Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 12:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Easy Spaghetti Squash

Okay, I finally moved the mallet from the garage to the kitchen because I'm using it a lot to drive a knife through my spaghetti squashes.

Anyway, I found a quick and easy way to cook this stuff. I cut the pieces into roughly what I imagine is a serving size and then put as many as will fit in a large microwave safe bowl. I add in some water and then cover the bowl with a plate. I microwave it for 3-4 minutes and then let it sit for 10 minutes or so. If it needs it, I repeat.

Fast and easy! Cleanup is just rinsing out the bowl and drying off the plate.

So delicious with just butter and salt!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 12:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

have you tried peircing the squash with fork a few times and then microwaving it for a few mins to soften it enough to cut it pretty easily?
the image of you whacking your hand with the mallet when aiming for the hammer has me worried
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 13:32
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think there's any danger of hand-whacking since I'm holding onto the knife handle and whacking the back of the knife. When the knife is all the way in, I start pounding the knife and squash against the cutting board. Or hammer at the tip of the knife. It seems fairly safe to me!

Is that how you cut your squashes? Microwave them first? I'll have to try it.

Gosh, I'm loving the squash right now. Eating it every day. YUM!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-16, 14:17

BF:

i do microwave them to soften- i got "into" spaghetti and acorn/butternut in college, so i had super crappy knives. there is no safe way to cut those squashes with dull knives.....so it is just habit now.
Glad you are being careful- i managed to stick a knife in my hand a few years ago using the "safe technique" to get pit by sticking knife in pit and pulling it out. I had to get stiches and and when i finally got home from ER, the only food left in house was the salad i had been making.....now sprayed in blood
The salad was supposed to be my first meal of day (lunch) after a very long run....it was now close to 10pm....i ate the salad

after softening squash, i do prefer to cook in oven. they get watery in microwave- but just to cut them more easily, the microwave doesn't seem to damage them. plus you can cut down oven time!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 13:03
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I made it for the first time last night.... now I will remember to do it in the oven, Not that I found it too mushy but maybe a little.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 15:18
Experimenter

BF:

An, actually to get an avocado pit out you whack it with the knife, not stick it. Best to do it on a cutting board and keep your hands out of the way.

Then to get the pit off the knife, you whack the knife handle on the edge of your trash can.

It is sort of like this, but I don't hold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGd6GfHG77I
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-21-16, 11:45

BF:

^^ oh i see now- thanks, Nancy!
After my avo incident, I had to cancel my evening appointments (ER was very slow), and my clients gifted me a fancy williams sonoma "safe" avo pit/slice tool.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 12:08
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! I'll have to look up that tool.

I tried baking the spaghetti squash this time and I actually prefer it steamed. It was quite al dente after baking. I like the way it gets very soft and creamy after you steam it. Kind of reminds me of risotto.

When I was whacking my squash I paid close attention to where my hands were and I must say you'd be hard pressed to hurt yourself as long as you do it right.

This time I also cut off the stem end first. Then rested it on the flat end where the stem was, and whacked the knife down the center, mallet on the knife end.

Here's a picture of someone doing it with an acorn squash. Only difference is, I'd tap on the end sticking out on the other side. Once the blade is embedded.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Oct-24-16 at 12:17.