Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-16, 05:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ccat, could you ask his doctor to talk to him? write a "prescription" for healthy eating and exercise.
Your concern is real, A woman in our neighborhood just lost her husband to a stroke, he was only 59. Both ate unhealthily and they were/are very overweight. She's had all my LC info for years, both ignored it. I wonder if she will finally change now.

I'm watching this thread..my husband is getting neuropathy in his feet, now a little in his hands. Has always been thin, ate well, and now eats Low Carb, very healthy. Even though we told the doctor he eats LC, she requested an OGTT without warning us. I got worried and printed out info about adjusting the results for LC eaters. But of course, his fasting was only 82 and the 2 hour 88! The man is so Insulin Sensitive he could be the poster "old guy" for LC eating. Other tests OK too. Looks like it will be that ever useful diagnosis of "Idiopathic Neuropathy". I've always though we didn't need B12 because we eat quite a bit of meat/protein...but maybe try this? The B12 level was tested twice by GP and neurologist..both within "good levels".

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Sep-06-16 at 13:25.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-16, 08:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

The husband of an acquaintance had a massive stroke 3 weeks ago. He's a hard working farmer in his 50s. He survived the stroke but is now in rehab. From what she has said in the past, I know he pretty much eats anything. One of those "I'm in good shape so why should I worry about diet" kind of guys.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Eric Westman Ketogenic
Stats: 294/220/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:plenty
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I've always though we didn't need B12 because we eat quite a bit of meat/protein...but maybe try this? The B12 level was tested twice by GP and neurologist..both within "good levels".

Hey Janet,

Get the number! The range for 'normal' is 200 - 800 pg/ml so it would be nice to know you are closer to 800.

I'm a big fan of B12 supplements, preferably sublingual.

Stella
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 14:49
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Stella,

I had my B12 tested in Junes 2016 to see if low vitamin B was causing my face and neck inflammation. The doctor told me mine was normal, but I didn't pay attention to the numbers. Mine was only 411 pg/mL. That seems on the low side of normal to me.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 03:17
Registered Member

Plan: Eric Westman Ketogenic
Stats: 294/220/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:plenty
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Stella,

Mine was only 411 pg/mL. That seems on the low side of normal to me.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get that number higher. As far as I understand, the only way to die of too much B12 is if you lie face down in a bathtub full of it! In Japan they start supplementing at 400.

My sister and I both have a problem absorbing B12 from our food and have been taking sublingual supplements for a couple of years. When waiting for new supplies or missing a few days we have both noticed (and those around us!) we get very crabby, foggy, clumsy, achey etc. My boss has also commented on this phenomenon. B12 is my personal 'happy pill'.

Stella
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 08:55

DH was 528, so in the upper half and good for an old guy, though already got some sublingual B12 to add to that.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 11:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Robin, I want to thank you for your matter of fact, informative posts. Knowing the level of agony you went through, it's extra remarkable that you are able to be so helpful and precise in your descriptions of what helped and didn't.

Something tells me that you are an amazing trainer, for that reason: you can deconstruct what needs to be done, and communicate it clearly.

BTW: I missed the point where your fiance became your husband. Congratulations to both of you!

thank you, Mickie- that is such a great compliment!!!
And thanks for congrats- we got married in july
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-16, 11:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty55
My sister and I both have a problem absorbing B12 from our food and have been taking sublingual supplements for a couple of years. When waiting for new supplies or missing a few days we have both noticed (and those around us!) we get very crabby, foggy, clumsy, achey etc. My boss has also commented on this phenomenon. B12 is my personal 'happy pill'.

Stella

i have heard anxiety is another tell tale sign....
"foggy": a friend was so low at one point, she found herself on a city bus with no idea where she was supposed to be headed (she was en route to teach a yoga class in downtown DC). after that episode she went to the Dr, and discovered it was just vit B12 deficiency. if you can stomach it, she swears by sardines, now.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 11:58

BF:

Hi friends,
As the weather is turning colder, i have had some VERY painful days. Normally, my feet feel numb first thing, I massage them and they begin to burn. Then as morning progresses, by around 10-11am (so 5-6 hours post getting up), they feel pretty good.
On days when I flare up from cold, I am prescribed 900mg gabapentim 3 times daily. But I often have to use 1200 mg to make it take effect. It is non habit forming and hard to OD on, so I wasn't too worried about taking one extra pill. Problem is my day is OVER after such a big dose. It's like being hit by a tranquilizer dart and causes- as my nuero describes it "a marijuana like high." So I also will not drive after taking it.

On Monday I called my dr asking if there anything else I can do other than wearing my boots, warm water, manual stimulation, and my DH just ordered one of those electrical stimulators....

He said he has success with many people taking an SSRI. It blocks pain receptors in brain! So today I am starting cymbal tin. It should take effect within a few weeks. Anyone else had this or heard of it being used this way?
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 12:21

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
i have heard anxiety is another tell tale sign....
"foggy": a friend was so low at one point, she found herself on a city bus with no idea where she was supposed to be headed (she was en route to teach a yoga class in downtown DC). after that episode she went to the Dr, and discovered it was just vit B12 deficiency. if you can stomach it, she swears by sardines, now.

Just saw this. I stopped taking B complex for a variety of reasons, but I've been eating sardines up to 5 times a week for breakfast. I trade off with canned salmon. I had assumed that my lowered level of anxiety was being lchf in general, but maybe it's my favorite breakfast. Or both. Never had my vitamin B level checked.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 14:05

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Merpig, I got a lot of help from PT after my last adventure in fractured metatarsal. My pinky toe couldn't feel anything, and it wouldn't respond to commands to touch the floor.

For the first year after the injury, I had to do my exercises religiously, or it would start misbehaving again. But now, it's good.
I'm still keeping fingers crossed. It's been five months now since I broke my wrist and 4 months since the surgery. Still have no feeling (beyond numbness, tingling, etc) in my left middle finger and fingers are all still stiff and weak despite therapy 2-3 times a week, and me doing my exercises at home daily. There is some *infinitesimal* measured progress each month. At this rate it will take years to get back to normal (if ever!) so I keep hoping progress will speed up.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 14:45

Robin, how awful for you to still have lingering effects from the GBS, and that they get worse in the cold. Hope that both the electrical stimulator and Cymbalta give you more relief. Have read of SSRIs for various chronic pain like fibromyalgia but no experience. Have you tried Lyrica instead of upping the gabapentin dose? A friend takes that for chronic pain but it may not be any better than the earlier meds. Wishing you a good day and quick effect from the doctors new advice.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-02-16 at 04:04.