Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 13:14

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%
Default Harvard researchers say low carb is the best diet to go on

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 21:18

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

This is the full paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4667723/

Note reference #36, Chris Gardner's A-TO-Z experiment, my personal favorite. But more importantly, it's a study of studies so we got a bunch of stuff to refer to when we discuss low-carb vs low-fat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 22:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Why do these authors always end up pushing "lean protein" and the avoidance of "saturated and trans-fats" in favor of vegetable oils no mater what the actual study finds out?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 22:39

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

They found that low-carb diets were consistently better at helping patients lose weight than low-fat diets; the participants on the low-carb diets lost 2.5 pounds more than those on low-fat diets, with the average weight loss among all groups at about six pounds.[QUOTE]

Six pounds?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 02:43
Registered Member

Plan: my own designed
Stats: 276/267/200 Male 5.4
BF:
Progress:

Yes i don't get the 6 pounds
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 03:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This article is based on a study published in 2015. Nothing has changed in the Harvard Health newsletter diet advice, particularly not Frank Hu's opinion demonizing fat. He was the one who solicited the signatures for a letter demanding the BMJ retract Nina Teicholz's criticism of the DGA guidelines. Harvard will not change their advice to limit fat, particularly saturated fat, until Walter Willett and Frank Hu are retired and gone.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-06-17 at 03:26.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 04:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

[QUOTE=chicachyna]They found that low-carb diets were consistently better at helping patients lose weight than low-fat diets; the participants on the low-carb diets lost 2.5 pounds more than those on low-fat diets, with the average weight loss among all groups at about six pounds.
Quote:

Six pounds?

In mostly English speaking Ontario, we have mandatory French classes. Mostly, the kids don't learn to speak French, which is a shame. You can't really judge the effectiveness of the language as a communication tool by that. One problem with all of these studies is that the effectiveness of the teacher/teaching method can have a profound effect on results, if a method works, it won't be well tested unless you can convince people to actually apply it.

Also, people playing the home game, whether it's McDougall's starch solution or Atkins, are already sort of invested and probably have some reason to believe that the diet could work for them, or they wouldn't be trying it in the first place, that sort of investment might be lacking when people are randomly assigned to a diet group, believing something will actually work if you apply it properly is major motivation for compliance.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 04:24

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
[QUOTE=chicachyna]
Also, people playing the home game, whether it's McDougall's starch solution or Atkins, are already sort of invested and probably have some reason to believe that the diet could work for them, or they wouldn't be trying it in the first place, that sort of investment might be lacking when people are randomly assigned to a diet group, believing something will actually work if you apply it properly is major motivation for compliance.

This is so important and so true. If you don't believe it is going to work then you are much less invested in following it.

I just spent yesterday morning addressing envelopes for a fund raising campaign with a woman who is eating a low carb auto-immune type diet on the advice of a naturopath, not for weight loss, she is thin, but for some other health issues she is having. She had been on it for 2 weeks and was finding it so hard to stick to. I probably burst her bubble in a way and maybe should have kept my mouth shut, but I gave her my I've been doing this for years and if accomplishes what you want, for me eliminating some debilitating health issue, it really can become very easy. I find myself lately not very sympathetic to people who lament the lack of ice cream in their lives.

As an aside, I pay no attention to anything about nutrition that comes out of Harvard.

Jean

Last edited by cotonpal : Tue, Jun-06-17 at 04:30.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 04:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Why do these authors always end up pushing "lean protein" and the avoidance of "saturated and trans-fats" in favor of vegetable oils no mater what the actual study finds out?

Brainwashed.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 05:04

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
~snip~

I think the knowledge of what kind of food you personally tolerate more readily is an even bigger factor than simply believing something will actually work, based on the theory and research behind the diet.

I know some people who simply can not tolerate even a moderately high fat diet. For some, it makes their stomach hurt (testing for gall bladder problems are negative, so they just avoid more than minimal fats). For others, they end up with the runs. Still others simply can't stand the taste of fatty foods, or the texture of more than absolutely minimal dietary fats.

Others (like many of us on ALC) will end up eating everything they can get their hands on if dietary fat is severely restricted, protein minimized, with starches or sugars the mainstay of their diet, no matter how much fiber is involved. Raise the blood sugar with all those carbs, triggering a massive insulin response, and the raging appetite is never appeased on carbs.

These are extreme examples of course, but I pity anyone who was randomly picked in those studies to do a diet which they would find so physically difficult that it would be impossible for them to stick to it.

Not that having reason to believe a diet will work, because you find the theory behind it to be more believable (CI/CO, vs satiation of dietary fats and minimizing carbs to control appetite) doesn't have something to do with it too, especially for people who haven't dieted before, or grew up eating one way, gained weight when they got away from that way of eating, and are looking for a a diet they think they can stick to.