Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 08:07

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Thumbs up Broiled Tilapia Parmesan

I tried this recipe a few days ago... Broiled Tilapia Parmesan. It was really good... even DH liked it. It was very similar to the chicken recipe made with mayonnise and parmesan cheese. In fact, I think I may actually try the chicken topping on top of the fish, next time. The recipe calls for 2 pounds of fish. I'm not sure how much fish I used but I know it was no where near 2 pounds. I used four small fillets but I made all of the topping... this gave us lots of "sauce" to enjoy with our fish. It was so quick and easy!

Broiled Tilapia Parmesan

2 pounds Tilapia Fillets
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup Butter, softened
3 T Mayonnaise
2 T Lemon Juice, fresh
1/4 t Basil, dried
1/4 t Black Pepper, ground
1/8 t Onion Powder
1/8 t Celery Salt

Preaheat oven broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line with aluminum foil.

In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Season with basil, pepper, onion powder, and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.

Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over, and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven, and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes, or until the topping is browned, and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

PML Notes:

- This was really quick and easy. The topping had a wonderful flavor that really complimented the fish.

- The butter/sauce "melted" as soon as it hit the hot fish so there wasn't much of a "crust" left on the fish... next time I may try a fusion of this recipe and the mayo/parmesan recipe for chicken... or perhaps modify the cooking technique so that the topping has a chance to "crust" before the butter starts melting.

- Next time I will probably add a little garlic to the topping... season the fish with salt, pepper, and garlic before broiling... and cut down on the lemon (the taste of the lemon really came through and it was a bit strong for my tastes)

- Although this recipe probably intended the use of parmesan "in the can", I used fresh parmesan grated with a microplane. I will definately use more cheese next time.

Enjoy!

Phyllis

Last edited by Rosebud : Sun, Jan-08-12 at 18:10. Reason: To fix broken link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-06, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4 inches
BF:Fat.Less Fat.Thin.
Progress: 43%

I'm trying this tonight!

I didn't use all of those ingredients but it was still very good.
I put the shredded parm on last so it would crust.

Last edited by myheart7 : Mon, Nov-20-06 at 21:00.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 15:28

Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

Tried this last night and my DH and 8 year old son LOVED it! It was very delicious. Next time around to avoid lots of mushiness on the sauce, I'll hold off on adding the parm on top of the sauce rather than in the mix.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 19:59

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great fish! I tried it tonight with basa. Made the topping without the butter (basted the fish with butter first) & it stayed on & made a great crust.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 12:25
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Yum, I think I'll make this tonight for dinner
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 12:58

Stats: 190/190/120 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

I make this same basic recipe all the time...it is so quick, easy, tastes great and nutritious.
Just a hint: I quadruple the topping and put it in a jar or plastic container with a lid. It seems to last forever. So when I come from work I take out my frozen fish, place it on foil, let it cook for a few minutes, put on my topping and broil and put some veggies in either the microwave or oven. Dinner can be ready in 5 minutes and no cleanup!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 18:56
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Just finished it....deeelish! I loved it, will definitely make it again. Soon actually since I just bought a huge box of Tilapia at Walmart just for this recipe

Thanks for the recipe!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 16:24

Stats: 259/249/160 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have made this recipe twice now and absolutely love it!! My husband said it's the best new recipe I have made in a while!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 17:01

Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I generally don't like fish much, but I do try to eat it once a week because it's good for me. Tried this recipe and LOVED it! Even my three year old is eating it.