Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 07:44

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I think a high carb diet can be healthy as long as it's low fat but mixing carbs and fat is where the problems start developing. I think the ornish program probably does help people who stick to it but not those who sneak ice cream and cookies. Same thing for atkins, it works if you don't cheat. It's the whole system that works, not just the individual foods that make up the system.

Anything we eat, if eaten to excess, causes problems.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...ce261c691e9f6ec
I have the full text if anyone is interested in reading it.
Quote:
Based on evidence reviewed here, it seems that prevalent
forms of metabolic syndrome and T2DM result from unremitting
caloric surplus complicated by failure of adipocytes
to maintain protection against lipotoxicity. If one imagines
the USA population to be unwitting volunteers in the
largest (300 million subjects) and longest (50 years) clinical
research project in history, the specific aim of which was to
determine if the deleterious effects of sustained caloric
surplus in rodents also can occur in humans, the outcome
of the project becomes clear – after 50 years of exposure to
an inexpensive calorie-dense diet high in fat and carbohydrates,
200 million subjects are overweight and >50
million have metabolic syndrome. The failure of healthcare
providers and pharmaceutical industries to contain the
pandemic suggests that elimination of ‘‘bargain basement’’
calories will be required to ‘‘price obesity out of the market’’.
Unfortunately, this would have profound socioeconomic
implications: how do we tax excessive calories while
at the same time guaranteeing sufficient access to high
quality foods for the underprivileged?

For most people switching to a low-carb diet stops or even reverses the "unremitting caloric surplus" without too much efforts. Plus the fact that you invariably start replacing crap by whole foods by going LC. This is what really prompts the amelioration of all health markers.

So "Why do lowfat vegans have good results?". Some do because low-fat is often synonymous with lower calories and whole foods. But as we can see by the anecdotes in this thread, low-fat by itself is no guaranty. It's the whole foods that makes them healthy, some of them eat low-fat vegan crap and they are not healthy at all. It's easy to overeat processed carbs to excess.

Patrick

Last edited by Valtor : Tue, Aug-03-10 at 07:49.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 09:04

Plan: no grain,no dairy
Stats: 224/190/180 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I think a high carb diet can be healthy as long as it's low fat but mixing carbs and fat is where the problems start developing. I think the ornish program probably does help people who stick to it but not those who sneak ice cream and cookies. Same thing for atkins, it works if you don't cheat. It's the whole system that works, not just the individual foods that make up the system.

oh please you have so much to learn we don't need carbs but we need fat and you need fat to burn fat. Our bodies can store way more fat than carbs so that's a great clue what to eat. The only way Ornish diet works is if you go there from a diet of soda, burgers and fries. Granted all diets work up to a point but the low fat diet is not sustainable at all
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad416
oh please you have so much to learn we don't need carbs but we need fat and you need fat to burn fat. Our bodies can store way more fat than carbs so that's a great clue what to eat. The only way Ornish diet works is if you go there from a diet of soda, burgers and fries. Granted all diets work up to a point but the low fat diet is not sustainable at all

What we need is water, proteins, vitamins, minerals and usable energy (whether fat, carbs, excess protein or even alcohol does not matter that much).

Patrick
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 14:47

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
What we need is water, proteins, vitamins, minerals and usable energy (whether fat, carbs, excess protein or even alcohol does not matter that much).

Patrick

Your brain is at least 50% saturated fat and your heart is surrounded by saturated fat for easy energy and your membranes are made of saturated fat and all of your organs are surrounded by fat for communication and protection .
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 18:26

BF:

Quote:
Your brain is at least 50% saturated fat and your heart is surrounded by saturated fat for easy energy and your membranes are made of saturated fat and all of your organs are surrounded by fat for communication and protection .

And our body can create all this saturated fat by itself from carbs and protein if it needs to. The only fats that we cannot create is Omega3 and Omega6. Omega 6 is already too high even in lean meats, so it's not a problem and we should all take Omega 3 supplements anyway. So I stand by what I said in my last post.

Patrick
  #156   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 07:38

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:

Reread my post, I didn't say you need carbs. Ornish has been successful and sustainable for some people and has been a disaster for others. Same with low carb, works for some but not for all. Of course you would say it's the best way to eat if it's working for you but not every person responds the same way to low-carb. Some people feel better, look better, have less cravings and lose weight easier on lower-fat, higher-carb. I don't think every diet works for every person and if you think it does then that is more like a religion than a simple eating plan you're following.
  #157   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-10, 07:41

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I've lost 22 pounds over the last few months after ADDING french fries to my lunch everyday. Sometimes it's all a mystery.
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 04:43

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
And our body can create all this saturated fat by itself from carbs and protein if it needs to. The only fats that we cannot create is Omega3 and Omega6. Omega 6 is already too high even in lean meats, so it's not a problem and we should all take Omega 3 supplements anyway. So I stand by what I said in my last post.

Patrick

I am not sure and this is what I vaguely remeember but supposedly the fat converted from carbs is the most simplistic fat which is palmitic acid which is also supposedly inflammatory. Also this fat doesn't build any tissues but is just stored for future energy expenditure. This would explain hunger after a carb heavy meal.

This is what we have to go through
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis
  #159   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 07:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Reread my post, I didn't say you need carbs. Ornish has been successful and sustainable for some people and has been a disaster for others. Same with low carb, works for some but not for all. Of course you would say it's the best way to eat if it's working for you but not every person responds the same way to low-carb. Some people feel better, look better, have less cravings and lose weight easier on lower-fat, higher-carb. I don't think every diet works for every person and if you think it does then that is more like a religion than a simple eating plan you're following.

Hallelujah The next big religious war will be between the carnivores and the vegans.
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 07:51

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

May I step in here for a moment? I don't know any vegans personally, but yesterday I was picking out a protien powder and this lady came up to me, in her mid 20's. She was telling me the pros and cons of each powder and wich one she likes the best(highest carb one). I picked the one without carbs and she told me its the best but clumpy. Ok, as she's walking away, she tells me she's a vegan. I still remember my first thought when she walked up to me, she was pail, not lack of sun pail either. She was also a little overweight, but she seemed to have energy and was happy to visit and explain everything to me. She actually SKIPPED back to her father and got there prescriptions filled.

I didn't think she looked healthy, besides the pail face, I couldn't pin point anything. She does take protien power though, she told me thats the only way for her to get the protien she needs.

Is the protien in the soy/veg powders different than animal protien? Do we process it differently? I am starting to believe we do. I am using my powder as a supplament, but I think the animals have it all!
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 08:07

BF:

Quote:
I am not sure and this is what I vaguely remeember but supposedly the fat converted from carbs is the most simplistic fat which is palmitic acid which is also supposedly inflammatory. Also this fat doesn't build any tissues but is just stored for future energy expenditure. This would explain hunger after a carb heavy meal.

This is what we have to go through
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

You are right, the fat from carbs' lipogenesis is not a good building block. However, fatty acids from cells turnover are mostly reused in the biosynthesis process.

Some readers might find this info relevant to our discussion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_membrane
Quote:
The cell membrane consists of three classes of amphipathic lipids: phospholipids, glycolipids, and cholesterols. The amount of each depends upon the type of cell, but in the majority of cases phospholipids are the most abundant.[5] In RBC studies, 30% of the plasma membrane is lipid.

The fatty chains in phospholipids and glycolipids usually contain an even number of carbon atoms, typically between 16 and 20. The 16- and 18-carbon fatty acids are the most common. Fatty acids may be saturated or unsaturated

Now regarding brain cells specifically.
http://www.benbest.com/health/essfat.html
Quote:
DHA and arachidonic acid are the predominant essential fatty acids in the human brain. Neurons cannot synthesize arachidonic acid, but astrocytes and cerebral epithelial cells have enzymes that can [synthesize arachidonic acid]...Fatty acids in human gray matter phosphatidylethanolamine is roughly 25% DHA, 25% stearic acid, 14% arachidonic and 12% oleic acid...

Also, even if someone would try to eat no fat at all in their diet, they would still get an intake of fat of about 10% by calories, which would not be used as energy and which if combined with enough Omega3 intake is enough for our body to function properly.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/08/06/fi...-response-html/
Denise Minger as shown good evidence that low-fat vegans have good results, not because they avoid animal products, but because their diet eliminates other health-harming items.

Patrick
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 10:52

BF:

Relevant review study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365984
Quote:
Eur J Clin Nutr. 1999 Apr;53 Suppl 1:S84-8; discussion S88-93.
Response to and range of acceptable fat intake in adults.

Jéquier E.

Institute of Physiology, University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
Abstract

Cellular energy metabolism depends on two main energy substrates: glucose and fatty acids. The major determinants of the fuel mix oxidized are glucose availability and insulin secretion that both promote glucose oxidation. Fatty acid oxidation occurs mainly when glucose availability is reduced, for instance during the postabsorptive period, or when energy expenditure is increased, for instance during exercise of long duration. When eucaloric diets with high carbohydrate and low fat content are ingested, de novo lipogenesis is stimulated in adults, but the rate of conversion of glucose to fatty acids is low, which means that carbohydrate intake does not have much influence on fat requirements. The lower limit of fat intake depends on three factors: the fat requirement to meet energy needs, the need for essential fatty acids, and the amount of fat in the diet that is necessary to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. The lower limit of fat intake to meet the energy needs of adults is assumed to be between 10 and 15% of dietary energy, provided that enough carbohydrates are available. For adults, the requirement for essential fatty acids is in the range of 3-5% of dietary energy for linoleic acid, and 0.5-1.0% of dietary energy for linolenic acid. Fat energy should not be below 10% of total energy intake in order to ensure an unrestricted absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, particularly vitamins A and E. The recommendations on upper limits of fat intake for adults must take into account the degree of physical activity. International recommendations indicate that active individuals in energy balance may consume up to 35% of their total energy intake as dietary fat, whereas sedentary individuals should not consume more than 30% of their energy from fat. Saturated fatty acids should not exceed 10% of the energy intake.

PMID: 10365984 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I don't know where they get the info for that last bolded part, I don't have the full text, but I'm pretty certain I do not agree with it. As long as someone does not chronically consume energy above their daily requirement and as long as they get proper protein intake, I don't see why our body would care if the rest comes from fat or carbs. So this upper limit is BS IMHO, but the lower limit is probably based on something more substantial.

Patrick
  #163   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 20:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The dietary fat that goes into structure isn't all "essential."

A common criticism of the low carb diet is that de novo fatty acid synthesis doesn't seem to be very active in humans, except in situations of extreme carbohydrate overfeeding. This is a straw man, carbs don't have to be made into fat to make you fat, they only have to prevent the oxidation of fat. Animals that naturally live on a high carb diet tend to be pretty good at synthesizing fat from carb; it's easy to measure in rodents, hard in man, although this may have more to do with rate of fat turnover than anything else.

But, given the difference in blood lipids between a very high fat diet and a very high carb diet, I think that it's fair to say that there is a very big difference in metabolism between the diets, and that there are important differences between the two that go far beyond considerations of vitamin absorption, essential fatty acids, and energy needs.

That bit about 30 or 35 percent fat intake depending on activity level is pretty hilarious. Good luck finding a study where that kind of difference had any sort of measurable effect on anybody.
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-10, 08:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Late to the party, but wanted to mention that I've never seen the low fat vegan lifestyle "work out."

Lierre Keith has written a whole book, The Vegetarian Myth, about how twenty years of vegan eating ruined her health.

The successful vegetarians I know aren't vegan. They eat eggs, or even fish, and consume dairy products, and thus avoid the serious health issues that arise from not consuming animal products, and their b vitamins and amino acids, at all.

I think the promotion of "healthy" vegan eating is propaganda, pure and simple. To me, the fact that vegetarians rely on very heavily processed food undercuts their health claims.
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-10, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Lierre Keith has written a whole book, The Vegetarian Myth, about how twenty years of vegan eating ruined her health.
my daughter is reading this book now and is speechless at how unhealthy vegans really are.. she now has learned that she could make a fortune counseling people on the hazards of Candida from eating carbohydrates and lack of animal protein.

she is working at being a Holistic doctor and hoping to steer people away from a diet lacking in animal protein and saturated fats.