Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 22:02

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Exclamation Tea Eggs, etc.

I just saw the post of Karen tea eggs recipe. It looks like a similar recipe my mother in law uses.

Her family is from Shanghai and she adapted this to be cooked during the day in a crock pot so you will come home to a wonderful aroma and once the eggs are cooled, it lasts for about 10 days in the fridge.

After the initial cooking and cooling of the eggs, add the star anise, soy sauce , etc. with HOT BOILING WATER just covered the eggs. Add a dash of sesame oil and turn your crock pot on high. To save cleaning up, my mother in law uses 2 Tetley Orange Pekoe Tea bags.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 01:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The recipe is a fairly traditional Chinese one, with my own flourish of orange scented tea for an extra boost of flavour. I think tea eggs are great, since it's nice to have some type of quick snack ready. There is another slow cooked egg dish from the Middle-East called Hamine Eggs. The eggs are cooked with onion skins which turns the whites a creamy beige. I think I'll fool around with it next...

The crock pot and tea bags are a great idea. The tea could also be put into a tea ball or wrapped in cheesecloth. I've been thinking of getting a crock-pot for days when I'm feeling culinarily challenged! They seem so easy to use.

Sarlye, since you live in Vancouver, why don't you join us in Sunday?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 11:05

BF:
Question I thought I was coming already

Karen: I posted to the BBQ thread on page 3 that my dh and I are coming on Sun? Your dogs don't bite and jump on people? I am terrify of them (I was bitten when I was small) but I am working on my fear slowly. My dh is allergic so we will both be on antihistamine.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 13:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's great! Sorry I missed it. I'll update the list and re-post it.

I was bitten by a German Shepherd as a child and couldn't stand them for years. Now, I enjoy almost all dogs!

One of the dogs is rather friendly and enthusiastic. She gets excited when people come over as she is quite a party dog. I'll put her on a leash to make sure she doesn't jump on you when you come over. She loves humans! Once everyone has settled down, she settles down and picks a human to rest her head on. The other is fairly subdued. They have never bitten anyone.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 20:57

BF:

Thanks for your kind response and consideration.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-01, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Red face Dogs

Hi Sarlye, Karen , Everyone

I empathise Sarlye. I'm afraid of dogs too. I've tried for years to get past this fear and even helped other people get over their fear without getting over mine !!

When my niece (now a pretty young lady) was a tiny tot she was terrified of my neighbour's dog. Unfortunately some days she had to get past the dog to come in or go out. With both Aunty and niece terrified we had some unforgettable moments. Then one day with a fixed grin on my face and my heart in my mouth I patted the dog to show my little niece he was j u s t f i n e and would not hurt her. She was fine after that and even became the dog's friend.

Now Aunty has to fend off her niece's dog who just llllllllloves to jump on me and lick me till I'm screaming for mercy. LOL.

Take care.
fiona