Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 18:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 172/161/135 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default fish cakes/patties

These are like crab cakes without the crackers. Three individual frozen raw fish filets were used and I made five patties. Since the fish was raw, I sauteed them on a lower heat at first until I was able to turn them twice.

Ingredients
- fish filets
- half an onion, chopped

- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of regular mayo
- about 1/4 to 1/3 cup each of: Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal and Wheat Bran
(This amount might need to be adjusted.)
- several sprigs of chopped cilantro or parsley
- salt, pepper
- dash of lemon juice

Directions
Put the fish and onion in a food processor and pulse until completely shredded. Then, turn this out into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients stirring until completely mixed.

Form patties and saute them in a large frying pan (slowly if the fish is raw) over medium heat turning them a few times until they are golden brown and have a little crispiness to the outside. (I used butter.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 20:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might try mixing in some egg to get it to stick together even better. Flax meal, almond meal, coconut flour work in these too. I've done this fairly often with canned tuna or salmon.

Good stuff!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 20:48

BF:

Well, there is an egg in there. And flaxseed meal, too. They are both in the ingredients!

The reason I use both the flax meal and the bran is for texture. I use almond meal a lot for other things like pancakes, crust for cheese cake, and breading along with parmesan cheese. I don't use coconut flour as much as these others because coconut flour has more carbs even accounting for the fiber (according to the Red Mill packages).
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 20:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Whoa! How'd I miss that. So sorry. Doh! They sound delicious. It makes me think I haven't made them for too long. I especially love it when they get a little crusty.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-14, 21:07

BF:

I dunno. Maybe you were rattled because of the earthquake? (You're in California, right?)

I think you're right about the crustiness. For me, texture makes a big difference in how a dish tastes, so when I make crab or fish cakes, I like them really crusty and for some reason they seem to be crustier when I use butter to saute them.