Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-00, 19:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Question

Hi Karen,

Any plans for new classes?

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 00:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Wink Next Class

I'll see if the Bay Downtown has any interest in January and February. I may even be inspired to do a small one out of my home if there is any interest. ;-)

BTW, I guess you can take the old info on classes off the site.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 01:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Sounds great. How about making it some sort of a potluck at the same time, we bring our goodies, and follow how you make yours! Was talking to Rachel about a potlucka a while ago. Can be done seperately as well, but thought I'd mention it.

I plan on keeping the calendar page a scroll page, where new event push the others downward. We can remove past events but I think some might find it interesting to see things that have taken place.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-00, 10:13
Forum Founder

BF:
Thumbs up Potluck

A pre-christmas potluck would be good! I'll make dessert. We should discuss it over dinner on Sunday.

You are probably right about keeping old events. It will show the world what a diverse and interesting group we are. ;-)

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-00, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Talking potlucks? new classes?

Had lunch (Spinnakers Brew Pub, Microbrewery and restaurant/shop, well-regarded here in Victoria, you MAY have heard of it, often featured in EAT....) with 2 of my 'regular' Ladies Who LC Lunch grouplet today. A marvelous curry-ginger-pumpkin soup with no thickeners and wonderful flavour (but I digress <grin>).

They were both agog at news of your classes, Karen, and were wistful ... as am I ... that we couldn't possibly make a Wednesday in Vancouver, and be stretching to make a weekend night.

I'm hopeful for the (distant?) future however, and (wistful again, perhaps) the thought was expressed that you might sometime be able to do such a thing here. Hmmmmmmm. Rogers' community cable has a spiffy cooking show, didn't I see the teutonic fellow from the Metropolitan on there once? Pacific something or other.

Anyway, I reminded them both that they should make time to sign in to the Forum (both work FT and spend way too much time on computers to regard it as entertainment as yet, but I hope to convert them; after all, I do the same!) and check out the Events etc.

Just wanted to let you know they were agog with your recipes, Karen, very impressed, and someday we just might have enough traffic in LC to arrange some such thing as you visiting Victoria or having a class over here?? Sigh, wistful again. I'm *such* a wannabe chef, and the ferries/water are *such* a pain in the butt.

Surely if I can manage it, I will be over there in the relatively near future (probably lots of notice) and come to slaver over the menu, or have lunch with you lot, as well as trundle around doing businessy things. All dependent on the orders coming in. Not bad for first week up on the web, but a ton of work yet to do. I'm rambling !LOL!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-00, 18:51
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: potlucks? new classes?

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Had lunch (Spinnakers Brew Pub, Microbrewery and restaurant/shop, well-regarded here in Victoria, you MAY have heard of it, often featured in EAT....) with 2 of my 'regular' Ladies Who LC Lunch grouplet today.

I'm hopeful for the (distant?) future however, and (wistful again, perhaps) the thought was expressed that you might sometime be able to do such a thing here.

Hi Judi,

I've been to Spinnakers and like it a lot. One place I used to enjoy was Ian's Jubilee Restaurant, for the holiness factor. Without the bun and gravy, his turkey burger would be the perfect low-carb meal. It's a hamburger with turkey, bacon and cheese! He makes his own doughnuts too, but that is a now taboo.

As far as I know, there is no venue for cooking classes in Victoria. There used to be a kitchenware shop on Oak Bay --I think it was--that hosted classes, but it is no longer there.

How is that NotStarch stuff? I use guar gum in hot chocolate occasionally, but I think the texture is a bit weird. My thoughts are on Christmas gravy and gluing the filling for tourtiere together.

Karen