Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 07:28
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Anyone Here Gluten Free?

I'm just curious if anyone here is doing SB gluten-free.

I have an intolerance to gluten which shows up mainly as painful arthritic symptoms, although I certainly have other symptoms as well. I had gluten this past week, and I am really suffering. That's it; no more experimenting. In phase 1 I have no choice anyway!

Last night I was skimming through the SB Supercharged book, and I notice in the back of the book Dr. A talks about folks feeling so much better on phase 1 and then realizing they were gluten intolerant. Dr. A's new book in September is called The South Beach Wake-up Call: Dr. Agatston's Revolutionary Program for Reversing our Toxic Lifestyle. It's on my amazon wish list. I sure hope he talks about the dangers of gluten in that book.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 08:01

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Many people report that they feel much better after eliminating gluten from their diet. I'm not going to say that I'm 100% gluten free, as I do have the odd grain product here and there. But I do notice that when I don't have any for a few days, the bit of arthritis that I have does seem better. I'm looking forward to the new SB book too!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 08:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

While I'm not totally gluten free as I do eat some grains, miezamau aka susanne has gone gluten free for about the past 2 weeks and she is doing great!

I saw that you are going to make bowl muffins for your breakfast. Using flax meal and almond meal is nice and you'll need to keep in mind that it will limit your having any other nuts or nut butters during the day when you eat your portion for the day at breakfast.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 09:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Judy, I've decided when I eat the muffin, which is approximately equivalent to an ounce of nuts, I won't have nuts the rest of the day. Or at least I'll make a big effort not to!

I was reading over on Kaylyn's Kitchen website that nuts are probably one SB snack food she eats too much off! I'll really try to limit my nuts! If occasionally I have a bit more, I won't beat myself up over it. I'm slowly realizing that my perfectionism is what got me into trouble many times over the years. If I wasn't just perfect on a diet, I'd beat myself up and abandon it totally! Crazy! I can't let that happen anymore, no matter what.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe_latte
Judy, I've decided when I eat the muffin, which is approximately equivalent to an ounce of nuts, I won't have nuts the rest of the day. Or at least I'll make a big effort not to!

I was reading over on Kaylyn's Kitchen website that nuts are probably one SB snack food she eats too much off! I'll really try to limit my nuts! If occasionally I have a bit more, I won't beat myself up over it. I'm slowly realizing that my perfectionism is what got me into trouble many times over the years. If I wasn't just perfect on a diet, I'd beat myself up and abandon it totally! Crazy! I can't let that happen anymore, no matter what.

OK, I hear ya on the perfectionism.
At the same time, what SB teaches us is portion control especially on calorie dense foods like seeds and nuts. Its a very big lesson that each of us who tend to eat too many nuts needs to learn.

I used to try to keep cashews in my home. A small can would be gone within 24 hours of it coming in here. I live alone so it had to be me but I hardly recall eating them!! I don't bring them home any longer and someitme swill buy a snack size bag when I'm out and about.

Phase I veggies are the only aspect of SB that is unlimited.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 09:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Judy, you are funny. I do understand about the nuts, believe me!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 13:13

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Instead of almond meal, which can be very high in calories, I use a scoop of protein powder in the muffins. Then you get that muffiny thing with an added protein boost.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 14:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Char, I actually add 1/2 scoop whey protein powder in with the other ingredients. The 2 tb. almond meal I use in the recipe equals 1/2 oz nuts, and I count it as my nut serving.

I love the protein powder added. It really gives the "bread" staying power!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-11, 07:23

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hello Cafe latte! welcome to the Beach.

As Judy mentioned, I am trying to go Gluten free and have been for the past 2 weeks. I have been doing great on it. I know I am not 100% Gluten free, because I have not yet eliminated the Hidden Gluten you get from Sauces and ect, but tried to eliminate as much as I could of those extra ones. I have not had any bread, pasta, cookies or anything else like that, that would contain gluten.
I feel great and my insides love me for it. Yesterday we went out to eat to a Buffet, and today I am paying for it dearly. Even though I had a huge salad, Grilled chicken and nothing but vegetables, I think they must have something hidden in there like MSG or something to make me feel so terrible. My stomach was cramping all night from it until I could finally go to the Bathroom this morning (sorry TMI).
Lesson learned. No more Buffet.
I would love your version of the Almond/protein powder muffins. Please post them
Good luck with your journey, oh by the way, how about you also join us over in the Gluten Free Challenge (just click on the link in my Signature)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-11, 11:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Susanne, I found much to my shock that a lot of chicken in restaurants do have gluten. I actually found this out from reading the gluten free menu at my favorite fast food restaurant, Carl's Jr. The low carb six dollar burger is gluten free, but the low carb (bunless) chicken breast is not! I think a lot of restaurants must dust their chicken with a bit of flour or use seasonings that have gluten. What a disappointment. That said, I still order plain chicken in other restaurants. Sometimes I can tell there was gluten, sometimes I get no side effects. I've just accepted that I have no control over that when I eat out, and try to order as gluten free as possible.

I will find and post that recipe for you!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 12:41

BF:

I hear you cafe latte!
I wish there would be a way to just FORCE all the restaurants to let us know IF there is Gluten in something, They do it mostly with Peanut allergy, why can't they do it with Gluten?

I would love to try that recipe when you can find it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 07:05

BF:

Well I am up this morning and my tummy hurts a bit, I think Hubby when he cooked the Brisket didn't look to make sure there wasn't any gluten in it. 2 lbs over night and my tummy hurts
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 08:35
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by miezimau
Well I am up this morning and my tummy hurts a bit, I think Hubby when he cooked the Brisket didn't look to make sure there wasn't any gluten in it. 2 lbs over night and my tummy hurts

Sorry that you aren't feeling well Susanne!
I'm curious what he could've cooked that brisket in that had gluten in it.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 08:39

BF:

I found out he put 1/4 cup of Beer in the sauce to cook the brisket and also he used a BBQ- sauce that contained Soy sauce (which also has gluten)
I told him he can make the brisket again, but next time to let me buy the BBQ-Sauce and not to add any beer to it. Beer= Barley=Gluten no good. Unless we can find a Gluten Free Beer.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-11, 10:57

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I've been perfecting the bean muffin recipe and I think coconut flour really did the trick.
They are beautiful and the crumb is so nice.
I also added a little baking soda for rising power.