Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-16, 19:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete533
The country is divided politically. Must we also have warring camps gastronomically?

In a word, yes! Where have you been? Among the vegans, vegetarians, low carbers, zero carbers, ketogenics, DASH, Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), food manufacturers, sugar lobby, soda manufacturers, AHA, AMA, and too many others to mention, it's a cluster of disagreements and conflicting dogma based on a striking lack of science or the unwillingness to recognize recent scientific findings. We've had warring camps in nutrition for quite some time. While I don't find criticisms of alternate views helpful, the damage can occur when an "expert" recommends an unsound way of eating that harms the people who follow it. Just look at the food pyramid concept that started the incredible rise in obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome since the late 70s. There are people who tried to eat properly according to the recommendations and were irreparably harmed over time to the point where people lost their lives or had to deal with severe health issues. I don't blame those who are strident. Problem is many are strident with no way of knowing the WOE they promote is a sound approach.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-16, 11:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete533
I guess all those success stories from Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Barnard are liars.

Yes. It is incredible how much lying goes on in vegan circles. Several years ago some prominent vegan bloggers revealed they had to go back to eating meat because of health reasons: and the abuse, which included death threats, was so great these folks had to erase their sites from the web. But before they vanished, they revealed that many in the vegan community emailed them with a basic, "Yes, we all eat meat but shut up about it, you will ruin us."

I have never forgotten that.

Fortunately, we also have this thing called "science" which is not enamored of the vegan diet, either:

Quote:
I noticed this with my own vegan and vegetarian experiments. The first 3 months, you’re on fire. Then things start to break, including your brain. I’ve heard this countless times from coaching clients and people who attend my SVHI.com meetings. The sad thing is that the most competitive, hardest working people who try vegan diets tend to stick with them the longest, for the simple reason that they remember how good the first 3 months felt. When their performance – and then health – decline, they convince themselves that it couldn’t be the vegan diet, because of how good it made them feel.

So they suffer while they try to figure out all the other reasons their quality of life is gradually declining, but they do not make the connection. I call this the vegan trap – it’s a naturally occurring phenomena that takes advantage of the fact that behavior changes we stick to for 40 days (or 6 weeks) tend to become permanent, and the unfortunate fact that what is a fundamentally unhealthy diet makes you feel good for a time longer than 40 days. It’s the same psychological mechanism behind drug addiction.We don’t know with certainty exactly why Carl Lewis’ performance began to decline. Maybe it was age, loss of enthusiasm, or simply better competition. However, there is good reason to believe a vegan diet contributed to his rapid decline.

Athletic Anti-Nutrition: What a Vegan Diet Did to Carl Lewis

People often have a hard time the first few weeks of a low carb diet, as their bodies adjust to the new fuel. Then, things get better, and better, and better!

Vegan diets seem to be the opposite. From other parts of the article, there are descriptions of the mechanisms of why people feel so good when they go vegan. But then, things get worse, and worse, and worse!

The people who believe the lies wind up losing years of their lives and sometimes, their health.

Here's a pointed comment from that post:

Quote:
As someone who attempted a vegan diet for a little over a year, your article really hit home for me. You pretty much describe what happened to me. I felt great for a few months. Then I noticed that my brown hair was suddenly and rapidly turning white. But I had felt so good and had been told by so many vegans that "everyone can thrive on a vegan diet" .. that instead of aborting the experiment immediately, I kept trying to find a way to fix it. Meanwhile, an endless list of other alarming symptoms began to accumulate, including difficulty maintaining muscle tone.

Well, there was no way to fix it. And reading articles like yours finally made me realize ... the problem was not me, it was the entire premise of a vegan diet.

Not surprisingly, when I announced this to the world, I was the recipient of a huge amount of hatred from vegans. I can't help but wonder if the hatred vegans spew arises out of a sense of deprivation ... That deep down we all fully knew a vegan diet wasn't cutting it, but were so attached to the idea that it "should" work ... that it was actually painful to see someone have the courage to walk away from it.

Anyway, I haven't reversed all the alarming symptoms that arose during my unfortunate vegan experiment, but I'm feeling better and certainly going to try to get back to 100%. Thanks for this very insightful article. Sure, nobody can prove causation ... but your theory fits very well with what I experienced.

Last edited by WereBear : Thu, Dec-15-16 at 11:22.