hits potassium and sodium. It has just a few net carbs per cup, and includes the fiber (it is actually blended not juiced).

Magnesium- while I eat a lot of nuts and seeds, especially pumpkin seeds- I supplement!
It is really hard to get enough through diet, now that our soil is so degraded.

Be very wary of any symptoms like clamping in hands or feet, tingling in face or extremities, rapid heart rate, etc..... I missed signs of a simple magnesium defincy and it eventually landed me in the hospital. (I was doing a lot of hot yoga and running outdoors in summer at the time, so it was not a low carb thing, but those are serious signs to watch for if you are concerned about electrolyte balance).
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 15:18

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have been low carb since last June. I use salt liberally, but occasionally get foot cramps. When that occurs, I immediately shake some Mrs. Dash and pink salt in my hand and eat it. The relief that s almost immediate.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 16:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/169/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Is there an article or some info on this topic? I wasn't aware until now to take extra salt, (Himalayan salt) or Potassium and magnesium supplements.

Also what kind of broth would you recommend? I'm finishing 2 weeks of Atkins induction today but have had no problems with any cramping or tingling or anything else.

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 11:02

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamm
Is there an article or some info on this topic? I wasn't aware until now to take extra salt, (Himalayan salt) or Potassium and magnesium supplements.
The need to add salts (~1/2 tsp or more day) is mentioned in the book "New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great" Paperback – Mar 2 2010 by Eric C. Westman, Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek (all very knowledgable doctors and exercise physiologists). It is the key update to Atkins' own versions and eliminates "induction flu" which people like me had suffered from since 1972.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 09:07

BF:

Thanks everyone for your help. I do feel much better since adding in daily Himalayan pink salt with broth.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 09:17

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Just chiming in -- I take a broad spectrum 750 mg magnesium supplement and 99 mg of potassium (a very low amount; sometimes I take 2; apparently, 99 is the most they will sell OTC). I get cramps in my feet and lower legs if I don't take the supplements. I am going to have my blood levels tested on these next time I see my doc just to have the info, but based on how my body seems to behave, this is working.
I also take 5000 of Vit D (blood test showed a major deficiency; if levels go up at next test, my doc might change the amount I take).
And I take fish oil and glucosamine.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 19:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would recommend the NuSalt over potassium pills, for the cost alone. 99 mg is almost useless. About 5000 mg is what's recommended per day. A tsp of NuSalt is about half of that daily requirement.

For comparison with some high-potassium foods: a whole avocado is about 1000 mg, a 4-oz serving of most fish 500-700 mg, 4 oz of beef and pork around 500 mg, and you can get a few hundred grams from leafy greens, yogurt, or nuts.

For the record, blood levels don't tell you whether or not your intake is sufficient, especially if you're trying to treat something like leg cramps. Your body will bend over backwards, so to speak, to keep blood levels of electrolytes normal. If they're abnormal, it's indicative of kidney disease or something of that ilk.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-17, 08:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This subject (as with someone close to me who is also going Paleo) leads to people asking why they have to take supplements; it doesn't seem right. Why can't our bodies function without "help"?
  • Our foods are not that nutritious. Chemical fertilizers, exhausted soils, produce grown for looks and shippability, meat produced with no regard for the animals natural diet: it's a mess out there.
  • How long have we been eating for nutrition? If the answer is not "my whole life" we're talking deficits.
  • We eat anti-nutrients, or used to. Grains and sugars don't just block nutrient absorbtion, they also drain existing stores.
  • Stress sucks up nutrients. Bs & C in particular, but stress means mechanisms to deal with it which leads to resources getting used up.
  • We are dealing with a healing body. Sure, it's trying to get optimum, but this is not an instant changeover.

When I started with chelated magnesium, I used the directions that went, "Take very gradually until bowels loosen, then back off. This is your optimum dose."

For months, I took 8-9 500mg pills a day. Now, it's every few days. Taught me a lot.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-17, 15:19

BF:

Thanks everyone!!

I've learned alot.