Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%
Thumbs up 15 yr old with irregular periods and lc experiment

I wanted to post our experiences here even though the gyn said that my daughter's blood work showed she does not have pcos. Of course that same gyn looked my 15 yr old inthe eye and said, "Lets put you on the pill. It will regulate your periods because you appear not to be ovulating. Some day you will probably have trouble getting pregnant but at this point in your life that is the least of your worries." I had brought my daughter to the gyn bewcause I suspected PCOS. Her periods had jsut about disappeared for a year (one every 6 months or so), though she ate healthy food in reasonable portions, she kept gaining weigh (about 20 pounds overweight). Most of her weight is in her belly and she does have some excess hair growth. I certainly did not expect to be brushed off with a perscription for hormones. Anyone with a teenager knows that we have enough hormones to go around! I decided to hold off on the hormones and try low carbing. I chose Atkins because I felt(based on past experience) that she needed to go pretty low on daily carb consumption in order to see any results. This is week 11 on Atkins. She is now eating between 30 and 40 carbs per day (most of which come from veggies). Though the weight loss has been frustratingly slow for her, it is actually a very healthy reasonable pace. She has lost 6 pounds! More importantly,IMHO, is that she has had her period twice in that time!!! We have an appointment with an endocrinologist in March and I plan to go in with all of my documented evidence in hand. I really believe that there is an insulin resistence going on here which threw off her hormones and periods. Any comments and suggestions are always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 13:58

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

i think based on the results your daughter has had lcing that you may be on to something. and i think checking further into is a great idea. besides if there is a possibility that she may have trouble conceiving that is not something that should wait that should be checked into now if there is a problem it could lead to other things.

my humble advise is go to the endocrinologist and find a new Gyn doctor for her. someone who will check her out completely and give you a definite opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 07:49

BF:

I couldn't agree more jedswife. We did have an ultra sound taken this past week and every thing looks ok there also. I will just keep piling up the evidence until we get to the endocrinologist and hopefully find someone who is willing and able to help us find some answers. It is so frustrating how many doctors don't listen and simply hand out drugs of convenience.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 09:09

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

oh that's good. i am glad the ultrasound came out fine. you know she could just be one of those girls who are irregular, but dont stop checking it out.

you and i both know that Gyn. problems can affect everything and you especially want to try to fix any problems you can now - so she has every chance of becoming a mother like you later in life.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 11:02

BF:

Agreed Jesdswife. I can't think of too many more stupid things to say to a 15 yr old..."Oh sorry you probably won't ever get pregnant. No worries." Especially without any testing for evidence. So many things can be changed especially if treated early on. I wrote this thread because I want to encourage those who have not had success with their docs to not give up and to look for alternatives.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 09:19

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

Hey I had some issues with my gyno recently...I am 25 years old and I started my period when I was 8 years old it has always been irregular and I went to the doctor when I was 14 years old and they said I had cyst on my ovaries but it was probably reoccuring cyst that would go away in time..they also tried to put me on the pill but my mom told them no..Well now I have a dumb idiot doctor who thinks that we women work by the book...as if...Well I explained that I had been diagnosed with PCOS and I was wanting to get on Glucophage to help me lose weight since I had been on many low calorie low fat diets with no weight loss...well he still insisted I go on a diet that the issue would go away once I lost weight???Hello I had just told him I had this issue when I was 14 and I always weighed around 125-135 and he still didn't listen...just told me if I could find a doctor to prescribe the meds go ahead and switch...Well needless to say I went off on him and left crying and pissed...Alot of doctors don't listen and if they do they don't believe what they hear...even if the evidence is right in there face...I wish you the most of luck with getting help for your daughter and I think you are making the right choice by seeing a endo..GOOD LUCK

Last edited by happygrrl : Mon, Dec-08-03 at 10:59.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:56

BF:

Thanks happygrrl. I was sorry to hear about your experience with your most recent doctor. My sexist first reaction was to suggest you find a female doctor. Then I remembered that the gyn I took my daughter to was female and a whole lot of good that did! I guess the answer is finding a doctor that truely listens (male or female) and perhaps one with a specialty in PCOS. Doctor shopping is unpleasant but a good doctor can make all the difference. Good luck in finding yours!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 14:41

BF:

Just a quick update to our "experiment" results so far. A little over three months into lc'ing and three periods later I think we are definately onto something. Amazing. Last year my dd had 2 periods total, 5-6 months apart. Now they are "regularly" 5-6 weeks apart. I can't wait to see what the endo. has to say in March.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 23:22

Congrats to your daughter....Thats great I wish I would have one naturally...Without having to take the provera...But it is great to hear that its working for her.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 14:06

BF:

Don't give up yet happygrrl. You may find that as you lose weight and your body fat ratio goes down that your periods will kick into gear also. My daughter started out with about 20 pounds to lose so it happened faster for her. Body fat ratio and lowering carbs seem to be integral. Good luck! You have alread lost almost 30 lbs! Way to go!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 21:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/lc friendly dietician
Stats: 220/209/140 Female 5'4"
BF:44%/?/20%
Progress: 14%
Thumbs up good job

your daughter should be so happy to have you for a mother.

a lot of people don't even know what PCOS is.

you may be saving her reproductive life, and you may be saving her life literally. insulin resistance can lead to diabetes, heart disease, etc. (as you already know)

good job mum!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:18

BF:

Thanks so much Steph. It can be hard to fight an uphill battle. Doctor's often are misinformed and aren't willing to listen. Doctor shopping can be frustrating and costly. Changing one's lifestyle isn't top of my daughter's hit parade either. Peer pressure and the general lousy eating habits of America's teen's makes it a constant battle. So a little pat on the back goes a long way. I appreciate your vote of support
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 14:01

Hey I just thought I would post an update...My doctor (the one I complained about before) is acting so much nicer to me and listening to what I am saying since I lost weight...I don't know if he thought I was trying to get a quick fix or what but he is actually running more test with no questions and listening to what I have to say...By the way how are things going with your daughter?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 21:49

BF:

Congrats on your weight loss happygrrl! Is it helping you feel any better? I am glad that your doctor is listening to you now. It is so frustrating when doctors assume they know it all and that willpower and overeating are the issues with every weight problem. Is he willing to give you the Glucophage now?
My daughter has continued lc'ing at about 35-40 grams/day. She has had her period three times now at about 5-6 weeks apart. Progress I think! Weight is another story. We are still battling the same 5 pounds up and down. She had gone down in inches though and was able to buy some jean two sizes smaller! I really hope the endocrinologist will have the knowledge to give us some guidance when we see her for the first time in March. Until then we can only keep trying
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:36

OH OH...The glucophage is not even on my mind anymore...I read alot about it and I think I see now why the doc wouldn't prescribe it...ALot of side effects...I am losing at a pretty steady rate 3.5lbs week average and I am hoping with the weight coming off my health will get better on its own...He is running the test though so I will know where I stand...I still haven't had a period and that is another issue I have with my doctor...I don't want to keep taking provera every month...I want to have a normal period...It can't be healthy for a 25 year old to have to take a pill to onset a period...It just worries me that I don't have one and I know that can lead to other issues...Oh and there is also the fact that my pap smear came back perfect...I question this greatly being every one I have had for the past 6 years have been irregular and I would think if I am not having my period that it would still be irregular...I am looking into a new doctor for this...Wish me luck...

Your daughter's menstral cycles sound like they have a course they run and thats good...At least she is having one and its not to far from the normal...How overweight is your daughter? Just wondering if it is getting better as she losses or from the way she eats...Good luck