Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 06:36
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
...I luv boards games. Monopoly, scrabble, and sorry some of my favorites. Sadly the grands have so much electronic products they would find them boring!
When we have down days at school, I'll take out board games to play with my students. They just love Boggle and Scrabble. I try to keep it more on the educational side. Too many of them have never played board games... it's rather sad...
Quote:
I got in from Up north late last night. I missed fireworks here but seen them up North!
Glad to hear that you made it home safe and sound Monday night!

Last edited by Just Jo : Wed, Jul-06-16 at 06:36. Reason: Option F: Fixin' Flippin' typos ~ as usual! Pfffffffffft!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 07:28
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Cut Carbs, Quit Sugar, Feel Fabulous... a reposty!

Something I want to share with all the HC A '72 Warriors...

Read the article that esw quotes below, I think it's well worth your time!

Original Thread created by esw:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...933#post9138933
Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
Interesting article on new book here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...lly-simple.html

Growing evidence can't be ignored!
My response to esw's posting:
Quote:
Thanks for posting this, esw!

It's wonderful to see more and more articles supporting what we already know! I loved the "Are you a Sugar Addict" Test; I'd personally rename that "Are You a Carb Addict" b/c to me the same questions would apply.

And yeah as "Fat Jo" I would have answered more than 5 of the questions with a resounding "YES"... But I knew I would, eh?

Imma gonna repost this in my journal for safe-keeping and to review at my leisure again!

Thanks!
Are You a Sugar Addict? Test I seriously think we can substitute CARB Addict!
Quote:
Answer honestly yes or no to the following questions...

1. Can you eat sweet, starchy or fatty foods until you are over-full?

2. Do you feel hungry even after eating a full meal?

3. Can you eat large quantities of sweets or stodgy foods even when you’re not feeling particularly hungry?

4. Do you ever feel ashamed (self-loathing, disgusted or depressed) about your eating habits?

5. Do you ever turn to sugar when you are feeling down or upset?

6. When things are bad, do you find you need more and more sweet foods to feel better?

7. Do you plan to eat a small portion (such as one biscuit), but end up binge-eating (demolishing the whole packet)?

8. Do you find starchy, sweet or fatty foods the most difficult to cut back on?

9. Do you find it difficult to stop once you start eating starches, snack foods, junk foods or sweets?

10. Are your eating habits having an impact on your social life, work or physical abilities?

11. Do you find impossible to stick to healthy-eating resolutions?

12. Do you feel you need to (have to) have something sweet after lunch or dinner?

13. Do you eat sweets and chocolates secretly and hide the wrappers because you don’t want anyone to know?

14. If you cut yourself one piece of cake, do you then find yourself coming back for more and more?

15. Do you get a foggy head after big meals (or mid-afternoon)?

If you answered ‘yes’ to five or more of these questions, you could be a sugar addict.

Last edited by Just Jo : Wed, Jul-06-16 at 08:52. Reason: Adding #s to the questions! HA!
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 08:13

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

HAPPY HUMP DAY ALL...

I have to mention a few more board games our family likes:

Balderdash
Tripoley
Apples to Apples
Yahtzee

We played Apples to Apples on our last vacation when the family came up to the lake house. It was a lot of fun, we had 4 adults and 2 school age children playing it. Growing up my family played Tripoley (it's a poker board game) when we weren't playing scrabble. The granddaughters like to play Hangman with me, you just need paper and pencil for that one.

My family grew up with board games, my kids and now grandkids. It's better than sitting around watching tv together. Fun and interactive! There are some electronic games that can be fun on The Wee...like bowling...that's fun for a group.

Bacon is cooking, so bacon and eggs today and chicken with salad tonight. I eat twice a day, no snacking. Coffee, water, diet soda in between eating. I won't eat this early, will feed grandkids and save some bacon for when I eat later.

Everyone have a great OP day
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 08:29
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
HAPPY HUMP DAY ALL...
Happy Hump Day to you too, De!
Quote:
I have to mention a few more board games our family likes:

Balderdash
Tripoley
Apples to Apples
Yahtzee

We played Apples to Apples on our last vacation when the family came up to the lake house. It was a lot of fun, we had 4 adults and 2 school age children playing it. Growing up my family played Tripoley (it's a poker board game) when we weren't playing scrabble. The granddaughters like to play Hangman with me, you just need paper and pencil for that one.

My family grew up with board games, my kids and now grandkids. It's better than sitting around watching tv together. Fun and interactive! There are some electronic games that can be fun on The Wee...like bowling...that's fun for a group.
Yep, I love the fun and interactive part of playing board or card games with family & friends.
Quote:
Bacon is cooking, so bacon and eggs today and chicken with salad tonight. I eat twice a day, no snacking. Coffee, water, diet soda in between eating. I won't eat this early, will feed grandkids and save some bacon for when I eat later.
Sounds like you have the perfect 100% OP day planned, girlie! WTG!
Quote:
Everyone have a great OP day
You betcha! That's what makes us all HC A '72 Warriors!

#80   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 08:46
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

I took the "Are You a Sugar Addict" Test and there were 2 questions where "Fat Jo" answered "NO":

6. When things are bad, do you find you need more and more sweet foods to feel better?

And the reason "Fat Jo" said NO was b/c she could eat happy or sad ~ she NEVER needed a bloomin' reason to eat those horribly addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killer carb-age foods, EVER.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 08:55

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
I took the "Are You a Sugar Addict" Test and there were 2 questions where "Fat Jo" answered "NO":

And the reason "Fat Jo" said NO was b/c she could eat happy or sad ~ she NEVER needed a bloomin' reason to eat those horribly addictive, insidiously toxic, poisonous killer carb-age foods, EVER.

Agree...my chubster self could eat any time, no rhyme or reason. I was mostly a grazer as opposed to a binger, I would say...Just a little here and there won't hurt, right? WRONG!!!! A little here and there of bad carbs turns into a whole lot of FAT.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 09:04
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Agree...my chubster self could eat any time, no rhyme or reason. I was mostly a grazer as opposed to a binger, I would say...Just a little here and there won't hurt, right? WRONG!!!! A little here and there of bad carbs turns into a whole lot of FAT.
I hear what you're saying, De! I was a grazer too as well as a binge-er, Holy Hannah!

We've come a LONG way, baby! Woot! Woot!

#83   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 09:25

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello warriors,

Bad storms here in the Midwest we lost power😰😱.

So I had to go into work to finish day. Then meet DD she has no electricity either. Going to take the kids to the tree house fun place since it is hot and steamy here!
Did the carb addict test Yepper all yes for me definitely a binger!

Have a wonderful day warriors and take care 😀👍
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 09:53
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Hello warriors,

Bad storms here in the Midwest we lost power😰😱.

So I had to go into work to finish day. Then meet DD she has no electricity either. Going to take the kids to the tree house fun place since it is hot and steamy here!
Did the carb addict test Yepper all yes for me definitely a binger!

Have a wonderful day warriors and take care 😀👍
Wow huge bummer about the bad weather! MickiSue was talking about that in her journal today too!

Hope you all weren't w/o electricity long!

Sounds like you have a wonderful day planned for the grands! I know they'll have fun!

I guess we wouldn't be here if we could answer LESS than 5 of the questions with YES, huh?

Doesn't really matter!

We KNOW what we must DO to be successful NOW so it's all good in my book!!!!
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/174/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
We call ourselves "Hard Core" because we are a group of like-minded people with the same philosophy about losing weight.
We are following A '72 Induction until we reach our GOAL WEIGHT without CHEATING!
Some of us will remain at Induction level carbs even in maintenance because we are that carb sensitive!

HARD CORE A '72 Warrior "MAINTAINERS"

(made desire Goal weight or below):

Bernie2014 125 lbs (as of 07 December 2015)
DelaneyLC 143 lbs (as of 03 January 2016)
Just Jo 114 lbs as of 25 April 2016 (130 lbs as of 10 March 2014)

I hope that everyone has a stellar rest of 2016 with all of the Warriors making their desired goal weights so that we can all work on our MIM (Masters in Maintenance) together!!

We will be Warrior members of TEAM 5%!

Hello warriors,

I'm interested in moving to the original Atkins after remaining a month and a half in ketosis without losing weight on the revised Atkins. I'm not clear on the acceptable carb count for induction: 0? Is that net carbs? Are you all still limiting yourselves to induction veggies?

Thanks !
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 16:29

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi there warriors, had family drama yesterday. I did feel myself wanting to sink into the carb pit. I found out something interesting about myself, that I am an emotional eater. Today everyone has calmed down. I don't think I could take another day like yesterday.

I ate OP but boy I wanted the carbs. After adding it all up I did very well, Crisis averted. I would have had the family drama plus all the problems too many carbs would bring to deal with if I would have given in.

Did the sugar addict test, yes to all of it but I don't allow myself to get derailed. My former self could identify with all of the questions.

I remember the bad storms of the midwest. Even a few tornados. Hope everything goes back to normal real soon for you Bernie.

I'm reading about a Dr who stayed on a carb controlled diet for half his life. But he stayed on a 75 carbs per day regiment. That would have never worked for me. I remember one day I happened to consume 35 carbs after doing KETO for several months. Between my digestive system and my racing heart I got a wake up call. I need to keep it as close to zero as I can get it. But if that works for him that's good.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day;

Blessings and Peace;
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-16, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72 Induction
Stats: 284/180/145 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hello Everyone – Hope you all had a great holiday on the fourth!

I haven’t been on here for a while because I went into a deep depression and went totally off program. It got so bad I was buying anywhere from 16-24 big cream-filled frosted donuts at our local Tim Horton’s coffee shop and that’s what I ate all day. I had ballooned up to 284 lbs. – I could hardly move enough to get in the car, couldn’t fit in the bathtub, and was pretty much lying down all day because of the pain in my back and knees. I figured that my obituary was going to read “Death by Donuts,” and so help me, I didn’t care!

Anyway, my son insisted I get help, and I was referred to a psychiatrist who put me on new medications and I’ve been feeling so much better that I knew I could tackle the weight problem again. I’ve been back on Atkins ’72 induction now for about 4-1/2 months and my weight has gone down to 242 lbs. No cheating at all – not once!

As part of my treatment, my psychiatrist insisted that I go to a dietician to get my binge eating under control, and the trouble is the dietician doesn’t even want to hear about the Atkins diet – not even the new one. I’ve had blood tests done and they show that my blood sugars and cholesterol levels are fine and she is still trying to get me to add brown rice, whole wheat bread and berries to my diet. My family doctor has no problem with Atkins, so I may have to ask her to send a letter to my psychiatrist asking him to back off on the dietician. We’ll see what happens.

In the meantime, I’ve been invited to a family graduation party for my granddaughter who is going to university in the fall, and I’ve told them I’ll come if I can bring my own food! Sorry this is so long – I’m just venting a bit here.

Hope everybody in the group is doing well and the weather doesn’t get too bad out there in the Midwest! Namaste.

PS I read the article mentioned above, and could answer Yes to almost all the questions - a sugar addict I yam I yam for sure!

Last edited by leahmaria : Wed, Jul-06-16 at 20:15.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-16, 05:47
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpl16
Hello warriors,

I'm interested in moving to the original Atkins after remaining a month and a half in ketosis without losing weight on the revised Atkins. I'm not clear on the acceptable carb count for induction: 0? Is that net carbs? Are you all still limiting yourselves to induction veggies?

Thanks !
Hello and Welcome, Mpl!

If you go back to the first page of this thread and the second post, there's a link called Induction Rules, Foods List, DR No No's & Other Notes. It has the Acceptable Foods List for A '72 Induction.

In A '72 we count actual carbs, not NET carbs since those of us following this incredible LC Woe suffer from a very screwed-up carb metabolic processing disorder and can not tolerate many carbs at all. Induction level carbs are considered "biologically the equivalent of zero". We all stick to Induction level carbs, even those of us in maintenance.

Biologically Zero Carbs: Diet Revolution 1972 pg 102
Quote:
"...Where you start the diet, of course, is with a daily intake of zero grams of carbohydrate. Although we allow salad on the diet from the start, and lettuce has carbohydrate in it, the amount it contains is so minute as to be biologically the equivalent of zero."
Since my re-start 3 years ago, my daily carbs have never exceeded more than 4 or 5.

If you have any more questions, just ask and we'll try to answer to the best of our abilities based on our experiences...

Once again Welcome!
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-16, 06:15
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
Hi there warriors, had family drama yesterday. I did feel myself wanting to sink into the carb pit. I found out something interesting about myself, that I am an emotional eater. Today everyone has calmed down. I don't think I could take another day like yesterday.

I ate OP but boy I wanted the carbs. After adding it all up I did very well, Crisis averted. I would have had the family drama plus all the problems too many carbs would bring to deal with if I would have given in.
Sorry to hear about your family drama! But boy oh boy you sure did stay WARRIOR STRONG! Woot! Woot!
I think a lot of us are emotional eaters but you know what, that's okay! Here's what Dr. A says:

Diet Revolution pg 35 “Eating When Upset”
Quote:
"Every time you're upset I want you to go straight to the refrigerator and eat some protein food. I don't want to take away the role that food plays as a salver of injured feelings or a lifter of depression. I merely want you to make sure that the food is not carbohydrates."
Quote:
Did the sugar addict test, yes to all of it but I don't allow myself to get derailed. My former self could identify with all of the questions.
Yep, I can commiserate with you there! Seriously, we wouldn't be HERE if we weren't addicted to sugar/carbs, eh?
Quote:
I'm reading about a Dr who stayed on a carb controlled diet for half his life. But he stayed on a 75 carbs per day regiment. That would have never worked for me. I remember one day I happened to consume 35 carbs after doing KETO for several months. Between my digestive system and my racing heart I got a wake up call. I need to keep it as close to zero as I can get it. But if that works for him that's good.
There's many people that can do more carbs than those of us here... If I am not mistaken I think the SAD is around 300-400 carbs a day. So anything under 100 carbs is considered LOW Carb...

But much like you, I don't venture at all past Induction level carbs for several reasons. 1) I'm afraid that it would awaken "Fat Jo" and 2) Staying ultra low carb affords me these benefits: Appetite, craving suppression and a lot of energy!

And at the end of the day:

“Nothing Tastes as Good as Being at my Personal Weight Goal Feels!”
Quote:
Hope everyone has a fantastic day;

Blessings and Peace;
Thanks and you too, Judy!
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-16, 06:30
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahmaria
Hello Everyone – Hope you all had a great holiday on the fourth!
Hello and WELCOME back, leahmaria and thanks, I had a fab-tastic 100% OP 4th!
Quote:
I haven’t been on here for a while because I went into a deep depression and went totally off program. It got so bad I was buying anywhere from 16-24 big cream-filled frosted donuts at our local Tim Horton’s coffee shop and that’s what I ate all day. I had ballooned up to 284 lbs. – I could hardly move enough to get in the car, couldn’t fit in the bathtub, and was pretty much lying down all day because of the pain in my back and knees. I figured that my obituary was going to read “Death by Donuts,” and so help me, I didn’t care!
So sorry to hear about your depression and going off plan!

BUT the most important thing is that you are BACK to what you know works!
Quote:
Anyway, my son insisted I get help, and I was referred to a psychiatrist who put me on new medications and I’ve been feeling so much better that I knew I could tackle the weight problem again. I’ve been back on Atkins ’72 induction now for about 4-1/2 months and my weight has gone down to 242 lbs. No cheating at all – not once!
WOW huge CONGRATS on staying 100% OP for 4.5 months! That's super duper terrific! Woot! Woot!

Quote:
As part of my treatment, my psychiatrist insisted that I go to a dietician to get my binge eating under control, and the trouble is the dietician doesn’t even want to hear about the Atkins diet – not even the new one. I’ve had blood tests done and they show that my blood sugars and cholesterol levels are fine and she is still trying to get me to add brown rice, whole wheat bread and berries to my diet. My family doctor has no problem with Atkins, so I may have to ask her to send a letter to my psychiatrist asking him to back off on the dietician. We’ll see what happens.
Most dietitians don't KNOW SHIT... I know b/c I have a degree in Nutrition and I was taught the SAD! Pffffffffffffffft!

I agree, have your fam doctor tell your psychiatrist to back off on the ill-informed dietitian! To me, if your medical test numbers are good, what da heck do you need the dietitian for especially since you are losing weight!
Quote:
In the meantime, I’ve been invited to a family graduation party for my granddaughter who is going to university in the fall, and I’ve told them I’ll come if I can bring my own food! Sorry this is so long – I’m just venting a bit here.
Good for you! That's the only way to be über successful is when YOU control your own food!

No worries about the long post and you can vent here as MUCH as you like!
Quote:
PS I read the article mentioned above, and could answer Yes to almost all the questions - a sugar addict I yam I yam for sure!
Yep BUT we know HOW to fix that addiction with A '72 Induction HARD CORE!

Keep Fighting the GOOD Hard Fight, leahmaria, b/c YOU are so WORTH IT!

Last edited by Just Jo : Thu, Jul-07-16 at 06:31. Reason: Option F: Fixin' Flippin' typos ~ as usual! Pfffffffffft!
Closed Thread