Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Question about Spaghetti Squash...

I'm a student chef, so this is kind of embarrassing to ask but...how do I cut the spaghetti squash? I've never had any experience with this veggie, so I know nothing about it. Do the "strings" just pull off once it's cut, or will I need to use a fork to extract the strings? I can handle the recipes from there, I just need to know how to prepare it for spaghetti. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I haven't made them often, but when I did and I cut it raw, I had to get DH to cut it! Although since you're in cooking school, you probably have good knives!! One time I cut it after microwaving, and it cut much easier. No matter what you do, cut it lengthwise. Remove the seeds and then the strands are easy to remove with a fork once cooked.

I really should get some. I love it with butter and parmesan cheese. Thanks for the reminder!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 21:39

BF:

Thanks, Elle. Informative as always! I figured I'd try a shrimp alfredo with it. I tried it before with the strands of celery and it was to die for! So nummy!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 21:43
Registered Member

Stats: 128/116/116 Female 5 feet, 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mmm, spaghetti squash is soooooo good! Now you have me salivating! Just cut it in half and microwave it in about 2 inches of water with the insides facing down. I believe it's about 10 minutes. Once it's done, use some gloves or something because it's so very hot, use a fork and just take out the strands. There will be a little bit of mushy parts that you can just thow away, you can saute the strands in butter to get some of the fluid out and then pour the sauce over it. So delish!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Actually, don't use a good knife on it, get one of those heavy duty chinese kitchen knives and a mallet. Bang of the back of the kitchen knife with the mallet and you can easily open any squash.

I have "cheated" and cooked spagetti squash before de-seeding them. Then they're super easy to open.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 12:50
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I cheat. I use one of those little saws you use to carve pumpkins with. Cuts through the squash like butter. It might be odd but the way I look at it, is that I can destroy a hundred dollar knife or use a two dolllar saw.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 08:56

BF:

I just wanted to thank you guys for your good advice! I tried to cut it first before cooking and you're right, that thing is rock solid. Instead, I boiled it for about 10 minutes and was able to slice right through. Then I scooped out the seeds and boiled the halves for a few more minutes. The strands pulled out beautifully! I made an alfredo sauce with shrimp and mixed veggies and poured that over my "spaghetti". It was FABULOUS! I will definitely buy more of that. I think it would make a really good side dish by itself with the right spices. Thanks again for all of your help!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 14:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Is it better to boil or bake the squash? I've read directions both ways.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 14:27
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

I actually think it is better to microwave them. I puncture the squash about 10 to 20 times with a corn on the cob holder so it can vent and not explode then nuke it for 10 to 15 min depending on the size. it then cuts like butter and is completely done.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 16:22
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I used to microwave it but I find I prefer it when I bake it. It just tastes different to me lol. Either is fine I suppose, microwaving is faster. I have never tried boiling it so I can't comment.

Actually... I take that back. The first time I ever had spaghetti squash I was a kid and my mother was on some diet that suggested eating spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti. She was so excited about it. I do not remember how she prepared it but know she boiled it and I remember it was crunchy and orange and tasted vile and it took me almost 20 years before I was willing to try it again. Now I love it but I also know how to prepare it well lol.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 19:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I used to microwave it but I find I prefer it when I bake it. It just tastes different to me lol. Either is fine I suppose, microwaving is faster. I have never tried boiling it so I can't comment.

Actually... I take that back. The first time I ever had spaghetti squash I was a kid and my mother was on some diet that suggested eating spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti. She was so excited about it. I do not remember how she prepared it but know she boiled it and I remember it was crunchy and orange and tasted vile and it took me almost 20 years before I was willing to try it again. Now I love it but I also know how to prepare it well lol.

It sounds like your mother didn't cook it long enough, however she cooked it.

I baked it tonight and it came out really delicious. Of course, the kids didn't have more than 2 bites each of it, but at least they ate the meatballs and tomato sauce! There's enough cooked squash leftover for another complete meal.