Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 19:41

Plan: Lots of milk+milk protein
Stats: 27.2/14.5/09.0 Male model, 6'1"
BF:lbs:237/200/212
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
I am not bragging when I say that I am a bit above the average intelligence
I suffer from that as well
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 20:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Most people consider themselves above average intelligence.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 20:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Chocolate, 100% unsweetened, is ~50% carbs.
That is incorrect. Chocolate is about 19% carbs of which about 45% is fiber. Where did you get the 50% from? My numbers come from the USDA database for unsweetened chocolate.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 21:26

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I eat butter, of course. Mayo is normally made with unsat veg oils and is high in salt. If you like the stuff, which I do, you should make your own from egg yolks, macadamia oil and lemon juice.

TheBear,
hi again! Could you tell me exactly how to make mayo? How much of everything do i put in? is raw egg yolk safe or do you cook it. i never made mayo before so sorry if i sound like a dunce! I would love to make my own mayo instead of using hellmans which seems to have sugar in it..thanks.

Also, i dont buy organic meat, its too expensive. Thanks for sharing about the meat, now i dont have to save all my pennies to try and buy organic, which is what i was hoping to do someday!

I know this is a lot to ask, but would you mind posting..besides meat, poultry and fish..everything that is in your diet?? i am seriously interested in your ideas!! I would love to see a weekly menu of yours too! lol thanks alot!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-06, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: neanderthin
Stats: 200/183/165 Male 5ft 10inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

foxgluvs,

The cayenne tea idea comes from a book written by Dr. John Christopher titled "School of Natural Healing". He has some amazing formulas in there that are quite effective. Cayenne is one of his favorites and especially good for the heart. If you ever get tightness in your chest after a stressful day mix a quarter teaspoon of medicinal cayenne (90,000) in half a cup of hot water and sip, it can't hurt you. Your mouth will feel like its on fire but your chest will feel better right away. If you google it you will come up with some interesting sites.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 01:05

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hmmm.

'Swallow'? 'Thesis'? Nothing I have written constitutes a 'thesis' (perhaps you meant theorum), it is a recount of life experiences and references to fact.

I guess that the term 'swallow' is humorously related to the subject matter....

Sorry about that, duparc, but my website is NOT commercial in any sense of the word, it is partly a virtual gallery and show site for my art past and present, my music and an online venue for exposing some of my philosophical thoughts to those who are interested. I do not offer anything for sale anywhere on the site. I am at a loss as to what you define as 'commercial'.

'We on this site', Are you the moderator? Did you poll everyone and find that to be the case, or are you just trying to look important. I suggest you not go there. A low carb diet is what my eating regime is, it is one of the obvious end-points on the scale. Judging by the response, your attitude is in the minority.

I am not interested in attempting to justify any 'long term benefits', I simply am sharing my 47 years of experience with a very effective and healthy diet.

'Predates'? On the contrary, my diet was based on a large body of life experiences, knowledge and research by experts such as Richard Macarness, MD, and Dr Viljhalmur Stefansson- who as is well known was a subject with Dr Anderson in a year long closely monitored all meat diet in 1928 at the Mayo clinic in NYC, which, if you are 75, is prior to your birth. I am definitely not 'stepping outside any social convention'. I would really like to hear just what that term means to you! I guess this sort of information has put your social food-training and concepts under threat. I am sorry, but I can't help you with it.

Finally, although YOU may indeed be guessing (and for that matter, what you define as 'being in good shape' and mine may be miles apart), nothing I have written in my posts or on my site is a 'guess', it is all verifiable fact. I do not deal in guesses nor belief systems.

What has arithmetic to do with dietary fixation?

dodger- The usual grade of 'cooking/baking' chocolate you find on grocery shelves in the US (USDA) may indeed be as you state, but fine qualilty, European 100% chocolate and high fat cocoa is 40 to 50% carbohydrate, as is shown on the label. Try Belgian Callibrot if you can find it, for a real choc treat. Just be mindful of the carbs-

jandlsmom- I eat anything which is not a vegetable or contains carbohydrates, like milk or yoghurt. Thus any animal will do, and all cheeses- watch the label on cottage cheese, however many kinds have a lot of lactose residue. Menus? actually I don't bother, I just buy what strikes me at the market and if I happen to wind up eating the same cut of meat for days, weeks or months, like finding a great discounted/wholesale special price on whole cryovac'd sirloin strip steak, it does not bother me. Heavy reliance on 'variety' is connected with vegetation, even heavily addicted people cannot stand to eat the same one over and over.

I enjoy cooking, been at it since age 12. So, rather than menus, how about a recipe I developed?

Try this: A large chicken, 4-5 lbs (2.2+ kg). Carefully separate the skin from the meat by passing your hand gently through the evisceration opening in the abdomen- try not to tear the skin.. Make a mixture of 4 oz (100gm) of unsalted butter and the same amount of Philly cream cheese. Mix spices, like curry or chilli powder, 2 teaspoons with the softened (not too soft) cheese and butter to make a uniform paste- I like a spice mix used in Argentina, called Chimi Churi- a spice preparation which I buy here in Oz from Peter Watson in Melbourne Vic. But it is not required what spices you use, try different mixtures. Using a spoon, place the mix through the opening, some on each side, and squeeze it out between the skin and meat to form a thickness of 1/8" (3mm). Take the last bit and smear it over the skin, place on a rack over a pan in a 350F (180C) oven, preferably a fan-circulating one, and roast for 60-70 min. It is hard to stop eating this bird. The drippings make a wonderful gravy. I like this style of chook so much that I often roast two birds at once- two people can completely devastate one between them.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 01:22

BF:
Progress:

Opps, almost forgot:

How to make mayo- basic instructions may be found in any good basic cookbook, like Joy of Cooking, etc. Use raw egg yolks, beaten well. The oil is slowly drizzeled in while vigorously stirring. I don't add any salt, but add a bit of lemon juice. The right ratio of egg yolks to oil has to be found by experiment, to produce a nice texture. It is a bit tricky, so don't give up if your first attempt is not what you expect.

The only good veg oils are palm, coconut and macadamia nut- but only mac is easy to use in mayo, although if you can get a fine quality of palm it may be worth a try. Coconut has too high a melting point. Mac oil gives mayo a nice nutty flavour.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 02:22

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

TheBear,
thanks for the mayo recipe and explaining about the good oils. what about olive oil? you didnt mention it. Do you think it is a bad oil for some reason? If so, could you tell me why?

Thanks also for the chicken recipe, that does sound really yummy. I have a whole chicken in my freezer now. I will try it and let ya know how it turns out!

I forgot to ask...do you eat eggs? If so, how often? thanks
*editing because i just realized how stupid of a question that is considering you just gave me a mayo recipe with raw egg in it! oops! So just answer the second part, how often and how many eggs? I have been eating lots of eggs. I love them boiled, poached, fried, hard boiled, yummy!
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 02:45

BF:
Progress:

Ok, jandlsmom- but please read carefully my earlier posts and my essays, I think most of your questions have already been seen to.

Eggs are very good food- but not if hard cooked, which denatures the protein. Don't eat raw eggwhite, it has an antivitamin, avidin (antibiotin). I can eat a dozen eggs a day, easy.

Olive oil has a lot of poly-unsats- has a strong, not very pleasant taste, as well. Mac oil is mostly mono-ok, if not in large amounts, and tastes great. Good for frying fish, too. Palm and coconut are both saturated and therefore very good food unlike the rest of the veg oils, which are best avoided.

Smart thing is to stick to animal fat, which is the perfect fuel our body was 'designed' to use (saturated triglycerides are the kind of fat you store). High cuisine was traditionally based on beef tallow, lard and butter, vegetable oils used were few and put mostly on salads. What do you put mayo on? I can find few things other than cold chicken or fish on which it can be used- it is something put on vegetables, bread (andwiches) etc., which are not a part of my diet. I have not used much mayo in a long time. Last major use was for canned tuna, but i gave that away. I think egg 'salad' is about it.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 04:25

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

'Bear' If you fail to understand to what I am alluding then why attempt to answer? I was wrong about the commercial aspect of your Web site but if you are not selling per se then what is its true purpose; merely a shop window? How does IQ connect to the authenticity of your statements? To throw-in my 2 cents worth, when last measured my IQ rating fell within the top 2% of the male population; so what? I too was aware of the research done by Dr Richard Mackarness and the writings of the others but I don't buy your tale that as a young man in your early twenties (which was prior to the publication of Mackarness's research findings) that you were sufficiently impressed nor motivated to commit yourself to being a martyr to the cause of low-carbing, the term, which was not then coined. Do try pulling the other leg, it has bigger bells on it!

Last edited by Duparc : Mon, Feb-27-06 at 15:00.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 08:14

Plan: Lots of milk+milk protein
Stats: 27.2/14.5/09.0 Male model, 6'1"
BF:lbs:237/200/212
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duparc
when last measured my IQ rating fell within the top 2% of the male population
Oh, no! It's contagious!
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 08:47

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I'm with Frederick. Veggies are vile.

I'm a super taster too.

However, there is something about lots of butter and a little salt that moderates the bitterness better than anything else I've tried for asparagus and broccoli.

I've given up trying to eat the Atkins recommended amount of veggies. I just can't eat that much, and it turns me off the rest of my food. I was starting to skip meals because eating a meal meant eating yet another vile vegetable.

Oddly enough, I don't feel better when I eat them either. They may contain nutrition, but I find that eating them just bulks my belly up for a while, but I'm hungry very soon after.

I'm concentrating on eating what I don't hate, and getting in regular doses of berries for their high nutrient levels.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/180/125 Female 5'2"
BF:to much
Progress: 27%

Amazing Post!

Thanks Bear!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:41%/33.2%/20
Progress: 75%

I really cannot say meat and fats are all mankind is supposed to eat. For one, I LOVE vegetables. Absolutely adore them and love they way they taste, feel and smell. Working the dirt and being out in the sun to tend to the plants, whether planted or growing wild, is a very nurturing activity for me and my family.

Secondly, though, I am a creationist and my spritual practice has always gone back to the original design of man is vegetation, not killing an animal for food.
That came later.

But I am sure open to looking at your website and hearing your views and experience. I just see it quite differently.

Also, my babies love vegetables as well. they sit at the counter with me and love to watch me slice and dice and they ask for things like peppers and cauliflower and broccoli.
So far mushrooms and onions are about all they dont like.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-06, 12:58
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm another meat & fat person. I feel best when I have no fruit or veggies. More energy, and no puffiness or gassiness in the tummy.

The only way I like veggies anyway is if I heavily flavor them with butter, salt & pepper, mayo, lemon, cheese, etc. Otherwise, they are just too blah. The veggies and fruit that we have available these days seem so fake to me. I feel like I'm eating cardboard or something. I think the soils they are grown on are so stripped that there can't possibly be much nutrition in them. And they are engineered such that they seem totally unnatural to me.

I find that for me, when I don't eat grain or much in the way of dairy products, there is no need for fiber. It seems that fiber is just there to scrub out some of the glue in the intestines that is deposited there by grain and dairy.

I eat as much grass-fed meat as I can get. There's no way I'd touch the meat from a regular grocery store. As a second choice, I get organic meat from the HFS. It seems that at least organic cows are raised humanely and caringly for the most part - I think that has something to do with it for me. And I certainly feel better not getting the antibiotics and hormones.

BawdyWench, your comments in your last post here made me think of my friend who is hypoglycemic. She cannot have her carbs too low or her energy drops, she can't sleep, and she even has nightmares where she screams out. I do think certain people, for whatever reason, need more carbs, and the very low or no-carb WOE is not for everyone.

This thread is so refreshingly welcome! I have been hanging out in the Meat & Egg Fast thread in the Triple Digits Club forum where there is also some discussion about how this WOE is very healthy. I always have this little nagging thought, however, that doing without produce can't possibly be healthy in the long-term (can it?). It would be nice to put this issue to rest within my mind, once and for all. This thread is certainly helping me do that for myself.
Closed Thread