Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-18, 09:55
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I totally agree. Since I'm up at 3:30am and not "loosened up," getting out the door and walking for an hour always makes my entire day better, both physically and psychologically. Even younguns understand that.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-18, 20:42
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Cut out that stick of gum after lunch and you could lose almost two pounds in a year.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-18, 21:45

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Yup.
Fun thread.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-18, 08:01

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Cut out that stick of gum after lunch and you could lose almost two pounds in a year.

I'm going to start chewing 10 sticks of gum daily, then give them up, so that I can effortlessly lose 20 lbs this year!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 08:40

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

No, no, no, we've got our thinking backward. Think of all those calories burned chewing gum. At least...several! Counts toward move more, ya know?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-18, 05:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

A coding friend of mine and I agree: we THINK enough to burn calories!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-18, 06:29

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
we THINK enough to burn calories!
Didn't I read somewhere that the brain indeed uses a great many calories? My project for the day: track down that information. Typing burns calories, too.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-18, 20:34

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Yeah, the brain is an expensive organ. I went searching too and I found interesting stuff. For example Kleiber's Law. Basically, the bigger we are, the lower the REE/m (resting energy expenditure per mass), and the higher the total REE. Anyways, the point is some organs are so much more expensive than others that the brain for example (and especially because it's also much heavier than the other expensive tissues like the liver or the heart) could easily make up for a drop in REE elsewhere. On the other hand, when we use our brains more, we also tend to use everything else less, i.e. we gonna sit and think rather than run and think, ya?

Then there's the reverse. If we move more, we gonna think less. Never mind for the moment about the REE stuff. Instead, consider that thinking is a skill like any other skill we develop and improve with practice, and doing less of it means we aren't as skilled as we could be. It doesn't necessarily mean that active people are less smart, it means there's a tendency to think less when we move more, that's all. On the other hand, it's possible that active people tend to think more in practical terms and less in theoretical terms, when they do sit down and think about stuff. Then by extension, it's also possible their thought process is much shorter, i.e. more efficient at arriving to a decision.

Personally, I often lay down to rest and think, then get up to write down the stuff I figured out. I doubt I'd figure things out as easily by taking a walk for example, my brain would be relatively too occupied with other stuff.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-18, 07:58

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Yeah, the brain is an expensive organ. I went searching too and I found interesting stuff. For example Kleiber's Law. Basically, the bigger we are, the lower the REE/m (resting energy expenditure per mass), and the higher the total REE. Anyways, the point is some organs are so much more expensive than others that the brain for example (and especially because it's also much heavier than the other expensive tissues like the liver or the heart) could easily make up for a drop in REE elsewhere. On the other hand, when we use our brains more, we also tend to use everything else less, i.e. we gonna sit and think rather than run and think, ya?

Then there's the reverse. If we move more, we gonna think less. Never mind for the moment about the REE stuff. Instead, consider that thinking is a skill like any other skill we develop and improve with practice, and doing less of it means we aren't as skilled as we could be. It doesn't necessarily mean that active people are less smart, it means there's a tendency to think less when we move more, that's all. On the other hand, it's possible that active people tend to think more in practical terms and less in theoretical terms, when they do sit down and think about stuff. Then by extension, it's also possible their thought process is much shorter, i.e. more efficient at arriving to a decision.

Personally, I often lay down to rest and think, then get up to write down the stuff I figured out. I doubt I'd figure things out as easily by taking a walk for example, my brain would be relatively too occupied with other stuff.

This kinda blew my mind lol great read
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-18, 08:28

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

The thinking process is indeed complex. I've learned to trust my "back brain" quite a lot. In other words, feed the brain the problem, then do something else. Let the "back brain" work on it for a while. I suppose this could be the ideal combination of thinking and doing.

As a poet, I know that "inspiration" happens when the brain puts two and two together and gets...a gazillion. A person can practice getting "inspiration" but the real thing has been responsible for many a "Eureka!!" in science as well as poetry.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-18, 09:08

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

Old people who sit in recliners most of the day end up having to sleep in those very same recliners because they're unable to get up out of them any more.

This is why they make those "lift chairs." LOL

Before retirement, my employer changed our workstations from sitting to standing, using the excuse that productivity would increase. I developed foot and leg pain, but did not lose any weight. You can snack as much standing up as you can sitting down it seems.