Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/294/175 Male 70'
BF:
Progress:

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 10:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You are welcome, and don't be so hard on yourself. You have only been on Atkins 5 1/2 weeks and have already reduced your insulin 65%! You are still taking other meds that impact weight loss. Your BP looks good too...check out this info on alternate ways to improve. http://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure Give your body time to heal and for whatever plan you choose time to work. (Not that I oppose zero-carb, 20g is about there )
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-15, 10:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

It's about a week later since we spoke and some headway was made at my end. Last week I lost 2.3 lbs on the 10 carb limit on induction. After a weeks worth of research on line as per your direction I seem to moving in the right direction, let's see what the new week brings. Please keep in touch, I learn some thing new every time we speak.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-15, 11:57

Great news, Thomas! In just one week, you lost in pounds close to the amount in four weeks of induction. Good progress but More importantly, did you reduce your insulin dose even more? How are the blood sugars and BP? Call your doctor between appointments to ask if you can reduce any meds with your latest readings, show how dedicated you are to reversing diabetes through diet and wanting to get off insulin. Did you dig into the brand new Diabetes educator website, https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com Just that one will keep you busy for another week and we all in NC enjoy Steve Cooksey. http://www.diabetes-warrior.net Keep reading and join in any of the diabetes threads.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-15, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

My Bp is avg around 118/67 - blood sugars 85 to 101 - and insulin down to 50 units 2 times daily, so my total insulin consumption is down by over 70%.Not bad, now if I could only handle the weight problem I'd be in high cotton.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

JEY100, are you still out there?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 05:22

Hi Thomas,
I am usually on this forum everyday in the early morning. How are you doing after another week?

You can find my posts by clicking on my user name and seeing a list of them, profile, etc. This is the Introduction section, so after you have posted here, please look around the other sections to find threads that interest you, or ask your own questions. Enter the website from this index page to see all the sections at once, suggest bookmarking this link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php?

The Diabetes forum has many useful threads for you, active at the moment is Dr. Jason Fung's protocol to add some fasting to a low carb diet to reduce Insulin Resistance. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

And I am really enjoying all the new information and short articles posted by the Low Carb RN. https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com
Keep focused on getting off the meds that are slowing weight loss. Those last numbers look great!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 12:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hi Thomas, I'm just your age, and I'm impressed with your results in such a short period of time. I'm guessing from your posts that you also can be categorized as a Type A personality in that you expect to take actions and get results ASAP! I can relate. Since this is truly a journey, it takes a bit of time for results to manifest themselves and for you to become resolute that what you're doing is the right approach for you. I wanted to lose weight immediately, but what happened when I became very serious about LCHFKD (KD being Ketogenic Diet) in June of 2014 was a complete change in mental clarity, extremely positive blood lipid marker results, the ability to wean myself off of high blood pressure meds working closely with my doctor, and ultimately losing about 30 pounds. As mentioned by others, some diabetes and HBP meds (beta blockers) can slow weight loss, but I can attest to the fact that they can't stop it! Shedding weight for me has come in phases, and I'm now comfortable with that, as I know what to do to get where I need to be. Fact is I was pre-diabetic and the fortune is that my desire to lose weight and gain health has me now off of any path towards T2 diabetes. Yes, I now have a way of eating that I will embrace for the long term, but I'm completely adapted and can stay consistent whether I'm on business travel, at social events, or any number of scenarios where food is presented. I now think this lifestyle is easy (never would have thought that in the beginning) and the reward for this is constant positive feedback from day-to-day living.

You've received some excellent advice on this thread, so I can't add anything else other than to say enjoy the journey. The rewards are there for you!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 16:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

First of all let me say "thank you" for your response and guidance in what now I'm starting to realize that this truly is a journey for me. In the last several weeks through these health blogs I'm learning so very much about LCHFKD and how to lower my need for insulin and BP meds. As you suggested, I'm working in concert with my VA doctor and his support staff in lowering my dependence on insulin. At present it's working quite well since I lowered my insulin consumption by 85%.All because of the LCHFKD that everyone seem to turn me on to. But, only time will tell. I'll tell you one thing that I've learned - PATIENCE! Thank you.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 21:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 288/235/160 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default water and exercise?

Have you gone back to the book?
He talks about what to do if you plateau. Do you check your urine for ketones?
I found that be checking several times a day, I could tell when I decreased or stopped my ketones and could use that info to do better.
Are you exercising? Drinking enough water? Just by the letter doesn't give enough info to offer much helpful advice....
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 04:35

After being in ketosis more than a few weeks, and Thomas is being on a LCHFKD less than 30g, the type of ketones possibly spilled into the urine changes and may no longer register on a strip. The strips may be helpful for some at the start, but here is more info on the three types of ketones with reasons why they may/may not show up later on. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=463436

Thomas, Glad to see you continue to do so well reducing your insulin dose! It must be rather tiny by now. Great that the VA system is supporting your goal to get off these meds and continue on your journey to good health. Just curious, do you have a Diabetes Educator there who advises (or at least doesn't oppose) a low carb approach to diabetes? You can continue to post here, or as before, feel free to join in any of the threads in the Diabetes forum or elsewhere.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-03-15 at 05:12.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 14:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I drink 64 oz of water daily, and I go to the gym 3x a week in the pool and do 240 minutes of water aerobics weekly. As far as checking my ketone levels, I do it in the morning right after the gym, in the afternoon right after lunch, and in the evening right after dinner and all I get is a " trace " reading. But I no longer have a problem with being on a plateau. I've lost 3.5 pounds last week and 4 pounds this week, so I think I'm back to losing again.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 15:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

They say that they are in favor of a lchfkd, but the expression on their faces when we discuss it says something else. They seem to work with me closely as it pertains my health,and theirs no arguing with my results. So they say to me "just keep on doing what your doing because its working" Go figure -
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-04-15, 04:18

That sounds like a helpful "hands off" approach, rare for a government agency. yes, yes it IS working! Four pounds a week is fantastic. Don't expect weight loss to be linear, but without the meds that were likely blocking it, you can expect steady results. Btw, update your profile often (go to User CP in green bar above) and share and celebrate your "current weight".

Since you are well established in ketosis now, you will likely only get a "trace" of acetoacetate on the urine sticks no matter what time or day it is...kinda boring results It is mostly beta-hydroxybutyrate now, which you could test with a blood meter, but if you are losing weight, have BG under control and feeling fine that really all you need to know. Great news, Thomas...keep it up
  #30   ^
Old Tue, May-05-15, 09:45
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the help JEY100.