Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-10, 16:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Purist approach vs. your thyroid

The Eades' purist approach caps your carbs at 40g/day. Yet in this discussion on T3, reverse T3, your thyroid and carb levels, the takeaway message for me was "If you eat less than 50g of carbs per day, your metabolism will slow down, and if you try to replace the lack of carbs with more protein, you could end up with a slow metabolism that will be very difficult to fix afterward (due to an excess of rT3 that won't clear up by itself)."

Is that message opinion, or is it really the lay summary of the research (I couldn't follow the technical parts of the discussion). If 50 g is the minimum recommended so as not to hose your thyroid, I guess I'll ignore the Eades's recommendation.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, Feb-14-10 at 20:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 09:59

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i can't give you the research but i believe that the consensus is that it's too low calorie that reduces the thyroid function.
when i was a vegetarian, and ate all carbs, my thyroid was on the low side. no more.....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 14:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

After I wrote this post, it occurred to me that I was thinking about net carbs, and all the controversy might be about gross carbs. Although my net carbs come in around 40–45s, my gross carbs are always in the 50–70g range.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 18:51

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think you're right about the net carbs. Also it might depend on how you do the super-low carb. I suspect that people who rely on a ton of protein and little fat, have more thyroid problems than people who do a ton of fat and minimal protein.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-11, 20:54

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

For me, it was dependant on how 'optimized' my replacement is. In my case 'optimal' is with FT4 at midway of it's range and FT3 at around 3/4 or higher of it's respective lab range.

I believe Dr. Broda Barnes was the one who said kind of put it 'together' as a 'carbs AND calories' thing. I would do 30 NET grams of carb and 1500 calories, and then again, I would also do 20net grams carbs and as long as my calories were up there at over 1500 or so that was good too.

In my advocation (thyroid patients) I've seen slow downs and sluggish thyroids in those who were doing VLC (20net grams carb) coupled WITH very low calories (1200 or UNDER).

If I have enough incoming porcine thyroid than I'm doing best with a couple meals with around 69% fat (or a little more) and 5 to 10% carbs and 20 to 24% protein. I'm a small person and I can handle 1760 cals on a 'regular' day, then I have a high day at around 2200 cals and my fat is never under 65% and my carbs on the highest day are around 50net.

I lost 50 lbs. on Protein Power before I was ever given any thyroid replacement at all.

I have autoimmune hypothyroidism.

Pam