Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 17:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default 20 Worst Foods In America

Some stunning calorie and carb counts here:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21838...DY_20WorstFoods
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 19:04

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to note that Men's Health has come around to the low-carb way of thinking. If only Women's Health would follow suit!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 01:11

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Omg!!!!

It's amazing to me the number of items on that list that I have eaten in the past! The #1 worst food in America, I have eaten at least twice!!! Thank god that low-carb can undo some of the damage that I have done to my body over the years.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 06:08
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Wow, freako foods! lol ... and whoever believes Aussies eat cheese on chips or Ranch dressing is completely misinformed!

I can't imagine what any of that stuff tastes like. How in the world can a SALAD have so many calories? It's just green leaves, cucumber and tomato. Right?

e

Last edited by bsheets : Sat, Dec-01-07 at 07:30.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 06:23
Needlehole

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I think the most shocking were the 7: Worst chicken entree
Chili's Honey Chipotle Crispers with Chipotle Sauce

2,040 calories

240 g carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many days worth of carbs would this amount to I wonder.

But the most suprising by far was Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing

240 g carbs!

I am greatly appreciative that most of these items aren't available in Canada. Some of the resturants don't even ring a bell. Thats fine by me, there are enough around as it is!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: my own 30 grams a meal
Stats: 211/136/145 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 114%

A year ago I would have ordered some of that food.. and now I wouldn;t even consider it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 10:45

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

This makes me grateful for the government regulations that force chain restaurants to hand over the information. I wish independent restaurants would do the same.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 21:18

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

wow.

I'm so glad I can say I haven't eaten ANY of those foods! Shocking calorie and fat counts, not to mention the carbs in some of thos foods.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-07, 02:35

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 310/270/220 Male 6'-0"
BF:it is for now
Progress: 44%

Thanks for posting. I'm amazed at the number of those items I used to eat on a regular basis. It explains a lot about my (pre-Atkins) weight gain over the past couple of years.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-07, 11:41

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
This makes me grateful for the government regulations that force chain restaurants to hand over the information. I wish independent restaurants would do the same.
Chains have standardized menus and the cost of generating the data for them is spread over all the individual restaurants. An independent has to absorb all the cost in one restaurant. A lot of independents don't have standardized menus. The serving size can vary depending upon how the cook feels that day. Different ingredients can be used in a salad from day to day depending upon what is available and cheap that day.

The more processed the food, the easier it is to generate accurate nutrition labels. Freshing prepared items are much harder to itemize. If I fix bacon and eggs and the eggs are fried in the bacon grease, how much bacon fat has to be included in the eggs nutrition label? The amount of grease left in the pan will not always be the same.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 21:23

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

Wow, that's nuts. I have never eaten any of those foods listed, but those totals are just insane. Man, the total for the cheese fries ALONE would be about 9 days worth of carbs for me!

Last edited by pengu1 : Mon, Dec-10-07 at 21:24. Reason: spelling
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 02:47

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Wish they'd been more consistent about always listing the carb counts, but at least they are paying attention to them.

The sodium alone would puff me up for weeks.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 08:28

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Carb fest!

It's gratifying to know that this influential magazine is beginning to understand the relation between lots of carbs and poor health! I am amazed but not completely shocked by the carb, calorie and sodium counts on these foods. We've known a long time that "processed" food isn't just stocked in the grocery store. Even shared, the starters are terrible.

I did look at the healthiest foods and I'm not surprised to see beets and cabbage as two top foods. Pickled cabbage, also known as sauerkraut, was taken on sea voyages to prevent scurvy. Full of vitamin C!! I am nosy at the grocery store and I do look into other people's grocery carts - lots of frozen stuff and boxed stuff but not a lot of fresh veggies. I'm almost the only one picking out bok choy and cabbage and peppers. Granted, it's winter and they are more expensive as fresh items but you cannot live on frozen veggies alone. Even just a bagged salad two or three times a week is a good idea.

So - just a question - why is this a "men's health" issue? Has anyone found similar information recently in a women's magazine???? Cheers!